Wi-Fi Modem Problem

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)

Wi-Fi Modem Problem

Postby Ben D on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:01 am

My TP Link TD-W8950N modem has worked Wi-Fi flawlessly since setup a couple of years ago , but recently I had a situation where the 'Internet' light on the Modem would not light. I made the mistake of resetting the Modem and got myself into all sorts of trouble. With Tech Support (Indian Call Centre), I do not know if they did anything technically but I was able to get it going after I received an email from Exetel providing a Modem 'User Name' and Modem 'Password' for me to use.

I used the Modem 'Password' provided to initially get the modem working Wi-Fi with my computer as the 'Network Security Key'. However subsequently, I can't get any other computers, iPad, or Wi-Fi Printer to connect Wi-Fi using the same Modem 'Password' when prompted by Windows 10 Internet Access for the relevant TP Link network Modem to input the 'Network Security Key'.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciated it.
There is THAT which was not born, nor created, nor did it evolve, if this were not so, there would be no refuge from being born, being created, or evolving. THAT is the end of suffering, THAT is God*

* or if you prefer; Nirvana, Allah, Tao, Brahman, etc.
Ben D

Re: Wi-Fi Modem Problem

Postby Dazzled on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:57 am

Exetel helpdesk would have supplied your user name and password to log into Exetel's servers. They are filled into boxes in the config page. The router password is probably the default, "admin".

The router wireless security procedure is explained at http://www.tp-link.com.au/faq-877.html Yet another password or phrase.

It isn't just the password or key. The WPA encryption selected in the modem must also be used by the other devices. The postscript at the foot of the linked page mentions the option.

You may be able to check the existing config pages of the other devices on an ethernet cable or the tablet screen.

When all is working, use the router config save option to put a file copy onto your computer. If anything goes wrong again it can be restored.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Wi-Fi Modem Problem

Postby Ben D on Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:53 pm

Thank you Dazzled, I got to the http://192.168.1.1/ >>>>150Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router
Model No. TD-W8950N configuration and followed it through to the Wireless -- Security page as instructed. There I found WPS was enabled and set to PIN, with an 8 digit PIN number set. I copied the PIN number and used that as the 'Network Security Key' when using another computer and it connected ok. Happy days!

My sincere thanks, Ben.
There is THAT which was not born, nor created, nor did it evolve, if this were not so, there would be no refuge from being born, being created, or evolving. THAT is the end of suffering, THAT is God*

* or if you prefer; Nirvana, Allah, Tao, Brahman, etc.
Ben D

Return to Modem issues