Usage meter up the spout for new billing cycle.

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
Better Gary

Usage meter up the spout for new billing cycle.

Post by Better Gary » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:28 am

Not sure if its just overlooked or another reason, but has anyone noticed the usage meter in the members section is up the spout for those on the new billing cycle? I mean it works but isnt accurate due to the configuration.

I can change the start and end dates (day), but only within the same month, but the cycle goes from 28th of one month, to the 27th of the next month. There are two user selectable day date fields but only one month field. When I try and set the dates to coincide with my cycle, it says theres no data to display. I have to leave it set from the 1st of the month to the current date in the same month so its always those first few days of quota out.

Hope that makes sense.

shoner

Re: Usage meter up the spout for new billing cycle.

Post by shoner » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:45 pm

Better Gary wrote:Not sure if its just overlooked or another reason, but has anyone noticed the usage meter in the members section is up the spout for those on the new billing cycle? I mean it works but isnt accurate due to the configuration.

I can change the start and end dates (day), but only within the same month, but the cycle goes from 28th of one month, to the 27th of the next month. There are two user selectable day date fields but only one month field. When I try and set the dates to coincide with my cycle, it says theres no data to display. I have to leave it set from the 1st of the month to the current date in the same month so its always those first few days of quota out.

Hope that makes sense.
Yea, this needs to be fixed to facilitate new billing cycles. We have asked our dev's to worked on this, most likely this should be fixed by Close of business today or by mid next week.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Better Gary

Post by Better Gary » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:02 pm

Thankyou, appreciated. Glad it wasnt just me.

shoner

Post by shoner » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:14 pm

Better Gary wrote:Thankyou, appreciated. Glad it wasnt just me.
This is still in progress, Dev's have advised me that it would take longer than expected. Most likely to be completed by the end of this week.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Better Gary

Post by Better Gary » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:46 am

How long is a week in Developer speak?

nuranj
Exetel Staff

Post by nuranj » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:25 pm

Better Gary wrote:How long is a week in Developer speak?
Could you please check the usage as it should be fine now.

Better Gary

Post by Better Gary » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:31 pm

No, its still the same. I tried both Opera and FF. Still tells me there is no data to display using the main page, or in the detailed page it says the start date is later than the end date (28th of month 1, to 27th of month 2). I cleared my cache in Opera and no change. Ive never used FF for the site before so it should have been fine anyway.

Im guessing there needs to be two month fields, one field for start date and another month field for the end date. I still only see one month field.

prasannap
Exetel Staff

Post by prasannap » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:55 pm

Better Gary wrote:No, its still the same. I tried both Opera and FF. Still tells me there is no data to display using the main page, or in the detailed page it says the start date is later than the end date (28th of month 1, to 27th of month 2). I cleared my cache in Opera and no change. Ive never used FF for the site before so it should have been fine anyway.

Im guessing there needs to be two month fields, one field for start date and another month field for the end date. I still only see one month field.
I will pass this massage to nuran to follow this up with the dev's on Monday and provide you an update.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:48 pm

Customized usage search function has been re-developed with flexible date search.

You may check this through the member's facilities.

Better Gary

Post by Better Gary » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:45 am

Maybe its me, but I still see no change in either FF or Opera. I have attached 2 screencaps to show what Im asking for, and the message I get using what is available now.

Missing date field. As you can see, while there are 2 date fields for the day, there is only one selectable field for the month. There now needs to be a start month, and a separate end month. This is because due to the new billing cycle the start month and end month are now different, and the system wont search the new arrangement.

And here is the message saying that the dates required are not searchable.

This is what I think it should look like (although you might want to align them better :lol: )

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:09 am

We cannot duplicate the error you found. When you click the search button, it willl lead you to the full date of usage search.

Which date did you take the screenshot?

You can email your service number to raymondl @ exetel.com.au. We will check for you.

Chris T

Post by Chris T » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:41 pm

Except that the totals for Offpeak Upload and Download are zeroes in the searches that I did.

Chris.

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:42 pm

They are displaying now.

Better Gary

Post by Better Gary » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:41 am

raymond wrote:We cannot duplicate the error you found. When you click the search button, it willl lead you to the full date of usage search.

Which date did you take the screenshot?

You can email your service number to raymondl @ exetel.com.au. We will check for you.
All screencaps were made at the time of the post, or within 15 minutes allowing for time to make the screencaps, edit them and upload to a host, and write the post itself. At that time when I checked, the corrections were not working for me as the screencaps demonstrate.

I will preface this post with an acknowledgement that the functions requested in the original post are now working, and I thank you for that. But I need to say that it is still confusing to some degree due to some website design flaws which exist and probably should be corrected or eliminated for ease of use and professionalism. Thats my opinion, and well you can obviously ignore it if you like. Sorry if there seems to be a tone to my post, theres not meant to be, but its frustrating trying to word it so it may be interpreted badly.

So here goes, basically, there are not only two distinct methods of querying usage, which is great, but they are completely separate in the home page which is confusing. Additionally, one of the methods requires the user to enter the same data twice, or at least it implies that is necessary and to me that signals amateur design. So I have detailed my explanation below.

Members section >Home
Firstly, there are two methods to get to the data requested in the original post from the home page in the members section;

Method 1 - This is at the bottom of the home page and only has one month field, Image ,

In the above screencap, Im invited to enter the start date and the end date to be searched and then click search. When 'search' is clicked it brings me to a page which has options for the two different months (screencap below), and I note that the drop down calendar is great and a nice design feature, I like it.

The problem there is I have already entered date data in the home page for no productive purpose as it turns out, only to find I now have to re-enter those dates again, which is annoying. But once I do re-enter the dates, the data displayed is what i asked for so it does work fine.

-------

Method 2 - is the 'view detailed' link in the top right corner of the home page,

This 'view detailed' link brings me to a similar page to method 1, but this one automatically selects the start date of the billing cycle (28th May) and the current date (22nd June) and displays that data. Again, very nice. But this one is not user selectable.

---------
Why two separate methods at opposite ends of the same page? It would be better to remove the first screencapped method (method 1) completely from the home page and only leave the 'view detailed' (method 2) link to get to both methods. And I think this is important, keep the function of method 1 and incorporate it into method 2 as method 1 corrects the problem raised in the original post of the thread and it allows users to select the period of query, while method 2's ('view detailed') default display is quick and easy for the user. This way, the default data displayed is the billing cycle start date and the current date showing usage so far this month (method 2), and by merging the function of method 1, the user can define the dates for more specific periods. Im not sure where this would be of use, but Im sure some users may find both useful.

I also note, only the 'view detailed' method displays a graph for the last 12 months, so that would also need to be included.

So in conclusion, to me it seems much more fluid to only have the 'view detailed' option on the home page and once clicked, the default data displayed is the billing cycle start date to the current date, with the option for the user to select the period for a more specific range of dates. This would be better than having to navigate opposite ends of the home page, for two versions of the same type of query, albeit of a slightly different nature.

Hope that is clear enough, and thanks for reading. I like the calendar for selecting dates and want to say thanks again, but I think the system still needs some polish.

Cheers, Gary.

nuranj
Exetel Staff

Post by nuranj » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:16 am

Please note that the usage issue is now being fixed. :)