Naked users forgotten?

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
kefa

Re: Naked users forgotten?

Post by kefa » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:16 pm

alternatively is it possible for exetel to still have a "naked asdl" offering? i haven't had a pstn line for the last 2 years and don't really need one again. i'm happy to pay the same amount as somebody on a pstn plan as long as i get at least the same download quota and maybe something extra like $5 worth of local calls, mobile calls, sms, etc.

Wartai

Post by Wartai » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:35 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
kefa wrote:
vbap wrote:This is the confusing bit for me. According to FA, the wireline plans are "profitable" due to people actually using the PSTN for phone calls. If you were to change to a wireline plan, but not use it, then I don't see how you are any more profitable to Exetel than when you were under a naked plan (unless the supplier provides wireline ports at a discount to naked ports - but I thought that it was previously said a naked port is about $2 less per month than a wireline port?)
I totally agree. If I move back to a PSTN plan, I'm not going to use the PSTN line at all and will continue to use VOIP only. In addition I will have a higher download quota. So I will be paying the same amount as I'm paying now but exetel will have an additional $3 cost for the PSTN line. Also my additional download quota will cost exetel more too. How does that work out better for exetel? I would also think there would be quite a few people on the OTxx plans who are only going to use VOIP. So I'm not convinced by this argument that PSTN voice calls are going to subsidise these plans.
If you used Exetel VoIP then it would be of benefit to Exetel.
But we are using the Voip now and not getting better quota...
If we take the plan OTL-D which is less than what I'm paying now and dont use the PSTN line at all and only use Voip, no-one benefits except the users, unlimited quota at $15 cheaper (from the Naked OND plan).
Exetel and Optus lose out on the plan differences cost ($15 per user)

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:51 pm

kefa wrote:alternatively is it possible for exetel to still have a "naked asdl" offering? i haven't had a pstn line for the last 2 years and don't really need one again. i'm happy to pay the same amount as somebody on a pstn plan as long as i get at least the same download quota and maybe something extra like $5 worth of local calls, mobile calls, sms, etc.
Why would you want to do that?

There is zero upside and a fair bit of downside.

Col

Post by Col » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:24 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:4) $60.00 for unlimited/200 gb/something that no reasonable user would exceed.
Hows about 200GB or 250GB 'anytime' quota with 512kbps shaping?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:00 am

Col wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:4) $60.00 for unlimited/200 gb/something that no reasonable user would exceed.
if the quota was going to be that large than it would be better to charged after that, not shaped, if you had it shaped you'd still get people that want to download the entire internet each month for a flat rate, it would just encourage the wrong type of customer

Col

Post by Col » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:41 pm

jokiin wrote:
Col wrote:
if the quota was going to be that large than it would be better to charged after that, not shaped, if you had it shaped you'd still get people that want to download the entire internet each month for a flat rate, it would just encourage the wrong type of customer
I thought it would be better than doing an unlimited quota plan, where you would get people signing up wanting to do 400GB or higher at full speed. All I was thinking is that all local, STD and calls to Optus mobiles are already at a flat rate (free) so making the internet component flat rate too might be nice. Also, most of the large quota plans on the market are shaped if you want to jump into the same boat.

kefa

Post by kefa » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:09 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
kefa wrote:alternatively is it possible for exetel to still have a "naked asdl" offering? i haven't had a pstn line for the last 2 years and don't really need one again. i'm happy to pay the same amount as somebody on a pstn plan as long as i get at least the same download quota and maybe something extra like $5 worth of local calls, mobile calls, sms, etc.
Why would you want to do that?

There is zero upside and a fair bit of downside.
well i actually use some of exetels other services like voip and sms. so if i got some additional bundled value like free calls or sms that would be of value to me!

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:59 am

We are getting closer to a 'final' plan for current Exetel 'Naked' plan users.

1) No charge to reactivate a PSTN line on the naked service.

2) Unlimited national, local and Optus mobile calls (subject to fair usage policy).

3) Other call types at published rates

4) Minimal interruption when PSTN line is connected.

5) 100 gb peak/180 gb off peak

6) $60.00 per month

7) New 12 month contract

....or something along those lines.

With the ability to add a $19.00 per month capped mobile plan for a further $10.00 discount per month or a $35.00 capped mobile plan for a $15.00 discount per month.

autron

Post by autron » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:28 am

ForumAdmin wrote:We are getting closer to a 'final' plan for current Exetel 'Naked' plan users.
6) $60.00 per month
If there is only that one plan then it would be disappointing and unattractive because the peak data on such a plan would be more than I would use for both peak and off-peak combined. I'd want a lower and cheaper plan.

vbap

Post by vbap » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:59 am

ForumAdmin wrote:3) Other call types at published rates
Would this be the rates as per the OTL plans?

Overall looks a very good offer to me.

Maybe you need to clarify for everyone (eg autron) that this offer is for naked users who want to switch to a Wireline service without any activation/connection charges. (I'm not sure whether this plan will be offered standalone - although it was mentioned there are 2 new bundle plans for Members who have access to them...)

I assume that at least for now, existing Naked plans will remain for those that want to stay on those plans?
And as a reminder, any naked user can currently switch to any currently offered wireline plan for $98.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:01 am

autron wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:We are getting closer to a 'final' plan for current Exetel 'Naked' plan users.
6) $60.00 per month
If there is only that one plan then it would be disappointing and unattractive because the peak data on such a plan would be more than I would use for both peak and off-peak combined. I'd want a lower and cheaper plan.
We could have made it 20 gb/20gb but the price would remain the same.

If $60.00 a month for an ADSL service, PSTN line and free calls to a large percentage of most customer's destinations is too much then we probably can't help you and you will be better off staying on your current plan.

The reality is that Optus pay the same price to Telstra (whatever that may be) for a ULL service irrespective of whether they leave the PSTN part active or spend some money to 'cripple' the PSTN service.

If you ever want to leave Exetel and move to another provider you will find it a lot easier to do that with an active PSTN line than with a 'crippled' line.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:02 am

vbap wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:3) Other call types at published rates
Would this be the rates as per the OTL plans?
Yes.

roby

Post by roby » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:54 pm

unlimited national calls and local calls is that on the voip number or on the pstn line?

vbap

Post by vbap » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:10 pm

roby wrote:unlimited national calls and local calls is that on the voip number or on the pstn line?
PSTN line

autron

Post by autron » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:13 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:If you ever want to leave Exetel and move to another provider you will find it a lot easier to do that with an active PSTN line than with a 'crippled' line.
I can't imagine why I would want to do a silly thing like that :shock:

My current plan is still pretty good value. Nobody else offers good naked plan value in the sub-$59 price ranges. It's just hard to swallow after years of thinking that naked plans are cheaper than bundled plans that the OTL-A plan includes a phone line, has more peak quota and yet is cheaper than my naked plan.