Annoyance with the Exetel homepage

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
Chris T
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:53 pm

Annoyance with the Exetel homepage

Post by Chris T » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:57 pm

I just came across an annoying aspect with the Exetel homepage http://www.exetel.com.au/.

The menu at the top of the page containing the login boxes is not scrollable with the horizontal scrollbar in Firefox 20.0.1 when the browser window is narrower than the menu. It can obscure the Login button and hence people can't login as the boxes for "User Name" and "Password" do not accept Carriage Return to post the login details.

The menu is scrollable in most of the subpages under http://www.exetel.com.au/ however, e.g., http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php

I only noticed this behaviour recently, as my browser windows are usually wider than 925 pixels which is about the minimum width on my browser to show the Login button.

Chris.

VKPORTABLE
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:20 pm
Location: Victoria

Re: Annoyance with the Exetel homepage

Post by VKPORTABLE » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:17 pm

I have never noticed this issue, although I run the browser(s) full screen and use Google Chrome. Firefox was starting to annoy me and would have issues with certain pages, I have never had any problems since changing to Chrome it seems to work okay.

User avatar
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Annoyance with the Exetel homepage

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:35 am

I use Chrome (26.0.1410.64), and can also confirm the behaviour that Chris T is reporting.

The only thing I can add is that the background also seems to be cut off when horizontal scrolling on those subpages that do "work".
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

User avatar
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5997
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Annoyance with the Exetel homepage

Post by Dazzled » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:11 am

Corey, put it through an html and css code checker - and all will be clear. The page still needs polishing.

Chris T
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: Annoyance with the Exetel homepage

Post by Chris T » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:05 pm

This problem is still not resolved. It is impossible to login to member facilities through http://www.exetel.com.au/ on a small screen, e.g. mobiles.

Chris.

User avatar
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5997
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Annoyance with the Exetel homepage

Post by Dazzled » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Chris, have you tried Opera on your small screen? It fits to width, though you may possibly then discover the side effects of other coding problems on the pages. I'd give it a go anyway.

Chris T
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: Annoyance with the Exetel homepage

Post by Chris T » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:50 pm

I really, really hate having forced to use a specific web browser for a website. There are enough websites tailored for IE only that I found it very annoying already. No, I haven't tried Opera but I have tried Firefox, Chrome & IE. I think that is a broad enough spectrum of web browsers that demonstrated that there is a coding problem with the homepage. Although, I haven't done an exhaustive test, this problem doesn't exist in the subpages that I visited. It appears to be that it shouldn't be that hard to fix.

Chris.

User avatar
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5997
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Annoyance with the Exetel homepage

Post by Dazzled » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:05 pm

I know how you feel - I hate being forced to use Firefox for some sites that are badly written (usually by people who mistakenly think that Microsoft sets standards).

Opera differs from the ones you mention by having a fit-to-width feature built-in to the display engine, and you will often see it used on small screens without fuss.

The site has many other coding problems which I'd like to see some work on. Another approach, depending on your skills would be a user script to over-ride the author's code and bring the login box to the left. I do that much more than I should have to for many sites, and hate that too. It should never be necessary.

User avatar
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Annoyance with the Exetel homepage

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:10 am

Another suggestion, if you haven't already tried it, is to use the suggestion box in your member facilities. That might have a greater chance of the issue being forwarded to the relevant person for resolution.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

thusithaK
Exetel Staff
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:07 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Annoyance with the Exetel homepage

Post by thusithaK » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:24 pm

Chris T wrote:I just came across an annoying aspect with the Exetel homepage http://www.exetel.com.au/.

The menu at the top of the page containing the login boxes is not scrollable with the horizontal scrollbar in Firefox 20.0.1 when the browser window is narrower than the menu. It can obscure the Login button and hence people can't login as the boxes for "User Name" and "Password" do not accept Carriage Return to post the login details.

The menu is scrollable in most of the subpages under http://www.exetel.com.au/ however, e.g., http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php

I only noticed this behaviour recently, as my browser windows are usually wider than 925 pixels which is about the minimum width on my browser to show the Login button.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Please re-visit the homepage http://www.exetel.com.au/ and see that its been fixed now,
sorry for the inconvenience caused and really appreciate your enthusiasm to point it out.
Please feel free to contact us again regarding issues and suggestions, Thank you!

ThusithaK

User avatar
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Annoyance with the Exetel homepage

Post by jokiin » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:39 pm

thusithaK wrote:
Please re-visit the homepage http://www.exetel.com.au/ and see that its been fixed now,
not working here on iOS or Android????

thusithaK
Exetel Staff
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:07 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Annoyance with the Exetel homepage

Post by thusithaK » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:50 pm

jokiin wrote:not working here on iOS or Android????
Hi there,
we have tested the site on all popular smartphone types and their native browsers and it is set to adopt to small screens gradually.
if you could send the phone type (galaxy s3, s4 , iphone3, 4 etc.. )and the browser you have used (android's default, safari, chrome, opera mini etc.. )
we will try to fix those problems if there's any.
Thank you for the remark.

Thusitha.

Chris T
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: Annoyance with the Exetel homepage

Post by Chris T » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:50 pm

It's fixed on my main browser on PC. It is also working on Chrome, Firefox & the native browser on a Galaxy S4.

Thanks,
Chris.

User avatar
KavindaS
Forum Admin
Posts: 2012
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Annoyance with the Exetel homepage

Post by KavindaS » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:12 pm

Chris T wrote:It's fixed on my main browser on PC. It is also working on Chrome, Firefox & the native browser on a Galaxy S4.
Thanks for the confirmation Chris. Glad to hear that. Do let us know if further issues in future :) .

User avatar
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Annoyance with the Exetel homepage

Post by jokiin » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:40 am

thusithaK wrote:
jokiin wrote:not working here on iOS or Android????
Hi there,
we have tested the site on all popular smartphone types and their native browsers and it is set to adopt to small screens gradually.
if you could send the phone type (galaxy s3, s4 , iphone3, 4 etc.. )and the browser you have used (android's default, safari, chrome, opera mini etc.. )
we will try to fix those problems if there's any.
Thank you for the remark.

Thusitha.
Safari on iOS current version iPhone5, Chrome on Motorola Razr HD Android 4.12, almost works on the iPhone, can enter the user name and password but don't get any further than that, Motorola couldn't even get that far

Post Reply