Naked users forgotten?

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Re: Naked users forgotten?

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:04 pm

The no charge for re-connecting the PSTN line will only apply to specific promotional plans.

In terms of doing comparisons with other provider's plans (including Optus) - there is no point - Exetel's plans can only be based on Exetel's costs and any promotions that Exetel is offered by it's carrier suppliers - in the case of 'naked' plans this is Optus.

We are coming to the 'end of an era' in terms of how Exetel approaches the residential ADSL markets as we are about to complete the seventh year we have been in business. The ambitions and objectives we had in January 2004, and have published and tried to live up to over the past 7 years, now have to be re-assessed in the cold hard light of current situations - particularly the fact that Telstra Retail now offers ADSL and associated services to end users below the costs that Telstra Wholesale is prepared to offer them to us. If that situation had existed in November 2003 Exetel would never have been brought in to existence.

As we complete the planning for the coming six months we have to accept that the aspirations we have always operated Exetel by - no longer exist in any realistic form today and therefore we cannot provide services based on the premises we have adhered to unwaveringly for the past seven years. What we will do in the coming year is far from decided but what we cannot do is to provide services at below our costs to residential users as we have done for a very long time now.

So......a lot of thinking and analysis and research to be done in a short time frame.

Wartai

Post by Wartai » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:37 am

And what would the plan change fee be ? $40 ?

matt90

Post by matt90 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:52 am

Wartai wrote:And what would the plan change fee be ? $40 ?
A full installation fee $60 + a new 12 month contract.
Not entirely sure, would need someone to confirm.
But from what I can see it will be an entire new plan separate from other Naked DSL plans.

vbap

Post by vbap » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:27 am

Wartai wrote:And what would the plan change fee be ? $40 ?
The plan change fee for what?
The offer being discussed by FA is for users on a Naked plan to go back to a PSTN plan "fee free". The proposal is that a fee free switch can only be done for this $60 bundled plan as outlined above.

xsilver

Post by xsilver » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:16 pm

I too think it would be great if more than the 1 $60 option could be offered.
Even sans the unlimited free calls for $53 just like the OTL plan would be good.

Also I would assume you could change to the "regular" OTL plans after the initial 12 month contract again?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:21 pm

xsilver wrote:I too think it would be great if more than the 1 $60 option could be offered.
Even sans the unlimited free calls for $53 just like the OTL plan would be good.

Also I would assume you could change to the "regular" OTL plans after the initial 12 month contract again?
The barrier is that nothing is free to Exetel.

We offer a free restoration of the PSTN line but it is a cost to Exetel.....and Optus

We offer free local, national and Optus CTM but it is a cost to Exetel....and Optus

Even the cost of providing the amount of downloads, even at the average of all users, barely breaks even which means that 50% of users of this plan will lose Exetel a great deal of money - partly subsidised by the users who use less than the average.

The reality is that the constant downward spiral in residential ADSL plan prices, driven largely by Telstra Retails 'mandate' to "win back" as much market share as possible with a gigantic give away budget is beginning to achieve what used to exist ten years ago - a market place in which a monopolist existed and no other company could compete with it. In fact the current government's intention via the 'NBN2' is to ensure this happens in the future.

This is the reality in terms of costs:

Naked Line cost to Exetel = $36.70 (inc gst)

Back haul per gb = $0.50 plus IP per gb = $0.30 = $0.88 (inc gst) - this would be reduced by the peering (Akamai/Pipe) content by some 30%.

Support etc overheads allocated to ADSL = $2.00 per month

So, assuming you downloaded 20 gb per month the COST to Exetel of your personal service is $56.30 per month.

You might see that charging you $60.00 for that service allows Exetel to make $3.70 "profit' per month or something less than 5% of which 1.5% goes in taxes.

You can see that there is no ongoing point in Exetel offering ADSL residential services at the prices that we have done in the past.

If there was any possible way of lowering our prices we would do that.

Currently, we cant find any way of doing that and the only real solution is to increase current prices by around 15%.

