Page 1 of 2

New NBN plans - Sneak Peek

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:10 pm
by Mort
Greetings,

(I can't post new topics in the Products and Services area so posting here instead)

I just got the email that has the sneek peek of the new NBN plans with shaping. Although I can't get NBN just yet (later this year hopefully) I am curious to know if these plans are in addition to the existing plans or would they replace the existing plans?

The main thing I noticed is that the new plans are a *lot* more expensive (although connection is cheaper).
e.g.
12/1 with 50GB $35 -> $49.50
25/5 with 50GB $40 -> $54.50
100/40 with 150GB $60 -> $89.50 (50% increase!!)

Considering the shaping is a woeful 1024/384, are these plans going to be the only options?

Re: New NBN plans - Sneak Peek

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:12 pm
by Mort
I noticed also the deal with the "free" modems that require a $25 shipping fee? That's more than the "saving" you get for the modem!

Re: New NBN plans - Sneak Peek

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:57 pm
by shoner
Mort wrote:Greetings,

(I can't post new topics in the Products and Services area so posting here instead)

I just got the email that has the sneek peek of the new NBN plans with shaping. Although I can't get NBN just yet (later this year hopefully) I am curious to know if these plans are in addition to the existing plans or would they replace the existing plans?

The main thing I noticed is that the new plans are a *lot* more expensive (although connection is cheaper).
e.g.
12/1 with 50GB $35 -> $49.50
25/5 with 50GB $40 -> $54.50
100/40 with 150GB $60 -> $89.50 (50% increase!!)

Considering the shaping is a woeful 1024/384, are these plans going to be the only options?
I will get a sales agent to respond to you.

Re: New NBN plans - Sneak Peek

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:18 pm
by Venurukshi
Mort wrote:Greetings,

(I can't post new topics in the Products and Services area so posting here instead)

I just got the email that has the sneek peek of the new NBN plans with shaping. Although I can't get NBN just yet (later this year hopefully) I am curious to know if these plans are in addition to the existing plans or would they replace the existing plans?

The main thing I noticed is that the new plans are a *lot* more expensive (although connection is cheaper).
e.g.
12/1 with 50GB $35 -> $49.50
25/5 with 50GB $40 -> $54.50
100/40 with 150GB $60 -> $89.50 (50% increase!!)

Considering the shaping is a woeful 1024/384, are these plans going to be the only options?
The website will be replaced by these new NBN plans within the next few weeks time.

Re: New NBN plans - Sneak Peek

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:01 pm
by Mort
Ok, so no further comment on the huge price differences?

Re: New NBN plans - Sneak Peek

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:52 pm
by Venurukshi
Mort wrote:Ok, so no further comment on the huge price differences?

All set prices are in line with the pricing charged by our wholesale supplier and Exetel still offers competitive pricing in comparison to other leading NBN Retail Service Providers.

Re: New NBN plans - Sneak Peek

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:46 pm
by Mort
Isn't NBNco your wholesale provider or is Exetel reselling Optus NBN services?

Re: New NBN plans - Sneak Peek

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:26 pm
by LindaB
If that is a correct example of the NBN pricing I will most definately be staying with Exetel, the plan I am on includes a very generous download quota of 300 Gb & excellent speed. To get the same plan for the price on the NBN will be quite expensive so not even going to consider it.

Re: New NBN plans - Sneak Peek

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:45 pm
by Mort
LindaB wrote:If that is a correct example of the NBN pricing I will most definately be staying with Exetel, the plan I am on includes a very generous download quota of 300 Gb & excellent speed. To get the same plan for the price on the NBN will be quite expensive so not even going to consider it.
Well perhaps, but it's not an apples for apples comparison. The speeds on offer for the NBN are a key factor. I don't mind paying a bit more for that extra speed as I run servers that would benefit greatly from it, but different people have different needs. For starters, one of my needs is to have a service that doesn't bomb out when it rains, despite the fact I live 2km from the exchange in a metropolitan Sydney suburb. :)

If I don't get the NBN I'm sunk, coz there is HFC cable running past my house, and if the latest comments from Malcolm are implemented then I'll never be able to get a decent reliable service unless I move to a new home.

The main surprise I had seeing the new prices was more to do with the significant jump in price. A smallish increase I could understand, but the new prices are WAY more than just a small increase.

Re: New NBN plans - Sneak Peek

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:43 pm
by James
Our NBN buy prices are much more than our ADSL buy prices.

Re: New NBN plans - Sneak Peek

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:02 pm
by Mort
James wrote:Our NBN buy prices are much more than our ADSL buy prices.
So are the current prices "introductory" ones for the first phase of roll-out? I'm not trying to compare the prices to ADSL, just comparing the new NBN plan prices to the current NBN plan prices.

Re: New NBN plans - Sneak Peek

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:03 pm
by PiyumiK
Mort wrote:
James wrote:Our NBN buy prices are much more than our ADSL buy prices.
So are the current prices "introductory" ones for the first phase of roll-out? I'm not trying to compare the prices to ADSL, just comparing the new NBN plan prices to the current NBN plan prices.
Hi Mort,

Yes that is correct. The introductory pricing offered by NBNCo has several free components in it, which they will soon start billing for which means pricing amongst all other retail service providers are bound to change in the near future. The pricing that we are offering as part of our "sneak peak" pricing covers all costs associated to providing an NBN service.

We also offer Unmetered off peak which is great for users who want that extra download allowance, especially on NBN speeds. No other RSP has offered Unmetered off peak on NBN plans at this stage.

Regards,
Piyumi.

Re: New NBN plans - Sneak Peek

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:09 pm
by Mort
That makes sense then. Exetels prices are still way better regardless.
Will these plans include a VoIP number as well or some other telephony option?

Re: New NBN plans - Sneak Peek

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:38 pm
by Venurukshi
Mort wrote:That makes sense then. Exetels prices are still way better regardless.
Will these plans include a VoIP number as well or some other telephony option?
You can go for a VOIP service with all NBN packages. You also get a free VoIP DID Number with every RV (Residential VoIP) plan.

Re: New NBN plans - Sneak Peek

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:00 am
by rseydler
Venurukshi wrote:
Mort wrote:That makes sense then. Exetels prices are still way better regardless.
Will these plans include a VoIP number as well or some other telephony option?
You can go for a VOIP service with all NBN packages. You also get a free VoIP DID Number with every RV (Residential VoIP) plan.
Would that be a free DID that costs $5 a month? Lowest plan is a RV5 for each DID.