Naked users forgotten?

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
wood888

Re: Naked users forgotten?

Post by wood888 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:08 am

vbap wrote: No - this has been mentioned by FA in a previous post in this thread.
Thats ridiculous, i pay $40 a month with $3-4 worth of voip calls and i never reach my download limit.
So why should i pay an extra $20 for basically the same package im going to use.

Yes i do get more download limit, but i still wont use past the original limit on my original plan. Hence not really getting anything extra.
I don't use a PSTN phone as the line is crappy in my area and i get a lot of static on the line which i don't get with VOIP, so ill still be using VOIP for all the calls.

What annoys me the most is that if i dont want to move onto my new plan they are going to increase my current plan by an extra $10.

Surely Exetel can put a low end download Naked plan for users that only use the internet for browsing and making VOIP calls, instead of just the one 200GB plan.

Thanks and hopefully someone from Exetel can answer why they cant provide a Naked plan for low end users.

vbap

Post by vbap » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:30 am

wood888 wrote:
Surely Exetel can put a low end download Naked plan for users that only use the internet for browsing and making VOIP calls, instead of just the one 200GB plan.

Thanks and hopefully someone from Exetel can answer why they cant provide a Naked plan for low end users.
John Linton's blog posts have described this in some detail for a month or so now.
FA has posted in this thread a few times with the rationale.
It might seem tedious reading from the beginning, but it really helps to put it into context.

Basically exetel have stopped offering naked plans altogether.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:45 am

...by the way, John Linton's blogs are available at johnl.blogs.exetel.com.au

Some posts that deal with the "uncrippling" of Naked plans and the rationale are https://johnl.blogs.exetel.com.au/index ... ......html and https://johnl.blogs.exetel.com.au/index ... ......html
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

simonb69

Post by simonb69 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:12 am

So, what's in this for me?

Given that I'm going to be worse of under the new plan is there anything else to tempt me to stay?

What are these new upgrades mentioned in the January newsletter? Will I see any benefits from these with improved latency?

I know I probably fit in to a minority group here but I have to look at my options.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:22 pm

simonb69 wrote:So, what's in this for me?

Given that I'm going to be worse of under the new plan is there anything else to tempt me to stay?

What are these new upgrades mentioned in the January newsletter? Will I see any benefits from these with improved latency?

I know I probably fit in to a minority group here but I have to look at my options.
Well....you could look at it this way.....you've been getting a service up to now below the cost of providing it so you have saved some money. You are now being asked to pay a price that barely covers the cost you are being asked to pay. Perhaps there are other suppliers who buy better than Exetel or who are prepared to lose money providing services and may be you could change to one of them. Otherwise you can pay a little more to Exetel to allow us to stay in business and keep providing services at the lowest possible costs.

In any scenario it's your decision and you aren't being inconvenienced in any way pending you making your own decision.

seamus5

Post by seamus5 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi,

I am a current Naked user and am evaluating the new OCV offer before the Jan 31st deadline.

I am interested in bundling my wifes mobile phone with the cap19 product but have a couple of questions.

- Does my wifes phone need to be in my name before I can transfer & bundle with the existing account?
- Does the OCV 200/19 bundle offer expire at the end of the month, or can I just take up the vanilla OCV 200 plan and bundle at a later time?

She is currently under contract so I would have to weigh up costs of various break fees in order to take up the offer.

Thanks.

sarasvasti

Post by sarasvasti » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:12 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a naked user at present (out of contract) and I've been trying to follow the forum but am still a little confused re the new offer - I'm keen to take it up (given the $10 increase on out of contract users anyway) but would like clarification re the free local, national and Optus mobile calls ...
1) once I've taken up the offer, when I pick up the phone to call friends (who have landlines), will the calls be free?
2) Will I be using VOIP or the PSTN line when I call them?
3) Or will I need to know all the ins and outs re switching between making VOIP calls and using the PSTN line to be able to take advantage of the free calls?
Given my ignorance around most things IT, I'm looking for super simple - pick up the phone and dial - and get the free calls :)
4) Also, my partner is with Optus pre-paid - do we know for sure if calls to an Optus pre-paid mobile are free?

Any assistance would be much appreciated :)
Kind regards,
Sarasvasti

quop

Post by quop » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:47 am

Hi all, I'm not a regular on these forums so apologies if I'm treading old ground (I only come on to read up on big changes such as these)... but would it be worth having some sort of FAQ for this change? The invitation email doesn't provide sufficient detail for those with questions about this that and the other, and the only other links provided in the email are to this forum thread or to the service change page. The majority of my questions have answers which are tucked away within the 16 (and counting) pages of this thread, and in trawling through them I notice that several of them have been answered more than once, which seems ideal for a FAQ - perhaps it could be attached to the service change page?

