NAS on ZTE H268A

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
wreader

NAS on ZTE H268A

Post by wreader » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:54 pm

I got the free modem with my NBN plan only to find that a number of the features including the USB port of the modem have been disabled by Exetel. Nowhere does Exetel say these features are disabled.

Does anyone know how to enable the USB on this locked modem so that one can use an attached storage device?

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: NAS on ZTE H268A

Post by KavindaS » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:08 pm

wreader wrote:I got the free modem with my NBN plan only to find that a number of the features including the USB port of the modem have been disabled by Exetel. Nowhere does Exetel say these features are disabled.

Does anyone know how to enable the USB on this locked modem so that one can use an attached storage device?
USB feature has been locked by the modem vendor by default. Let me know the other features that you need to check, so I will question from ZTE and let you know.

wreader

Post by wreader » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:46 am

The ability to use the USB port for network attached HDD is all I need thanks. It would be appreciated if it could be unlocked on my modem.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:19 pm

wreader wrote:The ability to use the USB port for network attached HDD is all I need thanks. It would be appreciated if it could be unlocked on my modem.
We have checked this with ZTE support before and unfortunately it is not supported for the modem at the given cost.

petercook

Post by petercook » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:43 pm

Am I to assume that the usb print server feature also does not function? If by chance it does then some directions as to how it can be used would be appreciated.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:21 pm

petercook wrote:Am I to assume that the usb print server feature also does not function? If by chance it does then some directions as to how it can be used would be appreciated.
I have emailed ZTE support and I will update you once they have confirmed to me.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:32 pm

KavindaS wrote:
petercook wrote:Am I to assume that the usb print server feature also does not function? If by chance it does then some directions as to how it can be used would be appreciated.
I have emailed ZTE support and I will update you once they have confirmed to me.
ZTE have confirmed that, unfortunately this feature also not enabled with the modem we have provided.

sdevo

Post by sdevo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:59 pm

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13
Just connected NBN with ZTE H268A provided by Exetel All OK. A string of green lights.
I have attached a 3T WD Elements hard drive to the ZTE using the USB port on the side of the router.
Green USB light on front of router is on.
Logging into ZTE - USB devices page shows the Elements 25A1 and storage device, but no entry for view.
I have tried a older and smaller capacity storage drive, with same result.
How can i get the router to recognize the USB storage device, and let my Mac access this USB device?
Surely i must be able to use this feature!

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 pm

sdevo wrote:Mac OS High Sierra 10.13
Just connected NBN with ZTE H268A provided by Exetel All OK. A string of green lights.
I have attached a 3T WD Elements hard drive to the ZTE using the USB port on the side of the router.
Green USB light on front of router is on.
Logging into ZTE - USB devices page shows the Elements 25A1 and storage device, but no entry for view.
I have tried a older and smaller capacity storage drive, with same result.
How can i get the router to recognize the USB storage device, and let my Mac access this USB device?
Surely i must be able to use this feature!
By default USB port is disabled for the ZTE H268A modem provided by Exetel. :(

wreader

Post by wreader » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:23 pm

This is crazy. All other service provider modems allow connection to USB device why doesn't Exetel. There is no cost impost to ZTE for providing this feature on their modem.
Is there a software hack we can use to get use to get around this stupid restriction?

nilushid
Exetel Staff

Post by nilushid » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:51 pm

wreader wrote:This is crazy. All other service provider modems allow connection to USB device why doesn't Exetel. There is no cost impost to ZTE for providing this feature on their modem.
Is there a software hack we can use to get use to get around this stupid restriction?
We understand your frustration over this issue. Unfortunately, this port is disabled from the device manufacturer's end. We do not have any alternate method or workaround that we can suggest to enable the USB port for this ZTE modem

sdevo

Post by sdevo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:38 am

Very unsatisfactory.
I hope that Exetel negotiates the addition of this feature in the future.
I received my modem bundled with a NBN fibre package, however,
I certainly hope this feature is enabled when customers pay $99 plus $20 shipping for a modem, or its replacement.
I can't believe that this feature is disabled in a modem quoted as valued at $160-00.
Disappointed.

rehanj
Exetel Staff

Post by rehanj » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:28 pm

sdevo wrote:Very unsatisfactory.
I hope that Exetel negotiates the addition of this feature in the future.
I received my modem bundled with a NBN fibre package, however,
I certainly hope this feature is enabled when customers pay $99 plus $20 shipping for a modem, or its replacement.
I can't believe that this feature is disabled in a modem quoted as valued at $160-00.
Disappointed.
We can understand your frustration and disappointment in this situation, we appreciate your feedback greatly and your thoughts and concerns will be forwarded to the Exetel Management for review. At this stage, unfortunately, we are unable to provide you with a workaround to get the Disabled USB port on the ZTE H268A modem working.

TomNBNCutoverIssue

Post by TomNBNCutoverIssue » Fri May 04, 2018 5:20 pm

Hi - I am looking for some advice:

I have read the previous posts on this thread, and my problem is as already described; I had a NAS attached to my old modem router via the USB port, and now with my new ZTE (ZTE ZXHN H268A Home Gateway) I cannot do that as the USB port is disabled.

My old device is a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router (DGND3700v2).

My aim is to get access to my NAS, while retaining the new NBN connection (including VOIP) noting that the Netgear device does not support VOIP/does not have a phone port. I suppose I could just buy a new device, but that seems wasteful;
So, using only the equipment I have, I tried connecting the Netgear device as a subservient unit to the ZTE modem by running an ethernet cable from the ZTE WAN port to the Netgear device - first to an ethernet port but that did not work, then to the 'Cable/Fibre' (grey coloured) port which sort of worked - the Netgear modem is registered in the ZTE DMZ, and my NAS is plugged into the netgear USB port.
If I now connect my computer to the Netgear router by ethernet or (Netgear router) wifi, I can see the usb connected NAS, I can log into Netgear router interface, but I cannot connect to the net and I cannot connect to the ZTE gateway interface.

Is there anyway to make this setup, or these devices, work to achieve my aim of accessing my NAS, and retaining the new NBN connection (including VOIP) ? or am I going to have to bight the bullet and buy a new gateway device?

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice.
Tom.

KrishanK
Exetel Staff

Post by KrishanK » Fri May 04, 2018 6:07 pm

TomNBNCutoverIssue wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:20 pm
Hi - I am looking for some advice:

Is there anyway to make this setup, or these devices, work to achieve my aim of accessing my NAS, and retaining the new NBN connection (including VOIP) ? or am I going to have to bight the bullet and buy a new gateway device?

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice.
Tom.
Hi Tom,

Unfortunately the given modem model of ZTE H268A is not compatible to use NAS as the USB Port in that is not functioning even though it is manufactured with a physical port, as we already mentioned.

However as a resolution for this and some more technical factors, now we wish to inform you that Exetel is now providing a different modem is manufactured by Netcomm and the model is NF18ACV.

Feel free to find more information about this product on the user manual of it: https://www.netcommwireless.com/sites/d ... -guide.pdf