Naked users forgotten?

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
brenroy

Re: Naked users forgotten?

Post by brenroy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:29 pm

If I change from the naked service to one with the PSTN line would I be able to have the number of the service before it went naked? I know my present account name uses this number, but I'm not sure if the number was returned to the pool of numbers when I went naked.
Thanks

mal68

Post by mal68 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:33 pm

Hi

I think the plans are a bit too much $ for me but I have one question in regards to the below plan

OCV – 200 for $60.00 per month

Is this an adsl or adsl2 service????

I assume adsl2 would be generally faster than a naked service to th same address, but not so sure about an adsl

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:58 pm

mal68 wrote:Is this an adsl or adsl2 service????
ADSL2+ service.
mal68 wrote:I assume adsl2 would be generally faster than a naked service to th same address, but not so sure about an adsl
I'm not sure why you would think that ADSL2 would be faster than a naked service? ADSL2+ speeds are independent of whether you have a naked or provisioned PSTN line.

mal68

Post by mal68 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:03 pm

Klaas wrote:ADSL2+ service.
Cool
Klaas wrote:I'm not sure why you would think that ADSL2 would be faster than a naked service? ADSL2+ speeds are independent of whether you have a naked or provisioned PSTN line.
Well from someone who has no idea about whether it is or not, it seems strange that no one has raised the speed issue at all. Therefore I guessed that whatever the plan is, it must be somewhat faster than Naked or at least the same.

Anyway, so what your telling me is adsl2 should in fact be the same speed as naked?

slave1

Post by slave1 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:05 pm

brenroy wrote:If I change from the naked service to one with the PSTN line would I be able to have the number of the service before it went naked? I know my present account name uses this number, but I'm not sure if the number was returned to the pool of numbers when I went naked.
Thanks
I too would like to know this. Thanks.

satyr

Post by satyr » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:07 pm

Special Offer To Current Exetel “Naked’ Plan Users

Unfortunately these new plans will cost me around $15 more a month and offer me nothing new that I need.

I'm currently on ONB - $45 / month (+$3 Admin fee) with 5 GB / "Unlimited" Naked.

I don't need more than 5 GB peak.

And I have VOIP with another provider giving me 60 calls a month to landlines free to 30 countries. I've never run out of the monthly 60 calls. They've supplied all the equipment too. Calls to mobiles cost $0.15 / minute, except to overseas mobiles, which are also very competitively priced. But I rarely make calls to mobiles anyway. Recently I helped someone else sign up to them and they have rewarded me with a years free VOIP for that. So basically I have no need for a PSTN. Additionally I would need to purchase PSTN equipment, including filters if I were to go Exetels new plans, pay extra $15 a month, and I wouldn't be surprised if the $3 Admin fee is tacked on it down the line either.

If Exetel is moving away from Naked and VOIP then I would like to know with certainty ASAP so that I can take up offers from other ISP's with reasonable NAKED plans, and even one which is offering new modems, and more freebies if I sign up before their offer expires.

Some have mentioned on other forums that John Linton discussed these, but I don't follow John and don't know where on his forum he has discussed whether he will be phasing out NAKED plans, moving existing customers to the new PSTN plans, etc. If someone can link me, or give me reliable information that my current plan won't be pulled from me I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:22 pm

mal68 wrote:
Klaas wrote:ADSL2+ service.
Cool
Klaas wrote:I'm not sure why you would think that ADSL2 would be faster than a naked service? ADSL2+ speeds are independent of whether you have a naked or provisioned PSTN line.
Well from someone who has no idea about whether it is or not, it seems strange that no one has raised the speed issue at all. Therefore I guessed that whatever the plan is, it must be somewhat faster than Naked or at least the same.

Anyway, so what your telling me is adsl2 should in fact be the same speed as naked?
Naked simply means you don't have a dial tone on your phone line. It has nothing to do with ADSL1 or ADSL2+ or the speeds you get.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:26 pm

satyr wrote:Special Offer To Current Exetel “Naked’ Plan Users

Unfortunately these new plans will cost me around $15 more a month and offer me nothing new that I need.

I'm currently on ONB - $45 / month (+$3 Admin fee) with 5 GB / "Unlimited" Naked.

I don't need more than 5 GB peak.

And I have VOIP with another provider giving me 60 calls a month to landlines free to 30 countries. I've never run out of the monthly 60 calls. They've supplied all the equipment too. Calls to mobiles cost $0.15 / minute, except to overseas mobiles, which are also very competitively priced. But I rarely make calls to mobiles anyway. Recently I helped someone else sign up to them and they have rewarded me with a years free VOIP for that. So basically I have no need for a PSTN. Additionally I would need to purchase PSTN equipment, including filters if I were to go Exetels new plans, pay extra $15 a month, and I wouldn't be surprised if the $3 Admin fee is tacked on it down the line either.

If Exetel is moving away from Naked and VOIP then I would like to know with certainty ASAP so that I can take up offers from other ISP's with reasonable NAKED plans, and even one which is offering new modems, and more freebies if I sign up before their offer expires.

