ZTE Upgrade

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
geoffyboy

ZTE Upgrade

Post by geoffyboy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:55 pm

Hi.
I recently had to replace my mums netcomm mode/router to the ZTE268A supplied by exetel as the old modem developed a voip issue that resets could not fix.

First thing I selected preconfigured so mum could just plug it in and be up and running.

Well It wasn't and I had to drive an hour midweek to her place to enter all the missing info, in the end calling exetel to get them to access the modem and set it up.

That was a real pain. I would love to know who's job it is to preconfigure these things as they are not doing their job.

Rant over...

Now I am at a point where her swann security cameras are now only available on her local network. They were accessible away from her home with the old modem. No port forwarding or setting changes needed.

Does the ZTE do something different to the Netcomm?
And frustratingly I cant get remote access to her modem to change anything or check from my place like I used to with the netcomm.

I couldn't see any setting page for remote access permissions other than the TR-069 page.

Does the ZTE have that option?

As much as I love visiting mum I don't want to make another midweek trip down there to get her cameras up and working for her when she isn't home.

Any help would be amazing..
Cheers.
Geoff

Dilankaw
Exetel Staff

Re: ZTE Upgrade

Post by Dilankaw » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:28 pm

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for reaching out. Please be advised ZTE modem does not have remote access due to security reasons.
Also, note that the ZTE modem doesn't block any ports as well. therefore please make sure to configure port forwarding correctly.

Thank you!

geoffyboy

Re: ZTE Upgrade

Post by geoffyboy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:02 pm

Well that's disappointing. I wouldn't have ordered it if I had of known that.

And as for the no port blocking, there must be something going on as I've never had to port forward before to get the Swann cameras to be accessible from outside the local network with the other modem.

Looks like I made a mistake in buying a modem of exetel.