ZTE H268A DHCP Binding

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
ian937

ZTE H268A DHCP Binding

Post by ian937 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:34 am

I'm having trouble trying to setup statically bound IP addresses for some of my devices on my ZTE H268A modem.
When I first got the modem, I added a static binding for my PC, but the DHCP server ignores this setting and always gives my PC an address from it's dynamic address pool.
Now I'm trying to add a second binding for another device and can't even get the modem to save the settings - no matter what I enter, when I click Save, I get the message "Current operation is invalid, please check configuration parameters."

I've used the mac address of the device, as listed in the DHCP leases. I've also tried using the same MAC address as my PC, but changed the last digit. It The IP address is valid - it's outside the range of the DHCP dynamic pool, but still on the subnet. I tried some other valid IP addresses too, but still the same error.
The name is also valid (pi3, though again, I've tried a few different things but still get the same error when saving).

The modem's firmware is V1.0.1_ETL.1T7
There seems to be a big lack of information about this modem other than on this forum, so hoping someone here can help - though it looks very much like a firmware bug to me!

IsuruB
Exetel Staff

Re: ZTE H268A DHCP Binding

Post by IsuruB » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:18 pm

ian937 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:34 am
I'm having trouble trying to setup statically bound IP addresses for some of my devices on my ZTE H268A modem.
When I first got the modem, I added a static binding for my PC, but the DHCP server ignores this setting and always gives my PC an address from it's dynamic address pool.
Now I'm trying to add a second binding for another device and can't even get the modem to save the settings - no matter what I enter, when I click Save, I get the message "Current operation is invalid, please check configuration parameters."

I've used the mac address of the device, as listed in the DHCP leases. I've also tried using the same MAC address as my PC, but changed the last digit. It The IP address is valid - it's outside the range of the DHCP dynamic pool, but still on the subnet. I tried some other valid IP addresses too, but still the same error.
The name is also valid (pi3, though again, I've tried a few different things but still get the same error when saving).

The modem's firmware is V1.0.1_ETL.1T7
There seems to be a big lack of information about this modem other than on this forum, so hoping someone here can help - though it looks very much like a firmware bug to me!
Thanks for reaching out. Can you please provide us with screenshots showing the error you are receiving, as well as the DHCP bindings you are trying to set? Please also Inbox PM your service number or customer ID, or alternatively you can email this information through to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au.
Please also double check the manual here for further reference - http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/images/3/3 ... ch2017.pdf

ian937

Post by ian937 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:21 pm

Here's a screenshot showing the binding I'm trying to add & the error message I get.

You can also see my dhcp address range and the existing binding I have for "bigblack2" on 192.168.1.20, which is being ignored by the dhcp server - it's still allocating a dynamic address.

You can also see that there is a dhcp lease for the same MAC address as "bigblack2" because the static binding for that MAC address is being ignored by the DHCP server. Here is the output of ip addr on that machine, just to prove that it's still bgetting a dynamic address:
bigblack2>ip addr
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master br0 state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether e0:d5:5e:47:8f:34 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: br0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether e0:d5:5e:47:8f:34 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.1.52/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global br0
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
So even if I could save the binding for the other MAC address (for pi3), presumably it would be ignored and the pi would get a dynamic address anyway!
dhcp_binding.jpeg
dhcp_binding.jpeg (92.8 KiB) Viewed 96 times

ayeshf
Exetel Staff

Post by ayeshf » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:31 am

Thanks for the update. Can you please try binding an IP address that is within the current DHCP range (192.168.1.50-192.168.1.254) and advise whether the same issue is still present

ian937

Post by ian937 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:10 pm

Ok, that worked! I was sure I'd tried allocating an address in the DHCP range but apparently not.
I should have remebered that isc-dhcpd (as used by Linux & FreeBSD) works this way, but both pfsense and my old ADSL router do the opposite - you have to specify an ip outside of the dynamic range for any static mappings.

Oh well, thanks for pointing me in the right direction :-)