Latest ADSL2 Change

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
musicman2

Latest ADSL2 Change

Post by musicman2 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:37 pm

Last week I was very pleased to get the auto upgrade to 150g peak
Just seen now unlimited 24/7

Am concerned
a) Would have been nice to send customers an email informing of these changes
b) Going on previous unlimted (which I did have on offpeak) to give some guidlines for those users whoare perhaps a little to heavy on the download button!!

I am not sayings its a bad thing, myself I prefer to know what the limit is, even if it's way beond what I would use.

The reason I am posting this is in response to the email last week saying finally out of hours is at a managable level. Is this going to blow that completely out of the water.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Re: Latest ADSL2 Change

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:34 pm

I may be stupid - but, I'm not sure what you are asking.

musicman2

Post by musicman2 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:04 pm

Would be good PR to let customers know about change especially as it's a good change.

I know because I have got in the past a lot of people to join exetel, they don't go to user facilities.
Would also suggest most people on these new plans are new customers.

Previosly unlimited was not, was I think based on 3 time the average of all users. Seem to remember that was about 120g, which is less than these new plans were when fixed at 150/180g.

Would not want myself or others to get onto 'bad boys ' list for downloading too much.

At some points of the day exetel is getting close to max 8gbs sec, would this opening the door wide open possibly lead to having to clamp down again in the very near future

sujd

Post by sujd » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:53 pm

Will Naked users be able to change to the new ADSL2 OTL plans ?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:05 pm

"No Charge" was the term used for plans with 3 times the average as the limit (was about 89GB when I remember it). Exetel briefly ventured into "unlimited" ADSL2+ but both the "No Charge" and "unlimited" plans were quickly replaced with plans similar to what you see now, with shorter off-peak periods but 120GB, 150GB, even up to 180GB off-peak. It was commented before that Exetel's network could support such levels of downloads because of the timing: off-peak periods now straddle the 4am-8am which is underutilised and can accommodate these high quotas, so there should be no "bad boys' list" if you schedule downloads for such early am hours.

Looking now, there is a new unlimited ADSL2+ variant when bundled with phone, so it will indeed be interesting to see how bandwidth is affected and managed. I suspect that once a company is offering such high quotas (like 100GB + 180GB), and because other unlimited ADSL2+ providers have souped up the bulk of the heavy downloaders, the impact of going to "unlimited" is much more marginal that it used to be.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:07 pm

sujd wrote:Will Naked users be able to change to the new ADSL2 OTL plans ?
Yes. See http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... Downgrades and they should also be an option in your member facilities (before long at least. Based on other forum threads I'm not sure they are there just yet)
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

sujd

Post by sujd » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:50 am

Thanks Corey, only new naked plans available in members area at this stage.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:53 am

musicman2 wrote:
1) Would be good PR to let customers know about change especially as it's a good change.

I know because I have got in the past a lot of people to join exetel, they don't go to user facilities.
Would also suggest most people on these new plans are new customers.

2) Previosly unlimited was not, was I think based on 3 time the average of all users. Seem to remember that was about 120g, which is less than these new plans were when fixed at 150/180g.

Would not want myself or others to get onto 'bad boys ' list for downloading too much.

3)At some points of the day exetel is getting close to max 8gbs sec, would this opening the door wide open possibly lead to having to clamp down again in the very near future
1) Exetel used to be accused of 'spamming' when it sent out such emails. We therefore created an opt in system in the user facilities for plan changes. I suggest you advise your friends to visit that opt in list and select the advices they wish to receive.

2) Unlimited was never constrained in that way.

3) The maximum reached to date is a little under 7.2 gbps and then only for a few minutes. Exetel has constantly upgraded its network over the past almost 7 years on a month by month basis.

Tiko

Post by Tiko » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:18 pm

I am "opted in" to receive such notifications via email (New plans or changes to plans) but I never received any notification that my plan would be changed (Notifications for some things do work as I receive the monthly newsletter and information on maintenance). As an aside, I reset my notifications. To do this I though I would just be able to reset the notification about plan changes. When I did this I found I lost all other notifications. I had to re-enter everything. It might be easier if changes could be made to individual notifications.