Customer Referral Scheme

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
ChristopherB
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:09 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Customer Referral Scheme

Post by ChristopherB » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:58 pm

I think keeping it simple and low cost is important (in the great Exetel tradition). A simple $100 discount off the monthly ADSL/PSTN charges is the simplest solution. I also like the idea of sharing the discount with the new customer - then it is fair all round and both sides understand they are getting something extra for switching to Exetel.

I do not like the idea of store gift cards - I don't think anyone actually goes to Myer/DJs stores anymore anyway, at least that is what their sales numbers seem to be indicating! If we get store cards then Exetel needs to mail them to you, you need to find something you actually want to buy at that particular retailer, you lose the card while waiting for something you want to buy - actual value can end up being $0 - much better to get $100 off your next few Exetel bills (employer funded/tax deductability issues aside).

My only other comment on this is: "Long may Telstra discount prices and Optus quarterly customer acquisition numbers fall significantly behind Telstra (better not mention poor old VHA - I imagine the pressure is getting quite severe). Maybe Exetel should give VHA a few more quarters of negative customer acquisition numbers and then quietly start talking about some new pricing. You never know what may possible...the current Z mobile plans may look very expensive in comparison!
Last edited by ChristopherB on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Customer Referral Scheme

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:46 pm

Why not have a running balance of the "credits" that each user gets from referrals and provide the option for them to either a) apply them to their own account automatically until exhausted b) apply them to their own account manually or c) transfer any nominated amount to another Exetel service number of their choosing. This gives absolute flexibility for the individuals (the referer, the referee) to split or transfer the referral credits in any way they wish. It also enables someone to refer multiple new users and transfer the credits for the benefit of other family members, friends, etc. You can even extend the facility to allows this transfer of credits to Exetel's charitable projects.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Calculon
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:08 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Customer Referral Scheme

Post by Calculon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:01 pm

No extra suggestions, but I would like to say how much I appreciate the the use of language in Exetel emails. The tone is always engaging and descriptive, you say it how it is, and I don't find myself cringing due to butchered spelling and grammar. I was really just looking for a cheap internet service, but I get plenty of options and flexibility, and better writing than some reputable newspapers. Have a nice day! :D

Wil56k
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Customer Referral Scheme

Post by Wil56k » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:11 am

I think the $100 credit against the adsl account is the best option.
It's a shame that I can't recommend Optus in my area, poor reception here in the southern tablelands.
Good luck !

PiyumiK
Exetel Staff
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:44 pm
Location: North Sydney

Re: Customer Referral Scheme

Post by PiyumiK » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:06 am

-kevin wrote:It's only a very small thing but some people might have their boss paying their internet bill as part of a work agreement. (Or they can claim internet as a tax deduction)
Therefore something they get (rather than their boss or the ATO) like a gift card might be more of an incentive. But then exetel can't really automate sending gift cards as easy as an invoice credit.
Just a thought ...
Hi Kevin,

Gift cards are definitely a great incentive, however Exetel has a base of over 100,000 customers who will be offered this referral scheme program. The simplicity of crediting a customer’s account with the referral bonus outweighs the complexities involved in sending vouchers to whoever decides to take on this appealing referral scheme. On that note, Optus provides incentives to Exetel in the form of credits as well which eliminates cash incentives. All we are doing is passing it straight back on to the customers, which is hopefully an attractive enough incentive to existing and potential new customers.

PiyumiK
Exetel Staff
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:44 pm
Location: North Sydney

Re: Customer Referral Scheme

Post by PiyumiK » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:39 am

pinoyako07 wrote:Great idea, but what about the people that are on the telstra adsl2+ plan. Do we get rewards when we recommend and sign our friends up?
Hi,

The customer referral scheme will be available to all our customers – i.e. all residential ADSL customers, mobile customers, mobile broadband/HSPA customers etc. When you receive the referral email (which will be emitted before the 1st of August 2011), you just have to make sure your friend uses your service number in the appropriate section in their Optus ADSL order form to ensure you receive your referral bonus.

PiyumiK
Exetel Staff
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:44 pm
Location: North Sydney

Re: Customer Referral Scheme

Post by PiyumiK » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:48 am

Col wrote:Plus if you managed to buy gift cards in bulk you might be able to get a discount on them and therefore could offer $120 of gift cards for your $100. While I would be happier for the credit to come onto my account and then redirect my own money where ever I want, perhaps giving options on how you redeem the reward (like gift cards etc) might be an interesting take on things, especially if you refer a lot of people and the recommender credit takes months to be used up - some people might like the idea of getting something sooner.

But back to the main question... I think I would prefer something close to a 50/50 split.
Hi Col,

I have answered the gift card/voucher idea in a previous post to Kevin. I understand how gift cards will be more beneficial, but don't forget that the bonus money earned and saved through this referral program (albeit a credit) is now money that you can freely use elsewhere because you won't have to pay your Exetel service bill for the life of the referral credit. So the more people you refer to Exetel, the less you will have to pay on your Exetel bill as your referral credits will be taking care of that.
With regard to the 50/50 split - that is definitely an avenue we are venturing in to as there has to be some incentive for your friend to want to sign up to Exetel as well. Stay tuned, we shall be finalising the referral scheme sometime next week and you will be able to refer as many people as you like 1st of August 2011 onwards until the expiry of the referral scheme.

PiyumiK
Exetel Staff
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:44 pm
Location: North Sydney

Re: Customer Referral Scheme

Post by PiyumiK » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:56 am

aussierod wrote:I would have referred dozens by now from my websites, but I haven't simply because I don't want strangers knowing my home phone number.

