HSPA download limits / cost

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
DJG

HSPA download limits / cost

Post by DJG » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:10 pm

While its great to hear Exetel is increasing download limits and reducing costs for ADSL users, some of us can't access ADSL (apparently 2km is too far from the exchange) and are stuck with HSPA as our only internet access. I was interested to here the recent announcement that HSPA costs would be reduced only to find that the 5GB plan is now $45. Isn't that an increase from the previous $37.50 for 5GB?

I notice that some other providers have 7GB or even 10GB download plans, some for not much more cost. Even once super expensive Telstra is offering 7GB for $69 or $49 or even $39 depending on what other services you have with them.

My point is Exetel's HSPA plans are starting to look expensive for those wanting higher download limits. Is there any relief in sight?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Re: HSPA download limits / cost

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:52 am

Exetel looked at offering more downloads for less money by cheating customers....this was something we would never have considered but it was an explanation given to us in answer to our question:

"How is it possible for two resellers of the same wireless broadband service we buy from Optus to offer so much more download than we could do?"

The answer was:

"Stop provisioning your interconnect bandwidth so there is no contention. If you provision your bandwidth at 60% of peak requirement you will be able to offer much greater download inclusions. Your customers won't notice because 'everyone' does it which is why so many people think wireless broadband is unreliable and slow - they believe its tower contention rather than their provider deliberately under provisioning the links".

We thought, not for very long, about doing this on a "Standard Wireless Broadband" offering but the dishonesty of this approach stuck in our throats.

It probably makes us stupid but then we'd prefer to be stupid than dishonest.

If you put a Virgin or Dodo or Optus Retail HSPA service side by side with an Exetel/Optus HSPA service you can see for yourself - I have personally done that over a dozen times and the Exetel service is always faster.

DJG

Re: HSPA download limits / cost

Post by DJG » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:10 pm

I'm glad Exetel has chosen the approach it has. This was something I had not understood before. Thanks for the expanation.