Other providers may be able to offer lower prices for whatever reasons they choose/are able to do that. Exetel, at this time, cannot do that.

The really sad aspect of this situation is that, right now, if we lose a customer at the current prices we are charging it is of a net financial benefit to Exetel. This applies to all residential ADSL plans we currently offer.

vbap

Post by vbap » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:13 pm

FA,

I really hope this $60 bundle plan you have negotiated with Optus does not cost Exetel the figures you have quoted, and it is OPtus that is largely "picking up the tab".

I think this $60 plan is very reasonable, even though it would mean we pay about $5 - $10 more per month, to have the PSTN and the extra "headroom" (data & calls) is well worth it.

I just don't want to be switching from one loss-making plan to another...

oldman

Post by oldman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:30 pm

I believe the value offered as alluded to by FA at viewtopic.php?p=284827#p284827 represents excellent value and I truly hope it can be achieved.

Hopefully we naked users can soon be brought in out of the cold.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:53 pm

oldman wrote:I believe the value offered as alluded to by FA at viewtopic.php?p=284827#p284827 represents excellent value and I truly hope it can be achieved.

Hopefully, that plan offer will be sent to 'naked' ADSL2 users early next week:

$60.00/100gb/180gb/unlimited national;local;Optus CTM;no plan change charge/reactivation of PSTN line at no charge/new 12 month contract.

It will only be possible because Optus is subsidising it - we couldn't afford to make the offer.

Signing up for a mobile capped plan at either $19.00 or $35.00 per month will give discounts of $10.00 and $15.00 a month respectively so it's a very, very good deal.

If anyone wants to point out that it's too expensive then I've shown you the maths. If it's too expensive for you then why would you expect Exetel to sell you a service at a loss? Once again I'm not complaining - I'm merely pointing out to you where providing ADSL services to residential services has reached. Regretfully if it's too expensive then you will have to find another provider who runs a more efficient business than Exetel does. Again, the truly sad thing about you dong that is that Exetel becomes financially better off.

dragon

Post by dragon » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:39 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
oldman wrote:I believe the value offered as alluded to by FA at viewtopic.php?p=284827#p284827 represents excellent value and I truly hope it can be achieved.

Hopefully, that plan offer will be sent to 'naked' ADSL2 users early next week:

$60.00/100gb/180gb/unlimited national;local;Optus CTM;no plan change charge/reactivation of PSTN line at no charge/new 12 month contract.

It will only be possible because Optus is subsidising it - we couldn't afford to make the offer.

Signing up for a mobile capped plan at either $19.00 or $35.00 per month will give discounts of $10.00 and $15.00 a month respectively so it's a very, very good deal.

If anyone wants to point out that it's too expensive then I've shown you the maths. If it's too expensive for you then why would you expect Exetel to sell you a service at a loss? Once again I'm not complaining - I'm merely pointing out to you where providing ADSL services to residential services has reached. Regretfully if it's too expensive then you will have to find another provider who runs a more efficient business than Exetel does. Again, the truly sad thing about you dong that is that Exetel becomes financially better off.
if this plan is introduced i ill almost definately change to it with as i already have a cap19 as well.
what will the downtime be for the pstn line to be reactivated and is it possible to maintain our voip line as my relatives are using exetel voip as well so they can get free local calls to us and cheap international calls?
i hope it'll be an easy transfer to sign up this new plan and keep my current cap19 and voip. =)

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:53 pm

The actual time will be spelled out in the advice email.

I am currently told it will be close to zero.

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:12 am

Patiently waiting for the email :)

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:37 am

rseydler wrote:Patiently waiting for the email :)
Patience is a virtue.

It won't be this week.

John

roby

Post by roby » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:44 pm

I have noticed under member facilities under change service adsl there are no plans listed any more.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:30 am

roby wrote:I have noticed under member facilities under change service adsl there are no plans listed any more.
We are in the process of revising all plans at the moment.

The no charge to re-connect naked services to a PSTN line will be put in place in the not too distant future.

The issue is that Optus internal systems are not yet ready to do that.