Fritz box?? huge opportunity here..

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
CorporateVoIP

Re: Fritz box?? huge opportunity here..

Post by CorporateVoIP » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:25 pm

Dazzled wrote:Why not do this http://www.toao.net/425-asterisk-on-a-router to a $60-$160 Asus router, and add a phone? Has Exetel ever experimented with such a setup for a small business phone service?
We have 2x asterisk products - VirtualPABX and exePBX. We have the provisioning of these streamlined with standard configurations that don't require large amounts of configuration of the core system, meaning only call handling takes the time.

VirtualPABX is targeted at anybody who wants it and exePBX is for people who have Asterisk knowledge and want their own hardware.

Whilst a solution like is this would be of interest to most of the engineering staff for personal use, it's not something we would pursue on a commercial level.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:39 pm

CorporateVoIP wrote:
Dazzled wrote:Why not do this http://www.toao.net/425-asterisk-on-a-router to a $60-$160 Asus router, and add a phone? Has Exetel ever experimented with such a setup for a small business phone service?
We have 2x asterisk products - VirtualPABX and exePBX. We have the provisioning of these streamlined with standard configurations that don't require large amounts of configuration of the core system, meaning only call handling takes the time.

VirtualPABX is targeted at anybody who wants it and exePBX is for people who have Asterisk knowledge and want their own hardware.

Whilst a solution like is this would be of interest to most of the engineering staff for personal use, it's not something we would pursue on a commercial level.
for commercial use you'd want something more like this I think http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?page_id=440 where the hardware is designed specifically for the job at hand and is not really for the tinkerer

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Jokiin, that is both impressive and not so far from home (and I'd love to tinker with one of those too). Pity the cheaper models don't have the A Tick.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:26 pm

Dazzled wrote:Jokiin, that is both impressive and not so far from home (and I'd love to tinker with one of those too). Pity the cheaper models don't have the A Tick.
I know another provider is looking at bringing the cheaper model in and going through the A-Tick process at the moment, there is actually a fair bit of mark up in these, obviously to cover his development costs etc, the factory cost is quite reasonable from memory so anyone that wanted to bring this type of product to market the base cost to work from is not too bad

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:33 pm

jokiin wrote: for commercial use you'd want something more like this I think http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?page_id=440 where the hardware is designed specifically for the job at hand and is not really for the tinkerer
Just wondering Jokkin if you have contacted this guy at all?
I tried to contact him around April / may this year via email but unfortunately gave up as he never replied.
I am atm busy developing a small building automation interface which is looking really good now & has a bit of interest from a couple of the big fish automatics companies & I was looking at something like this to sell to help supplement my income as I build up my little product.
( Funny thing also, today I actually spoke with the local exetel agent up here in Tamworth to see if he would get upset if I approach exetel to start selling a bit of their stuff when I kick off next year which turns out he would be happy for me to do some of this.) :)

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:11 pm

Baldrick wrote:
jokiin wrote: for commercial use you'd want something more like this I think http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?page_id=440 where the hardware is designed specifically for the job at hand and is not really for the tinkerer
Just wondering Jokkin if you have contacted this guy at all?
Never, I had spoken to the people that make this box but that was before I found out about this guy that was doing the software locally

kelw

Post by kelw » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi, I haven't read all the pages of response, but for home use the Fritz.Box 7270 seems to have all the VoIP features, DECT etc available for $199 at Cableguy. I have just fired mine up and it works really well. According to other reports to is good for up to 50Mbps compared to the 7370 at $299 which is good for up to 100Mbps. It was a doddle to set up but you do need to update the firmware to 74.05.07 first!
Good Luck to all who try it. Kel White
Kel White
Exetel user since 2004

MikeTurner

Post by MikeTurner » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Does this do NBN?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:20 pm

MikeTurner wrote:Does this do NBN?