ADSL Line Configuration Feature

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
jasonmitchell

ADSL Line Configuration Feature

Post by jasonmitchell » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:31 pm

I was churning from Telstra to Exetel recently and join the exetel team. So far, no issue which is good. I notice when I log in the member facilities there is no ADSL Line Configuration feature for customers to set these profile to each of their own? When I was with telstra, it was set to "Standard" line as default, and I could change it over to "Fast" that lowers the latency, and all that. When changing, it take 4 hours to take effect and all that to be on that profile etc. I'm not quite sure how Optus and AAPT work if they have those but maybe you should add this feature to Telstra Wholesale customers like me and others who is on Telstra's network.

See the picture

I suggest Exetel to add this feature to member facilities like me and other customers who use these.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: ADSL Line Configuration Feature

Post by Dazzled » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:08 pm

I'm not so sure it's straightforward when there's more than one supplier to alter interleaving. If you only wish to modify noise margins a little, it can be done from most modems, although few manufacturers tell you this. Many Billions have a setting in the config pages. Any brand containing a Broadcom chipset can be altered fairly simply using the telnet interface. The command arguments aren't obvious though. What feature were you using previously?

jasonmitchell

Post by jasonmitchell » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:14 pm

Well, I still use those Telstra premium home network gateway as I don't have a issue with these modem they provided and I get the same speed on Exetel to what I have with Telstra, and other reason is that I'm on telstra top hat. I put my exetel username and password in the telstra modem, it still work all smoothly. Just no SNR feature in those modem sadly.

Should I be buying billion adsl2+ router? Telstra allow customers to change these on the member portal on their website, I think those changes to the line, not my router? I'm not quite sure how this works but yeh.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:54 pm

Nothing has changed locally so I wouldn't go out and change your modem. Tweaking SNR gives a small speed gain at the expense of increasing drop-outs. It's only occasionally worth doing. There is a telnet interface on these modems but I'm not aware of the chipset or CLI commands. Should you visit on this interface you'll find a simplified Linux command-line shell. A bit of command line experience would help as there is no documentation.