Exetel issuing Sydney numbers to Maitland residents

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
Ted D

Exetel issuing Sydney numbers to Maitland residents

Post by Ted D » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:40 pm

My daughter has recently signed up with Exetel as her NBN provider. When the installation was done she was advised there were some issues with keeping her existing numbers and to speed up the process she would be given a new number. Her phone is now VOIP.

She was allocated a new number and thought nothing of it. It now turns out that the number allocated to her is in fact a Sydney number not a number from the Maitland area where she lives.

When local people call her they are now charged at a National rate not a local call rate. This was only discovered when people who had been calling her received their accounts and found charges for National calls.

I spoke to a Exetel representative who was very nonplussed and didn't appeared interested in the slightest. Overall very poor form by Exetel to issue out off area numbers and I wouldn't be at all surprised if this type of thing is happening regularly.

I am one of those charged for making calls to a National number when my daughter lives in the same relative area to me.

My next step will be to file a complaint with the Telecommunications Ombudsman.

Regards

Ted D

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Exetel issuing Sydney numbers to Maitland residents

Post by Dazzled » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:30 pm

I will leave it to Support to correct this important problem for her, but it's worth commenting that many people request out-of-area numbers. I know of Novocastrians with Sydney and Brisbane numbers, primarily because they receive many calls from those places. Many people in Australia can ring national numbers at local rates, but not Telstra landline customers.

Ted D

Post by Ted D » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:58 pm

I take that point about numbers being requested but this was not the case and by the incompetence of the whoever set this number up, a lot of people have been charged national rates for calls they believed were local calls.

This is an abject failure or plain incompetence by those involved. Why should unsuspecting people have to pay for this type of rubbish service. Maybe a bit more attention to detail or having the correct procedures in place would help.

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff

Post by Kaushalya » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:04 pm

Hi Ted D,

Could you please PM me the service number in question so that we can have a look.

Cheers!
Kaushalya

Ted D

Post by Ted D » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:53 pm

Good evening

I have been advised that the phone number is in the process of being changed. The larger problem is that these types of issues occur and someone else is left to pick up the bill.

My next question is 'how often does this occur and how wide spread is this type of issue within this company'. Someone needs to have a good look at the policies and procedures to ensure these types of error do not occur.

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff

Post by Kaushalya » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:21 pm

Ted D wrote:Good evening

I have been advised that the phone number is in the process of being changed. The larger problem is that these types of issues occur and someone else is left to pick up the bill.

My next question is 'how often does this occur and how wide spread is this type of issue within this company'. Someone needs to have a good look at the policies and procedures to ensure these types of error do not occur.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused!!

You may PM me the service number so we can check what has exactly happened.