Questions about new FTTN Service

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
maestro

Questions about new FTTN Service

Post by maestro » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:06 pm

Not sure where to post this (products and services wouldn't let me post, and there isn't a section that covers FTTN), so I'll post here...

I'm due to be ready for service on FTTN on Sep 30th. I'm currently on an Exetel plan using AAPT equipment (ineligible for Optus ADSL due to long cable to the exchange), my phone is still with Telstra. I have a couple of questions about transitionaing to FTTN NBN.

1) Your T&Cs talk about a central splitter, so I presume that the landline will stay operational if I connect to FTTN with Exetel. Does Exetel have a deal that includes landline (not VoIP)?
2) Your Q&A page talks about the speeds being available to some (but not all) FTTN customers, and reading online it seems that I will probably be able to get between 30 and 50Mbps. How can I take advantage of the best speed? Since I am not likely to be able to get more than 50Mbps I am not interested in wasting money on a 100Mbps plan, but I can't find the 50Mbps plans. Everyone I work with is recommending a 50Mpbs plan for my situation. Where are Exetel's 50Mpbs plans?
3) What is the outage / switchover like when changing from Exetel ADSL to Exetel FTTN? Will it be a quick (less than a few hours) changeover, or will I have an outage of several days? Since this will re-use the existing copper into my house, I presume that I will not be required to be at home when this happens. Will my current Exetel plan be cancelled automatically?
4) If I choose an alternate FTTN provider, will that automatically cancel my Exetel service or will I need to notify you. If I need to notify you, then how much notice do I need to give?
5) Your current deals expire on the same day that my area is due to be ready for FTTN. It won't let me apply at the moment as my area is marked as not ready. Is there a way to apply early so that I can lock in the current deal?
6) Can you please post information on what FTTN modems are available through Exetel, and their prices. I was unable to find any information on your website, and your "NBN Guides" are either for FTTP or wireless. Remember that my area is not live yet, so I cannot access the application webpages. Can you please provide this information so that I can evaluate the options and make a decision.
7) Your T&Cs talk about a central splitter being installed my an NBN technician if required. How is this determined? I already have a VDSL2 rated central splitter and will not require one, and do not wish to pay the very large charge for this. Is there a section on the application where I can say that this is not required?

Thank you

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: Questions about new FTTN Service

Post by KavindaS » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:42 pm

maestro wrote:Not sure where to post this (products and services wouldn't let me post, and there isn't a section that covers FTTN), so I'll post here...

I'm due to be ready for service on FTTN on Sep 30th. I'm currently on an Exetel plan using AAPT equipment (ineligible for Optus ADSL due to long cable to the exchange), my phone is still with Telstra. I have a couple of questions about transitionaing to FTTN NBN.

1) Your T&Cs talk about a central splitter, so I presume that the landline will stay operational if I connect to FTTN with Exetel. Does Exetel have a deal that includes landline (not VoIP)?
2) Your Q&A page talks about the speeds being available to some (but not all) FTTN customers, and reading online it seems that I will probably be able to get between 30 and 50Mbps. How can I take advantage of the best speed? Since I am not likely to be able to get more than 50Mbps I am not interested in wasting money on a 100Mbps plan, but I can't find the 50Mbps plans. Everyone I work with is recommending a 50Mpbs plan for my situation. Where are Exetel's 50Mpbs plans?
3) What is the outage / switchover like when changing from Exetel ADSL to Exetel FTTN? Will it be a quick (less than a few hours) changeover, or will I have an outage of several days? Since this will re-use the existing copper into my house, I presume that I will not be required to be at home when this happens. Will my current Exetel plan be cancelled automatically?
4) If I choose an alternate FTTN provider, will that automatically cancel my Exetel service or will I need to notify you. If I need to notify you, then how much notice do I need to give?
5) Your current deals expire on the same day that my area is due to be ready for FTTN. It won't let me apply at the moment as my area is marked as not ready. Is there a way to apply early so that I can lock in the current deal?
6) Can you please post information on what FTTN modems are available through Exetel, and their prices. I was unable to find any information on your website, and your "NBN Guides" are either for FTTP or wireless. Remember that my area is not live yet, so I cannot access the application webpages. Can you please provide this information so that I can evaluate the options and make a decision.
7) Your T&Cs talk about a central splitter being installed my an NBN technician if required. How is this determined? I already have a VDSL2 rated central splitter and will not require one, and do not wish to pay the very large charge for this. Is there a section on the application where I can say that this is not required?

Thank you
Apologies for no response on this :( . I have informed the sales department to check and get back to you via the new thread https://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.p ... 86#p318986