Better procedure for installing new line

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
Subulgian

Better procedure for installing new line

Post by Subulgian » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:25 pm

Firstly, been a happy customer for a while now. I am in the middle of moving to another residence, and apparently the line has been disconnected for some time, the copper has been appropriated by somebody else and I need to get a new line installed. I have no problem with this. However I was told that I have to arrange this myself, and to call Telstra. Ok. I call them up and they inform me that if I want to change providers straight away (which I need to do to get on the plan I want with you guys), it will cost me a further $100 on top of the the $299 installation for terminating within the first 3 months. Ouch. I call you guys back to try and get some advice, and was pretty much told there's nothing you can do and to arrange it with Telstra. Fine, I'm in the middle of moving, pretty frustrated, and I just bite the bullet and go ahead and order it. I have since found out that I could've gotten some other third party to get Telstra to install the line, who wouldn't worry about any sort of early termination, and that it's quite common place for other ISP's to order this service wholesale for just the $299.

So my question is, why can't you guys order the line for me so I avoid such a cost? And if that really is such a hassle, my suggestion is that you refer me to a company other than those evil Telstra scum.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Better procedure for installing new line

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:36 pm

As far as I know, all "third party" installs have similar contracts, or termination fee like Telstra's "temporary line fee". So there aren't alternatives to Telstra for the line install.

I'm not up to date with why Exetel can't order the line for you, with the correct wholesaler (Telstra or Optus) to avoid the $100 fee, since this is a retail charge, not a wholesale one. I guess it depends on the plan and whether you are bundling the phone rental + ADSL together. But for new premises installs that require physical laying of cable, I've always considered this $100 temporary line fee unavoidable.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

remosha
Exetel Staff

Post by remosha » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:35 pm

Subulgian wrote:Firstly, been a happy customer for a while now. I am in the middle of moving to another residence, and apparently the line has been disconnected for some time, the copper has been appropriated by somebody else and I need to get a new line installed. I have no problem with this. However I was told that I have to arrange this myself, and to call Telstra. Ok. I call them up and they inform me that if I want to change providers straight away (which I need to do to get on the plan I want with you guys), it will cost me a further $100 on top of the the $299 installation for terminating within the first 3 months. Ouch. I call you guys back to try and get some advice, and was pretty much told there's nothing you can do and to arrange it with Telstra. Fine, I'm in the middle of moving, pretty frustrated, and I just bite the bullet and go ahead and order it. I have since found out that I could've gotten some other third party to get Telstra to install the line, who wouldn't worry about any sort of early termination, and that it's quite common place for other ISP's to order this service wholesale for just the $299.

So my question is, why can't you guys order the line for me so I avoid such a cost? And if that really is such a hassle, my suggestion is that you refer me to a company other than those evil Telstra scum.
If there's damaged / no copper running to your new residence, the charge Exetel has to bear to connect the telephone line there, is as same as the charges you have quoted above.
You may find this information by following the link provided: https://www.exetel.com.au/order_service ... r_form.php

If you could kindly email residentialsales@exetel.com.au with your current service number and the address of your new location with a summary of the situation, we'll be able to look into this further.

Subulgian

Post by Subulgian » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:46 pm

Hmm. I have an acquaintance who works for Bendigo Community Telco who said they can set it up for $299 (contracting through Telstra), and apparently iPrimus do too. And another one who said TPG took care of it all for $299 (he was bundling his line and net with them, though).

Do you think it's really worth bothering remosha? It's basically done, I have a Telstra tech coming around on Thursday.

Subulgian

Post by Subulgian » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:53 pm

To expand on my last line, just thought I would post in this section because the whole thing has left a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:53 pm

Subulgian wrote:Hmm. I have an acquaintance who works for Bendigo Community Telco who said they can set it up for $299 (contracting through Telstra), and apparently iPrimus do too.
And do you know if a $100 termination fee applies in these cases, if the service is disconnected / ported within 3 months?
Subulgian wrote:And another one who said TPG took care of it all for $299 (he was bundling his line and net with them, though).
This is more typical. There are some wholesale processes that can avoid the termination fee because the phone line is bundled and hence maintained

But, I'll admit that I'm not inherently familiar with the provisioning processes. All I know is that Telstra used to do these $299 installs for retail customers, without a termination fee but they introduced this fee about 2 years ago (?) when Naked ADSL was popular. It is very much an arbitrary retail "charge" imposed by Telstra, so perhaps third party wholesalers can indeed avoid it.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Subulgian

Post by Subulgian » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:58 am

Certainly isn't the case with BCT, why else would I be mentioning it? And yeah, I know the TPG part is more typical, reckon it sounds like a nice idea for Exetel as well as I'm in exactly the same boat. Also yeah, I know Telstra used to do it without a termination fee as well, I was in the same situation a fair while back when iiNet first rolled out ADSL2, haven't had to do it since and this is how I was caught off guard. Anyway this thread is going nowhere fast, thanks for your responses I guess.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:31 am

Subulgian wrote:
Hmm. I have an acquaintance who works for Bendigo Community Telco who said they can set it up for $299 (contracting through Telstra), and apparently iPrimus do too.

CoreyPlover responded:
And do you know if a $100 termination fee applies in these cases, if the service is disconnected / ported within 3 months?

Subulgian then responded:
Certainly isn't the case with BCT, why else would I be mentioning it?
Subulgian,

This is news to Exetel. We will do some investigation with Telstra wholesale into this and will reply on the outcome.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:06 pm

Subulgian,

Confirming the $100 will not apply. We will get that changed.

Subulgian

Post by Subulgian » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:50 pm

Well that's good to hear ExetelVoice, I'm glad to have contributed the quality of Exetels service even though I got my line hooked up today and can't get out of Telstra stringing me the $100 :P

I did actually try to cancel the order with them as soon as I found out the other info but the pricks wouldn't let me.

Anywho cheers

Subulgian

Post by Subulgian » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:27 pm

So I've finally gotten my connection woes sorted, but was caught a little bit off guard by the $120 new connection fee (Telstra DSLAM). Is this really what it costs? I've been told this isn't the wholesale price, and usually when a contract is forced there is some benefit in the form of cheaper (or zero) installation. Given everything I've been through this past month it's going to be hard to speak about Exetel in a positive light if the subject of ISPs is brought up.

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Post by rukshani » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:45 pm

Subulgian wrote:So I've finally gotten my connection woes sorted, but was caught a little bit off guard by the $120 new connection fee (Telstra DSLAM). Is this really what it costs? I've been told this isn't the wholesale price, and usually when a contract is forced there is some benefit in the form of cheaper (or zero) installation. Given everything I've been through this past month it's going to be hard to speak about Exetel in a positive light if the subject of ISPs is brought up.
The sales supervisor will get in touch with your shortly to explain to you the costs over the service activation. We hope to see through to your particular case more closely and advise you over it.

Subulgian

Post by Subulgian » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:40 pm

OK, if I was misinformed about the wholesale price then I apologise for the tone of my last post. Also I'm not quite sure I completely understood what was said about the $100 in the phone conversation I had, I hope you guys aren't absorbing that for me - I ended up having a whinge to Telstra and getting them to waive the fee for me. They lied to me on more than one occasion and I really don't want any more money going to them than needs to.