Parental control on Exetel modem

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)

Parental control on Exetel modem

Postby maggie on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:45 pm

We've just got our NBN and so far very happy with it. I am still finding my way around the new modem that comes with the service. My previous adsl modem had a parental control area where I could block certain urls and also have times schedules for various household devices to be allowed to access the internet. I need this function to keep sanity in our home. Where can I find this on the new modem?
maggie

Re: Parental control on Exetel modem

Postby KavindaS on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:08 am

maggie wrote:We've just got our NBN and so far very happy with it. I am still finding my way around the new modem that comes with the service. My previous adsl modem had a parental control area where I could block certain urls and also have times schedules for various household devices to be allowed to access the internet. I need this function to keep sanity in our home. Where can I find this on the new modem?

Could you PM me the relevant service number? so I will check with the modem manufacturer support and confirm to you.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby Dazzled on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:10 am

I don't know if this is provided for either, but it is a router function, so if it becomes necessary you could consider bridging the new modem to the previous router.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby maggie on Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:47 pm

PM sent Kavinda
maggie

Postby KavindaS on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:26 pm

maggie wrote:PM sent Kavinda

PM received and i have checked with ZTE support to get the confirmation. The modem doesn't have the feature. There is filtering function available, but it may not suite to control internet access.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby James on Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:08 am

I do not believe this feature is available, you might want to consider using your old modem in bridge mode.
James
Exetel Staff

Postby maggie on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:44 am

James wrote:I do not believe this feature is available, you might want to consider using your old modem in bridge mode.

How do I do this?
maggie

Postby maggie on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:28 am

Would it not be easier to buy a modem with this capacity? What do I need to look for in a modem with the NBN connection? And voip as well.
maggie

Postby Dazzled on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:29 pm

You might have to look hard for a new device that has all the same features and VoIP.

Bridging on the other hand isn't difficult. It involves leaving the modem function of the new one intact (that is, the line analogue to digital internet conversion) and turning off all other functions. When you do this the device will no longer be accessible from your network. You feed its output as the input of the existing router which has all your desired features. Reconfigure this unit with the modem function disabled, but all the goodies unchanged.

There is a general article at http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/adsl_modem ... ridge_mode. The config pages for each device will be explained in their manuals.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby AroshJ on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:58 pm

maggie wrote:
James wrote:I do not believe this feature is available, you might want to consider using your old modem in bridge mode.

How do I do this?

Please refer below in order to get an idea about configuring the ZTE modem in bridge mode. However the device is ideally used for PPPoE Routing mode and feel free to contact us if
there are any further issues.

http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... ridge_Mode
AroshJ
Exetel Staff

Postby maggie on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:57 pm

Dazzled wrote:You might have to look hard for a new device that has all the same features and VoIP.

One of my previous modems was a voip modem. This one I think http://au.billion.com/bipac-7800vdpx Would this do or are there special requirements for NBN? Otherwise I will try the bridge system. Is this where you use 2 modems together? Or 2 routers?
maggie

Postby KavindaS on Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:21 am

maggie wrote:
Dazzled wrote:You might have to look hard for a new device that has all the same features and VoIP.

One of my previous modems was a voip modem. This one I think http://au.billion.com/bipac-7800vdpx Would this do or are there special requirements for NBN? Otherwise I will try the bridge system. Is this where you use 2 modems together? Or 2 routers?

Considering the Fibre service you have, Connect the two routers using a wired connection from ZTE any of port 1-4 in router to the WAN port of Billion. No special requirement from NBN.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Return to Modem issues