New NBN plans - Sneak Peek

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
Mort

New NBN plans - Sneak Peek

Post by Mort » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:10 pm

Greetings,

(I can't post new topics in the Products and Services area so posting here instead)

I just got the email that has the sneek peek of the new NBN plans with shaping. Although I can't get NBN just yet (later this year hopefully) I am curious to know if these plans are in addition to the existing plans or would they replace the existing plans?

The main thing I noticed is that the new plans are a *lot* more expensive (although connection is cheaper).
e.g.
12/1 with 50GB $35 -> $49.50
25/5 with 50GB $40 -> $54.50
100/40 with 150GB $60 -> $89.50 (50% increase!!)

Considering the shaping is a woeful 1024/384, are these plans going to be the only options?
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

Mort

Re: New NBN plans - Sneak Peek

Post by Mort » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:12 pm

I noticed also the deal with the "free" modems that require a $25 shipping fee? That's more than the "saving" you get for the modem!
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

shoner

Post by shoner » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:57 pm

Mort wrote:Greetings,

(I can't post new topics in the Products and Services area so posting here instead)

I just got the email that has the sneek peek of the new NBN plans with shaping. Although I can't get NBN just yet (later this year hopefully) I am curious to know if these plans are in addition to the existing plans or would they replace the existing plans?

The main thing I noticed is that the new plans are a *lot* more expensive (although connection is cheaper).
e.g.

Considering the shaping is a woeful 1024/384, are these plans going to be the only options?
I will get a sales agent to respond to you.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Venurukshi
Exetel Staff

Post by Venurukshi » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:18 pm

Mort wrote:Greetings,

e.g.

The website will be replaced by these new NBN plans within the next few weeks time.

Mort

Post by Mort » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:01 pm

Ok, so no further comment on the huge price differences?

Venurukshi
Exetel Staff

Post by Venurukshi » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Mort wrote:Ok, so no further comment on the huge price differences?

All set prices are in line with the pricing charged by our wholesale supplier and Exetel still offers competitive pricing in comparison to other leading NBN Retail Service Providers.

Mort

Post by Mort » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:46 pm

Isn't NBNco your wholesale provider or is Exetel reselling Optus NBN services?

LindaB

Post by LindaB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:26 pm

If that is a correct example of the NBN pricing I will most definately be staying with Exetel, the plan I am on includes a very generous download quota of 300 Gb & excellent speed. To get the same plan for the price on the NBN will be quite expensive so not even going to consider it.

Mort

Post by Mort » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:45 pm

LindaB wrote:If that is a correct example of the NBN pricing I will most definately be staying with Exetel, the plan I am on includes a very generous download quota of 300 Gb & excellent speed. To get the same plan for the price on the NBN will be quite expensive so not even going to consider it.
Well perhaps, but it's not an apples for apples comparison. The speeds on offer for the NBN are a key factor. I don't mind paying a bit more for that extra speed as I run servers that would benefit greatly from it, but different people have different needs. For starters, one of my needs is to have a service that doesn't bomb out when it rains, despite the fact I live 2km from the exchange in a metropolitan Sydney suburb. :)

If I don't get the NBN I'm sunk, coz there is HFC cable running past my house, and if the latest comments from Malcolm are implemented then I'll never be able to get a decent reliable service unless I move to a new home.

The main surprise I had seeing the new prices was more to do with the significant jump in price. A smallish increase I could understand, but the new prices are WAY more than just a small increase.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:43 pm

Our NBN buy prices are much more than our ADSL buy prices.

Mort

Post by Mort » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:02 pm

James wrote:Our NBN buy prices are much more than our ADSL buy prices.
So are the current prices "introductory" ones for the first phase of roll-out? I'm not trying to compare the prices to ADSL, just comparing the new NBN plan prices to the current NBN plan prices.

PiyumiK
Exetel Staff

Post by PiyumiK » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:03 pm

Mort wrote:
James wrote:Our NBN buy prices are much more than our ADSL buy prices.
So are the current prices "introductory" ones for the first phase of roll-out? I'm not trying to compare the prices to ADSL, just comparing the new NBN plan prices to the current NBN plan prices.
Hi Mort,

Yes that is correct. The introductory pricing offered by NBNCo has several free components in it, which they will soon start billing for which means pricing amongst all other retail service providers are bound to change in the near future. The pricing that we are offering as part of our "sneak peak" pricing covers all costs associated to providing an NBN service.

We also offer Unmetered off peak which is great for users who want that extra download allowance, especially on NBN speeds. No other RSP has offered Unmetered off peak on NBN plans at this stage.

Regards,
Piyumi.

Mort

Post by Mort » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:09 pm

That makes sense then. Exetels prices are still way better regardless.
Will these plans include a VoIP number as well or some other telephony option?

Venurukshi
Exetel Staff

Post by Venurukshi » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:38 pm

Mort wrote:That makes sense then. Exetels prices are still way better regardless.
You can go for a VOIP service with all NBN packages. You also get a free VoIP DID Number with every RV (Residential VoIP) plan.

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:00 am

Venurukshi wrote:
Mort wrote:That makes sense then. Exetels prices are still way better regardless.
You can go for a VOIP service with all NBN packages. You also get a free VoIP DID Number with every RV (Residential VoIP) plan.
Would that be a free DID that costs $5 a month? Lowest plan is a RV5 for each DID.