New ADSL1 plans vs existing plans

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
snibs

Re: New ADSL1 plans vs existing plans

Post by snibs » Sat May 28, 2011 4:33 pm

N30N_F15H wrote:
snibs wrote:I bit the bullet and signed up for 8 meg (best we can get at our exchange) for the last 2 months of my contract, $40 to not sign up for another contract but hopefully will solve the problem, as for congestion, my problem started the same time I churned from TPG..... coincidence?....anyway I "MUCH" prefer exetels way of doing business and I really hope the speed increase will bridge my problem as I don't want to leave but I regret if 8 meg wont allow me to play games without problem then I will have to try tpg again. Ill also add that if I have to go to tpg and have the same problem Ill be back to exetel (asap) with tail between legs and give my apologies right here.... hey at least ill get cheaper deal.....just kidding.....sorry.
Thanks from Mick
It wasn't so long ago that I was in the same position as you in regards to speed issues, with a very congested exchange making internet browsing unbearable and gaming impossible. I contemplated changing provider to Telstra but soon realised that the issue wouldn't be fixed, and I wouldn't be getting good value.

Although I did have to wait it out, eventually the exchange was upgraded, and when the speeds were good again I changed over to the 8mbps plan. I now get 7mbps+ on a speedtest which I'm very happy with!

Just thought I'd share my experience with you, as it's probably best to look into it before changing away from a great provider.
I switched to 8 meg and it made no difference with latency, your doing well with your speed, I'm 300 metres from our exchange and at its best I have had 4 meg but it go's up and down from 4 meg down to 1.2 then back to 3 or 4. Anyway I sent the tickets to the address above and will see what happens.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun May 29, 2011 8:44 am

You might notice that the new plans are very low cost and have very large allowances.

These are made possible by our carriers giving Exetel large 'cash' bonuses for NEW users but giving us nothing for customers we already have.

If we offered the new plans to NEW users but did not offer them to 'old' users then you, and many other customers, would almost see that as being "unfair".

By offering them to you with a $40.00 activation fee (compared to a $60.00 activation fee for new users) we are subsidizing your plan using part of the bonuses provided by the carriers when we sign up new users.

snibs

Post by snibs » Sun May 29, 2011 9:06 am

I wish I knew the plans would be "revised" I'm paying $65 because I jumped in the day before they changed. As I said earlier, it didn't fix my issue anyway, in fact pings to game servers are a tad worse. Oh well.
Update: weekly Sunday games were worst ever.

N30N_F15H

Post by N30N_F15H » Sun May 29, 2011 11:37 pm

snibs wrote:
N30N_F15H wrote:
snibs wrote:I bit the bullet and signed up for 8 meg (best we can get at our exchange) for the last 2 months of my contract, $40 to not sign up for another contract but hopefully will solve the problem, as for congestion, my problem started the same time I churned from TPG..... coincidence?....anyway I "MUCH" prefer exetels way of doing business and I really hope the speed increase will bridge my problem as I don't want to leave but I regret if 8 meg wont allow me to play games without problem then I will have to try tpg again. Ill also add that if I have to go to tpg and have the same problem Ill be back to exetel (asap) with tail between legs and give my apologies right here.... hey at least ill get cheaper deal.....just kidding.....sorry.
Thanks from Mick
It wasn't so long ago that I was in the same position as you in regards to speed issues, with a very congested exchange making internet browsing unbearable and gaming impossible. I contemplated changing provider to Telstra but soon realised that the issue wouldn't be fixed, and I wouldn't be getting good value.

Although I did have to wait it out, eventually the exchange was upgraded, and when the speeds were good again I changed over to the 8mbps plan. I now get 7mbps+ on a speedtest which I'm very happy with!

