Naked users forgotten?

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
ForumAdmin

Re: Naked users forgotten?

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:40 pm

vbap wrote:
rseydler wrote: However if it is more cost effective to have a wireline and not use it then so be it :)
This is the confusing bit for me. According to FA, the wireline plans are "profitable" due to people actually using the PSTN for phone calls. If you were to change to a wireline plan, but not use it, then I don't see how you are any more profitable to Exetel than when you were under a naked plan (unless the supplier provides wireline ports at a discount to naked ports - but I thought that it was previously said a naked port is about $2 less per month than a wireline port?)
It's actually $3.00 at the moment.

However it isn't just the port difference.

The cost of multiple processes and multiple support is also a cost.

The split of the two services reduces the discounts on both.

There are other issues

rm555

Post by rm555 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:01 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:...something like the current 'bundled plans' plus a $5.00 included VoIP allocation.
I would actually prefer this to being transferred to a plan with a PSTN included which will simply remain unused. I don't mind paying a bit more than those on a PSTN plan as long as it's the best deal that Exetel can offer its Naked customers.

dritz2003

Post by dritz2003 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:40 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We will seek current naked customer's views on this via email offering a free transfer to a wire line service on a 12 month contract at no more than they are currently paying except they use Exetel's VoIP service.
I would like to take advantage of this. Please advise when this offer will be available.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:03 am

dritz2003 wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:We will seek current naked customer's views on this via email offering a free transfer to a wire line service on a 12 month contract at no more than they are currently paying except they use Exetel's VoIP service.
I would like to take advantage of this. Please advise when this offer will be available.
It will need to be finalised over the next few days with a probable date of next Sunday.

kefa

Post by kefa » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:14 am

vbap wrote:
rseydler wrote: However if it is more cost effective to have a wireline and not use it then so be it :)
This is the confusing bit for me. According to FA, the wireline plans are "profitable" due to people actually using the PSTN for phone calls. If you were to change to a wireline plan, but not use it, then I don't see how you are any more profitable to Exetel than when you were under a naked plan (unless the supplier provides wireline ports at a discount to naked ports - but I thought that it was previously said a naked port is about $2 less per month than a wireline port?)
I totally agree. If I move back to a PSTN plan, I'm not going to use the PSTN line at all and will continue to use VOIP only. In addition I will have a higher download quota. So I will be paying the same amount as I'm paying now but exetel will have an additional $3 cost for the PSTN line. Also my additional download quota will cost exetel more too. How does that work out better for exetel? I would also think there would be quite a few people on the OTxx plans who are only going to use VOIP. So I'm not convinced by this argument that PSTN voice calls are going to subsidise these plans.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:51 am

kefa wrote:
vbap wrote:
I totally agree. If I move back to a PSTN plan, I'm not going to use the PSTN line at all and will continue to use VOIP only. In addition I will have a higher download quota. So I will be paying the same amount as I'm paying now but exetel will have an additional $3 cost for the PSTN line. Also my additional download quota will cost exetel more too. How does that work out better for exetel? I would also think there would be quite a few people on the OTxx plans who are only going to use VOIP. So I'm not convinced by this argument that PSTN voice calls are going to subsidise these plans.
If you used Exetel VoIP then it would be of benefit to Exetel.

vbap

Post by vbap » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:55 am

I inferred from FA's posts that:

By consolidating more customers onto a wirelan plan, support costs are reduced (making up for some of the pure port cost differences)

There would be a minimum VoIP spend requirement (eg $5) (although maybe that could be a minimum call spend requirement VoIP and/or PSTN - for those who would revert to using PSTN) - maybe this would be a new plan - instead of bundled with mobile cap, it is bundled with $5 "call" plan? I would assume VoIP does have *some* profit - maybe at $5 spend it brings in 50 cents??

There are "Other factors"

Hopefully, the number crunching works (it appears to be a very fine line...). I would be willing to switch at no cost, but with a minimum call spend. (well, I hope that minimum spend would include all VoIP services - calls, SMS, etc)

sedaai

Post by sedaai » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:07 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
vbap wrote:
We will seek current naked customer's views on this via email offering a free transfer to a wire line service on a 12 month contract at no more than they are currently paying except they use Exetel's VoIP service.
Shame I didn't see this post earlier, I just converted from a Naked > PSTN service today to take advantage of your unlimited plan, unfortunately I had to pay the $98 conversion fee.

Ahh well.

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:03 pm

Looking forward to the results on Sunday...

Should exetel remove the naked plans from the website for new customers? Maybe something saying naked is of lesser value?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:09 pm

rseydler wrote:Looking forward to the results on Sunday...

Should exetel remove the naked plans from the website for new customers? Maybe something saying naked is of lesser value?
We will probably do that next week.

Currently, for whatever reason, the biggest percentage of ADSL2 sign ups are for 'naked'.

We therefore need to get a compelling story in place before we do that.

TheBenjiManCan

Post by TheBenjiManCan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:14 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: Currently, for whatever reason, the biggest percentage of ADSL2 sign ups are for 'naked'.
For mine, this is partly because a lot of people just don't do their homework. A potential new sign-up probably knows of persons A,B,C,D on 'Naked', hearing how good it's been, and monkey-see monkey-do, they sign up, not realising these new bundle deals exist that are probably better for them.

I am a 'Naked' user and am keenly awaiting this switchback proposal.
For me, it doesn't make much difference either way (financially or quotas), but what I expect to get back is more choice in future plan options, the ability to plug in a line powered handset in event of power outage, and for '000' to immediately know where I am again.

One thing I am curious about .... I am a PSTN # to VOIP # convert. Does this impact the proposed switchback ? Will my VOIP #, which was my previous PSTN #, remain the same ? Or will it become my PSTN # once again, and I'll get a new VOIP # for my outbound calls ?

Finally, the one thing I fear in all this ... these bundles appear they will succeed/fail based on people making calls. So what happens if Optus/Exetel don't achieve the margins they expect ? service costs have to go up, and that will be passed onto subscribers as "regretful increases in the cost of provisioning", and the bundle plans ain't so cheap anymore ...... hello 'Naked' plans once again.
Certainly, you would have to predict that the majority of existing 'Naked' subscribers switching back to wireline aren't going to use the PSTN line to make calls, and that would have an inevitable impact on the success rate of the plans. I guess that explains the thought of only allowing the switchback on an inclusice VOIP pack arrangement for 12 months.

Or perhaps what we are seeing here is somekind of convergence in telecommunications and the super-cheap bundle is here to stay ...... in which case ... Hasta-la-vista 'Naked'.

.....as with everything....only time will tell.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:30 am

Hi,
One thing I am curious about .... I am a PSTN # to VOIP # convert. Does this impact the proposed switchback ? Will my VOIP #, which was my previous PSTN #, remain the same ? Or will it become my PSTN # once again, and I'll get a new VOIP # for my outbound calls ?
If a Naked ADSL2 user such as yourself reverts back to a bundle, a new PSTN(and thus newly generated number) would be assinged. Your VOIP number will remain a VOIP number.

kefa

Post by kefa » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:05 pm

any updates on how much it will cost the poor cousins on naked adsl to move back onto PSTN plans?

oldman

Post by oldman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:52 pm

kefa wrote:any updates on how much it will cost the poor cousins on naked adsl to move back onto PSTN plans?
+1

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:41 pm

We are still working with Optus to see how this can best be accomplished.