Some candidates for inclusion (based on links to posts by ForumAdmin/Exetel staff): Note that I have not included any items in relation to the mobile phone plan option (eg porting in etc) as this is of no personal relevance to me (hence I have not spent time reading up on it). Also, it's probably worth noting for the less techie that to make PSTN outgoing calls you may need to reconfigure your router or modem/ATA (see viewtopic.php?f=24&t=37194&p=285681#p285681).

HTH!

Lastly, on a personal note, given Exetel's decision to no longer offer Naked plans, and to increase the admin charge for old plans, it really does come down to either switching to these new plans, or switching ISPs. Nobody wants to spend more money unnecessarily but I'm hard pressed to find similar value elsewhere for under $60/month for my requirements, so I'll be (hopefully) helping Exetel stay afloat :)

edited to clarify VOIP to PSTN porting as per affinity's comments
Last edited by quop on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:24 am

quop wrote:[*]It is possible to port your existing VOIP number to PSTN (rather than having a new PSTN allocated) - this process is longer (around 5-10 days) and is not actually available yet
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=37194&p=284533#p284533 and viewtopic.php?f=24&t=37194&p=285496#p285496
NB: This is only possible if you ported your original PSTN number to a VoIP number. If you did not port your number and you chose a VoIP number otherwise, that number cannot become your PSTN number, it can only remain as your VoIP number.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:34 am

quop wrote:Hi all, I'm not a regular on these forums so apologies if I'm treading old ground (I only come on to read up on big changes such as these)... but would it be worth having some sort of FAQ for this change? The invitation email doesn't provide sufficient detail for those with questions about this that and the other, and the only other links provided in the email are to this forum thread or to the service change page. The majority of my questions have answers which are tucked away within the 16 (and counting) pages of this thread, and in trawling through them I notice that several of them have been answered more than once, which seems ideal for a FAQ - perhaps it could be attached to the service change page?

Some candidates for inclusion (based on links to posts by ForumAdmin/Exetel staff): Note that I have not included any items in relation to the mobile phone plan option (eg porting in etc) as this is of no personal relevance to me (hence I have not spent time reading up on it). Also, it's probably worth noting for the less techie that to make PSTN outgoing calls you may need to reconfigure your router or modem/ATA (see viewtopic.php?f=24&t=37194&p=285681#p285681).

HTH!

Lastly, on a personal note, given Exetel's decision to no longer offer Naked plans, and to increase the admin charge for old plans, it really does come down to either switching to these new plans, or switching ISPs. Nobody wants to spend more money unnecessarily but I'm hard pressed to find similar value elsewhere for under $60/month for my requirements, so I'll be (hopefully) helping Exetel stay afloat :)
Good idea - I've asked for it to be done.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:36 am

sarasvasti wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm a naked user at present (out of contract) and I've been trying to follow the forum but am still a little confused re the new offer - I'm keen to take it up (given the $10 increase on out of contract users anyway) but would like clarification re the free local, national and Optus mobile calls ...
1) once I've taken up the offer, when I pick up the phone to call friends (who have landlines), will the calls be free?
2) Will I be using VOIP or the PSTN line when I call them?
3) Or will I need to know all the ins and outs re switching between making VOIP calls and using the PSTN line to be able to take advantage of the free calls?
Given my ignorance around most things IT, I'm looking for super simple - pick up the phone and dial - and get the free calls :)
4) Also, my partner is with Optus pre-paid - do we know for sure if calls to an Optus pre-paid mobile are free?

Any assistance would be much appreciated :)
Kind regards,
Sarasvasti
1) Yes
2) PSTN not VoIP
3) You just pick up your PSTN handset
4) Yes - any Optus mobile number

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:44 am

wood888 wrote:Is there going to be any plan for the low end users?
As i want to keep my VOIP as my PSTN line is crappy and had a lot of noise through before i moved to VOIP,
but i only use 10GB a month and dont want to pay $60 a month
Probably - $50.00 per month for 10 gb.

craigj

Post by craigj » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:35 am

ForumAdmin wrote:Probably - $50.00 per month for 10 gb.
Any more details? Any off-peak or other benefits?

flak

Post by flak » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:42 am

Sorry if this has been covered, but this is a long thread.

Is it possible for Exetel users who currently have Optus based ADSL2 with a bundled phone (ie non naked) to move onto these plans? I realise there is probably some incentive from Optus which precludes this, but it's worth asking.

My father currently has and OTA ADSL2 service and an Exetel (maybe Vodafone, not Optus, can't discern from the Members' facilities) mobile and this bundle would represent great value, even though he only uses about 2GB a month, if that.

Col

Post by Col » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:54 pm

flak wrote:Sorry if this has been covered, but this is a long thread.

Is it possible for Exetel users who currently have Optus based ADSL2 with a bundled phone (ie non naked) to move onto these plans? I realise there is probably some incentive from Optus which precludes this, but it's worth asking.

My father currently has and OTA ADSL2 service and an Exetel (maybe Vodafone, not Optus, can't discern from the Members' facilities) mobile and this bundle would represent great value, even though he only uses about 2GB a month, if that.
viewtopic.php?p=285751#p285751