Come up with a better private way to match me to those I refer and I'd be happy with the $30 a pop.
Hi Aussierod,

Thanks for your suggestion. This is something we have thought about in depth. The only solution we have at the moment is if you fill in the order form on behalf of your friend/acquaintance – however bank details become an issue there as I am not sure if your friend/acquaintance will be happy disclosing their bank details to you – the only way around that is for you to use your bank details in the order form until the service gets provisioned and then the new customer would have to swap the bank details around once the service is fully active.
For the time being, it will continue to be a service number/home phone number required in the “Exetel Recommender’s Service Number ” area in the Optus ADSL Order Form. However the $30 a pop will definitely be improved, so hopefully that is a good enough reason for you to disclose your phone number or to fill in their order form yourself. Details of the referral scheme will be disclosed sometime next week.

PiyumiK
Exetel Staff
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:44 pm
Location: North Sydney

Re: Customer Referral Scheme

Post by PiyumiK » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:11 pm

Wil56k wrote:I think the $100 credit against the adsl account is the best option.
It's a shame that I can't recommend Optus in my area, poor reception here in the southern tablelands.
Good luck !
We at Exetel agree that a credit against the ADSL account is the simplest option at the moment. Although it may not be cash in hand it is the next best thing because it is money saved on a utility bill.
I sincerely do hope you will find a few people elsewhere that you can recommend, because this is a fantastic deal provided to us by Optus which we are passing on to the existing and/or new customers in the best way possible.

CoreyPlover wrote:Why not have a running balance of the "credits" that each user gets from referrals and provide the option for them to either a) apply them to their own account automatically until exhausted b) apply them to their own account manually or c) transfer any nominated amount to another Exetel service number of their choosing. This gives absolute flexibility for the individuals (the referer, the referee) to split or transfer the referral credits in any way they wish. It also enables someone to refer multiple new users and transfer the credits for the benefit of other family members, friends, etc. You can even extend the facility to allows this transfer of credits to Exetel's charitable projects.
Thank you for your suggestions. Each reason definitely has its pros and cons. By applying a credit directly to the existing customer who refers a new customer, we are giving you the ability and the freedom to decide what you do with the money rather than complicating the credit process any further. I agree with you on the transfer option, however as mentioned before I know it may not be cash in hand, but it is definitely money saved which can be utilised by other family members/friends. Better yet, the referral program gives everyone of our valued Exetel users to be able to refer as many friends/relatives as they would like too.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Customer Referral Scheme

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:21 pm

PiyumiK wrote:By applying a credit directly to the existing customer who refers a new customer, we are giving you the ability and the freedom to decide what you do with the money rather than complicating the credit process any further
Very true. I didn't think that through completely. I agree that it makes sense to apply 100% credit to the referrer and leave it up to them to redistribute their new-found wealth accordingly. Perhaps stress this justification in the Exetel newsletter so that people appreciate the reason behind it and realise it is optimal.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

jagganaut
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:13 pm
Location: Fairy Meadow

Re: Customer Referral Scheme

Post by jagganaut » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:35 pm

I used to be with Optus when I joined them many years ago.
Optus had a plan [didn;t matter which one] where every fourth month
of internet was free. I think this system will work very well

JT

PiyumiK
Exetel Staff
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:44 pm
Location: North Sydney

Re: Customer Referral Scheme

Post by PiyumiK » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:30 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
PiyumiK wrote:By applying a credit directly to the existing customer who refers a new customer, we are giving you the ability and the freedom to decide what you do with the money rather than complicating the credit process any further
Very true. I didn't think that through completely. I agree that it makes sense to apply 100% credit to the referrer and leave it up to them to redistribute their new-found wealth accordingly. Perhaps stress this justification in the Exetel newsletter so that people appreciate the reason behind it and realise it is optimal.
I guess there are just different ways to look at this - the more you look at it the more positive the scheme becomes. Credit in any form given back by a utility company is quite generous and I am not just saying that because I am an Exetel employee. We will be sure to put it in the newsletter and probably in the email regarding the referral scheme. Appreciate the the tip.
jagganaut wrote: Optus had a plan where every fourth month of internet was free
We are yet to finalise the referral scheme offer. Our present 6 month free Optus ADSL offer on the Exetel website for new customers is first 3 months free and last 3 months free, which seems to be working quite well. We will definitely take your suggestion on board during the finalisation process. Thank you!

ChristopherB
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:09 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Customer Referral Scheme

Post by ChristopherB » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:51 pm

Is the new Customer Referral Scheme proposed to be additional to the current new customer offering of nil ADSL charge for months 1-3 and 9-12?

If you are contemplating a change to that offering when do you envisage you would make the change?

Many thanks for offering us the ability to provide feedback to you. This is just not possible with other large telcos (or most other consumer based companies). I really appreciate the engagement you have with customers and the willingness to be frank with the issues confronting Exetel (both good and bad). Keep it up! It certainly engenders a very high level of loyalty from me and I assume many other customers as well.

Many thanks to all at Exetel (especially the guys in Sri Lanka who are so very helpful whenever I have any queries).

Kind regards,

Chris

aybiss
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:53 am
Location: Newcastle

Re: Customer Referral Scheme

Post by aybiss » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:41 pm

Pity you didn't take care of your resellers.

dallas
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:28 pm
Location: Melb

Re: Customer Referral Scheme

Post by dallas » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:49 pm

I'm always in favour of a user benefit scheme. Maybe the benefit could be a period of free access linked to the plan chosen, therefore the better the plan the higher the benefit.

Post Reply