EXetel, ZTE and Google Nest

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
patrick66

EXetel, ZTE and Google Nest

Post by patrick66 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:32 am

Hi - I bought google wifi/nest router to enable better control of children's devices. Nest connects to the ethernet port on the ZTE mode and works fine. Until it goes offline for no reason it seems. Eventually, Google said it is a double NAT issue and I needed to put the modem in bridge mode. But this means I can't use the landline on the VOIP port of the modem. Anyone have any experience or knowledge on how to get Google nest router and the ZTE modem working together without putting in bridge mode. There is a NAT off/on switch on the Ethernet settings - can I turn that off to avoid double NAT issues - thanks

KavindaS
Exetel Staff

Re: EXetel, ZTE and Google Nest

Post by KavindaS » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:05 pm

patrick66 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:32 am
Hi - I bought google wifi/nest router to enable better control of children's devices. Nest connects to the ethernet port on the ZTE mode and works fine. Until it goes offline for no reason it seems. Eventually, Google said it is a double NAT issue and I needed to put the modem in bridge mode. But this means I can't use the landline on the VOIP port of the modem. Anyone have any experience or knowledge on how to get Google nest router and the ZTE modem working together without putting in bridge mode. There is a NAT off/on switch on the Ethernet settings - can I turn that off to avoid double NAT issues - thanks
Having the modem in the bridge mode will not have the VOIP in working condition. NAT has to be on in the settings to have a working service. Unfortunately, parental control is still not available in the modem. Only IP filtering feature is available. You can bind a MAC to a specific Ip address.

damon

Post by damon » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:24 pm

Hi Patrick,

Your google nest wifi will connect to the ISP without the need for the ZTE modem.
You then plug the ZTE modem into the Google Nest Wifi via the Ethernet connection.
Disable the DHCP server on the ZTE
Assign a static IP for the ZTE in the Google Nest WIFI app and set up the port forwarding as well.
Worth a try

thanks
damon

Caspa11

Post by Caspa11 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:57 pm

Hi Damon,

Can you please elaborate?
I have confugured my Google Nest Wifi to plug into the ZTE LAN1 Port and works OK so far but would much prefer to plug direct into the NBN box if possible and do away with the ZTE.
Thanks
PC