Some have mentioned on other forums that John Linton discussed these, but I don't follow John and don't know where on his forum he has discussed whether he will be phasing out NAKED plans, moving existing customers to the new PSTN plans, etc. If someone can link me, or give me reliable information that my current plan won't be pulled from me I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
You don't have to use the PSTN service if you don't want to, it'll just be there as a backup, I guess, so you don't really need to purchase any PSTN equipment.

John Linton's blog contains a number of posts concerning the value propositions in offering naked vs provisioned.

cipherstream

Post by cipherstream » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:40 pm

I am currently on a Naked ADSL2 plan with VOIP.

This new plan mentions that you get a PSTN line which works again. Does this mean you have to pay line rental in order to use it to do outging or accept incoming calls? If you have a working PSTN line then to me it seems that it is no longer a "naked" plan which is why I ask about line rental.

As for the capped mobile plans, if I were to switch the two mobiles we have here onto that cap35 plan for example, would I save 2 x $15 off my ADSL plan? Therefore giving me the $60 plan for $30, but with the addition of $70 of mobile on top of the $30 for a total of $100 per month.

Can I keep my existing mobile phone numbers which are currently through vodaphone?

Lastly the info on the capped mobile plans say there is no contract, so can you confirm that I can stop using the capped mobile plan at any time and just continue to pay the $60 for the example I gave above? Also could I switch between the cap19 and cap35 plans each month if I desired?

thx

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:12 pm

cipherstream wrote: If you have a working PSTN line then to me it seems that it is no longer a "naked" plan
That's the whole point - moving current users away from Naked plans.

Line rental is included in the $60 per month, as it states in the user facilities, when you look at the "Change Plan" tab.

I can't answer your questions about the mobile services, hopefully someone else can provide those.

roby

Post by roby » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:26 pm

Do we get the ten dollar discount off our adsl if we have the $19 mobile plan or $20 discount if we have two mobiles on the $19 plan

hohum

10 pages

Post by hohum » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:28 pm

Hello,

Could somebody at Exetel take some time to write up an FAQ so we can evaluate the OCV200[/x] plans without having to read through 10 pages of stuff (nice word) please?

Here is what I understand of OCV200:

1) nothing changes about the internet plan. This means the static ip address is kept, it is fine to run a server (no ip protocols blocked), only downloads are counted - not uploads
2) you'll get a new number for your PSTN service. Your VoIP service will stay exactly the same so all the people you've given out your VoIP number too can still call you.
3) in addition to getting a real PSTN service back, your calls via it to landlines nationally will cost you nothing and are untimed (and calls to Optus mobiles are also free)

Is that correct? Are there any gotchas? I mean this seems like a no brainer!!??

I have a couple of what might be stupid questions, but here goes:

a) the optus cable runs right past my house - in fact when we first moved in we used it for our telephone service. All this is strictly ADSL2+ right? There are no extra options or anything here?
b) Annex-M is still not offered - not even for an extra fee - is it? Gosh I wish Exetel would stop ignoring this!
c) can my VoIP number be ported to the PSTN service? Can it be forwarded - no extra charge? I want to get rid of my ATA.

Anyone - why would I kick myself about moving to OCV200? I pay $60 for naked now with 70/60GB downloads (or 60/70 - I don't use it anyway) - what will I lose? What is the downside? What is the gotcha? What am I missing? Contracts? Something like that?

plekme

Post by plekme » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:29 pm

really happy that this deal came out. have applied for it.

Just noticed that after you apply to upgrade to the bundled plan and submit the application, it says the monthly ADSL charge is $30 instead of $60. Theres no mention anywhere of where the other $30 is charged. I dont know if thats meant to be a typo, but I'd thought I'd let you know in case.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (51.75 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
Cheers

jenkos

Post by jenkos » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:31 pm

Hi,
a similar cost service to the one you currently have....

Happy New Year
$43 to $60 is hardly a "similar cost"! Having no use for a mobile cap, no need for an "uncrippled" PSTN line or 200GB, I think I'll pass 'til the next round of changes occur.

I was once with Swift, their plans kept changing (name too), quotas kept rising, prices kept going up. I changed plan once, from 256 to 512, so I could VOIP, no ADSL2 there though. I was happy with the service. I changed to Exetel, cheaper and ADSL2. Quotas started going up, prices going up. Changed to Naked, after couple of months, $3 rise (GFC 2?). Quotas going up. Still, I'm happy with the service.

I would rather a (large) drop in the off-peak quota and a (small) rise in peak.

Hopefully I won't be forced off my current plan. I guess prices will rise again and I'll have a re-think.
ForumAdmin wrote:
sujd wrote:Does the $3 admin/account fee apply to these new plans ?
No.
ATM!!!

jenkos.

truylac9

Post by truylac9 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:43 pm

.....3) Having 200 gb of monthly downloads usable at any time ..........

Just to clarify : does it mean NO Peak ,NO Offpeak ??

And other silly questions : I'm using 2 cable for my Naked ADSL2+ now (connect directly 1 RJ11 from wall phone port to ADSL2+ modem ) .Do I need any technician come here to activate/connect other cable ?? Do I need a splitter or anything else (1 connect to ADSL modem ,1 connect to phone handset PSTN ).
Could anyone please tell me ?? Thanks a lot for your help .

Cheers,
T.