Just thought I'd share my experience with you, as it's probably best to look into it before changing away from a great provider.
I switched to 8 meg and it made no difference with latency, your doing well with your speed, I'm 300 metres from our exchange and at its best I have had 4 meg but it go's up and down from 4 meg down to 1.2 then back to 3 or 4. Anyway I sent the tickets to the address above and will see what happens.
That's unfortunate really, and you may just have to play the waiting game with an exchange upgrade in the event that there isn't an issue found - but here's hoping! I'm unsure as to why I get such good speeds as I'm about 9km away from the exchange...

CorporateVoIP

Post by CorporateVoIP » Mon May 30, 2011 11:15 am

@N30N_F15H

Given your location and the presence of retail/commercial in close proximity, it is fair to assume there is a sub-exchange close by, with a decent link back to the main exchange.

If you google your suburb and "sub-exchange", there's a post on whirlpool outlining such.

gong_guy

Post by gong_guy » Mon May 30, 2011 1:34 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: By offering them to you with a $40.00 activation fee (compared to a $60.00 activation fee for new users) we are subsidizing your plan using part of the bonuses provided by the carriers when we sign up new users.
I just changed over my Mother from ADSL1 to ADSL2 and paid a $40 fee and elected to NOT transfer her phone line.

The last screen which confirmed the plan change included a listing of call charges including rental.

You might want to have a look at this, it is sort of confusing, I did not make a mistake :) hopefully neither have you :oops:

barnymike

Post by barnymike » Mon May 30, 2011 2:47 pm

I have just signed on for the T1.5-100 plan but was a bit surprised at the $40 plan change charge as Exetel has very little work to do as I was on the same speed previously. However accept Exetel's explanation re the telco cash discounts etc discussed earlier. I would have been happy to sign on for 12 months but that option didnt show up. My questions is assuming the plan is available in 6 months time, would there be another $40 charge to stay on the same plan as the contract has run out. The column shows there is a cost for "Cost Of Plan Change or New Contract"

Thanks

N30N_F15H

Post by N30N_F15H » Mon May 30, 2011 5:31 pm

CorporateVoIP wrote:@N30N_F15H

Given your location and the presence of retail/commercial in close proximity, it is fair to assume there is a sub-exchange close by, with a decent link back to the main exchange.

If you google your suburb and "sub-exchange", there's a post on whirlpool outlining such.
I wondered how it was possible...
Hopefully the NBN will begin construction shortly so I can get even better speeds, as adsl 2 and cable aren't available.
barnymike wrote:I have just signed on for the T1.5-100 plan but was a bit surprised at the $40 plan change charge as Exetel has very little work to do as I was on the same speed previously. However accept Exetel's explanation re the telco cash discounts etc discussed earlier. I would have been happy to sign on for 12 months but that option didnt show up. My questions is assuming the plan is available in 6 months time, would there be another $40 charge to stay on the same plan as the contract has run out. The column shows there is a cost for "Cost Of Plan Change or New Contract"

Thanks
I believe that you will continue on with your plan as usual, unless you choose to change to something else, in which case you would have to pay whatever the fee is at the time.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:08 pm

N30N_F15H wrote:I wondered how it was possible...
Hopefully the NBN will begin construction shortly so I can get even better speeds, as adsl 2 and cable aren't available.
If I'm not mistaken, following areas are currently being severed and planned to be served in the near future.

Point Cook - through Telstra

Middleton Grange, Oran Park, Point Cook, Bundoora - through opticomm

Midway Point, Smithton, Stottsdale - through NBN Tasmania

Armadale - through NBN Co

There will be more areas selected in the near future

N30N_F15H

Post by N30N_F15H » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:44 pm

thejeg wrote:
N30N_F15H wrote:I wondered how it was possible...
If I'm not mistaken, following areas are currently being severed and planned to be served in the near future.

Point Cook - through Telstra

Middleton Grange, Oran Park, Point Cook, Bundoora - through opticomm

Midway Point, Smithton, Stottsdale - through NBN Tasmania

Armadale - through NBN Co

There will be more areas selected in the near future
I'll be in the second release site of Springfield Lakes. You should definitely look into providing here if/when it's possible, as so many people and businesses are stuck without any internet due to lack of ports.