Time to port a mobile service

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
Mort

Time to port a mobile service

Post by Mort » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:31 pm

Greetings,

Just thought I'd point out some inconsistencies regarding the various communication related to porting a mobile service.

Signup: I can't check if it gives an indication of porting time without going through the sign up process again
Provisioning notification email: It states "If you are PORTING..." it can take from 60-120 minutes
The Application Status/Activation web page: Says porting take 15 minutes to 4 hours, or 24 hours within Optus
The SIM and letter:The letter you get with the SIM says porting takes 60-180 minutes

I can't even begin to understand why it would take longer to PORT a number within the Optus network than to port from another carrier to Optus.

However, I think someone might need to go through all the communications to fix them up to say the same thing, and make it clearer about the Optus thing. I didn't even know I'd be waiting "up to 24 hours" to port until I read it on the Activation web page. Not a big drama, but inconvenient.

Scott.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

ForumAdmin

Re: Time to port a mobile service

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:51 pm

Mort wrote:Greetings,

Just thought I'd point out some inconsistencies regarding the various communication related to porting a mobile service.

Signup: I can't check if it gives an indication of porting time without going through the sign up process again
Provisioning notification email: It states "If you are PORTING..." it can take from 60-120 minutes
The Application Status/Activation web page: Says porting take 15 minutes to 4 hours, or 24 hours within Optus
The SIM and letter:The letter you get with the SIM says porting takes 60-180 minutes

I can't even begin to understand why it would take longer to PORT a number within the Optus network than to port from another carrier to Optus.

However, I think someone might need to go through all the communications to fix them up to say the same thing, and make it clearer about the Optus thing. I didn't even know I'd be waiting "up to 24 hours" to port until I read it on the Activation web page. Not a big drama, but inconvenient.

Scott.
I will get a more knowledgeable person to reply to you.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Scott,

Thankyou for that. To clarify, the actual porting process itself (once it is initiated betweeen carriers) takes only 1 to 2 hours with only very minimal downtime.
The downtime depends on the customer awareness because the best indicator is when service is lost with the losing carrier. That is the point at which the SIM from the gaining carrier should be inserted and the service will be in operation.

Now, the above is true barring any problems. Problems can range from a) customer not in receipt of the new SIM at time of port (SIM lost in post) , b) attempted port and activation on a Sunday (carriers don't port on this day) to c) whether it is a 'same-carrier' port. The 24 hour Optus - Optus port, what is called a same carrier port, strangely enough, can take longer than a port from say Telstra to Optus.

I can see the below is confusing and we will have it clarified.

Mort

Post by Mort » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:10 pm

The issue I was raising was more about the different times given in different places. The time it actually takes is just whatever it is...

I just got the TXT saying the service was now switched. You might want to look at that as well as it says "Please be advised you Exetel Mobile service is now complete and ready. Please check your primary contact email address for the login details required for access to input into your modem and user facilities"

Not sure why you would have the bit about needing to input anything into my modem...
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Post by rukshani » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Mort wrote:The issue I was raising was more about the different times given in different places. The time it actually takes is just whatever it is...

I just got the TXT saying the service was now switched. You might want to look at that as well as it says "Please be advised you Exetel Mobile service is now complete and ready. Please check your primary contact email address for the login details required for access to input into your modem and user facilities"

Not sure why you would have the bit about needing to input anything into my modem...
I have asked an Exetel representative to look in to this for you. He will shortly advise you on this.