Not helpful Maintenance / Outage Notications

Help improve Exetel's services (a Suggestion Box is also available in your member facilities)
Chris T

Not helpful Maintenance / Outage Notications

Post by Chris T » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:36 pm

Am I the only one found most of the maintenance / outage notifications on this forum in the last couple of years not very informative at all? Take the latest planned outage notification Planned Network Maintenance - Multiple Suburbs, NSW

I can accept that if it is an unplanned outage beyond Exetel control and you have to get the extent of the outage from your upstream provider. However, as a planned outage, "disrupt some services in Multiple Suburbs, NSW" does not tell me anything at all. In practice, it is equivalent to saying that don't plan on using the Internet in the outage window. NSW is a a very big area, over 800,000 km². What are the "some services"? This forum, Webmail, ADSL, FTTP, HFC, VoIP, or something else?

If I were to issue a similar vague outage notification for any plan work, our change management group would have rejected the change control form straight away. If such a notification actual sent out, the helpdesk would have been flooded with calls demanding more information so that the users can plan their work around it.