NBNCo Fibre Plans

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
ForumAdmin

NBNCo Fibre Plans

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:50 am

The plans using NBNCo fibre are now on the web site:

http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-fi ... inland.php

Emails have been sent to current Exetel customers who can get a free install/free usage for NBNCo services in Kiama, Armidale and Willunga.

The published fibre prices apply to those users should they wish to retain their fibre service beyond 30th September.

Before 30th September only current Exetel customers can order NBNCo fibre services as a free trial.

From October 1st anyone who is within an NBNCo fibred area can order fire services at the published prices.

Col

Re: NBNCo Fibre Plans

Post by Col » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:27 pm

It's a pity you don't put out press statements like several other ISPs seem to do. We have Internode's plan announcement popping up on several news sites, and we have a statement from Dodo saying they will be bringing out sub-$40 plans. The fact that you have sub-$40 plans isn't reaching the public all that well.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:04 pm

Col wrote:It's a pity you don't put out press statements like several other ISPs seem to do. We have Internode's plan announcement popping up on several news sites, and we have a statement from Dodo saying they will be bringing out sub-$40 plans. The fact that you have sub-$40 plans isn't reaching the public all that well.
If we had wanted to be like Internode or Dodo then we would not be like Exetel.

But then I never wanted to be a wanker.

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:35 am

ForumAdmin wrote: If we had wanted to be like Internode or Dodo then we would not be like Exetel.
Touche!

Are we going to be pushed to NBN plans (not by Exetel but by the market forces) - I cant see why I'd want to move to NBN based plans when the ones Exetel currently provide meet my requirements
I know this won't be an issue for a couple of years but it has me perplexted as to what everyone is "so excited" about with the NBN - I underatand the speed capabilities but the prices being quoted are not competitive

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:29 am

bodogbodog wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: If we had wanted to be like Internode or Dodo then we would not be like Exetel.
Touche!

Are we going to be pushed to NBN plans (not by Exetel but by the market forces) - I cant see why I'd want to move to NBN based plans when the ones Exetel currently provide meet my requirements
I know this won't be an issue for a couple of years but it has me perplexed as to what everyone is "so excited" about with the NBN - I understand the speed capabilities but the prices being quoted are not competitive
The advantage of 'NBN2' plans are that you don't have to pay for a PSTN line.

Eventually Labor's 'NBN2' mandates the removal of all PSTN - but that's 5 - 10 years away.

In the mean time its only useful if you live in a regional area and can't get ADSL or high speed wireless.

Right now less than 5,000 people can get' NBN2' fibre so "putting out a press release" on a service that is available to one hundredth of one percent of current ADSL users would seem to be, at least to me, utterly pointless or, more precisely, the act of a total wanker.

Col

Post by Col » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:06 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Right now less than 5,000 people can get' NBN2' fibre so "putting out a press release" on a service that is available to one hundredth of one percent of current ADSL users would seem to be, at least to me, utterly pointless or, more precisely, the act of a total wanker.
While it is pointless in that hardly anyone can get the service, I just thought it would be a positive to get Exetel's name out there for people to read and get familiar with. You seem to currently be guaranteed a large enough audience if you can catch the same wave as Internode has. You could get increased brand recognition, and perhaps some of those that read it will recognise Exetel's price competitiveness in not just NBN plans and choose to switch to Exetel for ADSL2+ or other services. Or not.

Sorry for giving my little, inexperienced opinion.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:08 pm

Col wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:Right now less than 5,000 people can get' NBN2' fibre so "putting out a press release" on a service that is available to one hundredth of one percent of current ADSL users would seem to be, at least to me, utterly pointless or, more precisely, the act of a total wanker.
While it is pointless in that hardly anyone can get the service, I just thought it would be a positive to get Exetel's name out there for people to read and get familiar with. You seem to currently be guaranteed a large enough audience if you can catch the same wave as Internode has. You could get increased brand recognition, and perhaps some of those that read it will recognise Exetel's price competitiveness in not just NBN plans and choose to switch to Exetel for ADSL2+ or other services. Or not.

Sorry for giving my little, inexperienced opinion.
All advice is always useful.

In this instance it just makes no sense to me to 'promote' NBNCo pricing when no-one can sign up for the service until 1st October 2011. We only display it on the web site because we have to make known what trial participants will pay if they elect to keep the service - perhaps it should have only been displayed in the user facilities.

As anyone can read what the NBNCo wholesale prices are (port costs and cvc) and as, for the next twelve months or so all NBNco POIs are major data centres in capital cities, those are the only two cost components in providing the service - there than IP which costs which is around 10 cents a gbyte these days and continuing to fall it can be seen that Internode's published 'notional' pricing is sky high and will not be what they actually offer in October.

So while all your points are valid trying to promote some political point of view by listing the Internode nonsense is repugnant.

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:10 pm

I'm in Tasmania, not where the NBN is available, but why are the plans available to us here so different?
What's so different about TAS that we can't have the same plans and prices?

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:44 am

It seems the media have picked up on the Exetel NBN plans now quoting JL's blog comments

Exetel releases commercial NBN prices
By Suzanne Tindal, ZDNet.com.au on July 25th, 2011 (21 hours ago)

Full article @

http://www.zdnet.com.au/exetel-releases ... 2011_fea_7

Munka

Post by Munka » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:40 pm

bodogbodog wrote:It seems the media have picked up on the Exetel NBN plans now quoting JL's blog comments

Exetel releases commercial NBN prices
By Suzanne Tindal, ZDNet.com.au on July 25th, 2011 (21 hours ago)

Full article @

http://www.zdnet.com.au/exetel-releases ... 2011_fea_7
And a Conroy media release http://www.minister.dbcde.gov.au/media/ ... s/2011/224
Munka

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:36 pm

Tazz wrote:I'm in Tasmania, not where the NBN is available, but why are the plans available to us here so different?
The problem with Tasmanian NBNCo pricing, for Exetel at least, is the back haul across Bass Srait costs which are more than triple what Exetel pays in other States and Territories.

Currently there is another problem that the topology of the NBNCo Tasmanian network incurs extra costs that are not present on the trial sites on the mainland.

Things will undoubtedly change quite soon but the prices reflect those realities.

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:29 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
Tazz wrote:I'm in Tasmania, not where the NBN is available, but why are the plans available to us here so different?
Things will undoubtedly change quite soon but the prices reflect those realities.
So eventually TAS will have the same NBN plans/prices available to us?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:06 pm

Tazz wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
So eventually TAS will have the same NBN plans/prices available to us?
It's too difficult for me to say.

It's up to NBNCo to address the anomalies in their current pricing model which I believe they will do.

Berty

Post by Berty » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:36 pm

Am I missing something or is there something unsusal with the NBN plans pricing?
Plans NBN25/10-100 and NBN50-100 both with 100GB allowance have the same price ($55)! and even stranger is plan NBN100-75 which is $50 and gives you 75GB at the speed of 100mbps whereas NBN50-50 at the same price gives you only 50GB at half the speed (50mbps).

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Post by rukshani » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:49 pm

Berty wrote:Am I missing something or is there something unsusal with the NBN plans pricing?
Plans NBN25/10-100 and NBN50-100 both with 100GB allowance have the same price ($55)! and even stranger is plan NBN100-75 which is $50 and gives you 75GB at the speed of 100mbps whereas NBN50-50 at the same price gives you only 50GB at half the speed (50mbps).
An Exetel representative will shortly advise you over this.