H268A: error reporting bytes received/sent & exetel usage data

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
eighth

H268A: error reporting bytes received/sent & exetel usage data

Post by eighth » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:59 pm

Hello,

Over the last few months I've noticed a huge discrepancy between the data I know I'm uploading/downloading and what Exetel says I'm consuming. I've audited my wired and wireless connections and come up with a combined figure that tells me I use between 40% and 50% of what Exetel is billing me for.

I'd be grateful if someone can point me to a way to get meaningful data out of the H268A router. I'm on a HFC connection so all traffic goes through its ethernet WAN port:

That seems to be telling me that in the last 6 days I've used less than 4 gigabytes in traffic, which is so wrong it prompted me to ask for help here. I did more than that yesterday.

I have another old router in storage somewhere that I'll hook up tomorrow to see if it has worthwhile logs. The question that's making me paranoid is: could Exetel be inflating my usage in an effort to nudge me onto a more profitable plan?

Any help is appreciated.

nilushid
Admin

Re: H268A: error reporting bytes received/sent & exetel usage data

Post by nilushid » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:04 am

eighth wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:59 pm
Hello,

Over the last few months I've noticed a huge discrepancy between the data I know I'm uploading/downloading and what Exetel says I'm consuming. I've audited my wired and wireless connections and come up with a combined figure that tells me I use between 40% and 50% of what Exetel is billing me for.

I'd be grateful if someone can point me to a way to get meaningful data out of the H268A router. I'm on a HFC connection so all traffic goes through its ethernet WAN port:

That seems to be telling me that in the last 6 days I've used less than 4 gigabytes in traffic, which is so wrong it prompted me to ask for help here. I did more than that yesterday.

I have another old router in storage somewhere that I'll hook up tomorrow to see if it has worthwhile logs. The question that's making me paranoid is: could Exetel be inflating my usage in an effort to nudge me onto a more profitable plan?

Any help is appreciated.
Hi

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Usage is calculated automatically by our usage meter and this is the same for all our customers. However, we can request our developers to check your usage and get back to us. Therefore, can you kindly PM me your customer ID or the service number to investigate this further?

Thanks

Kaja Pavalanathan
Exetel Staff

Post by Kaja Pavalanathan » Sun May 02, 2021 4:42 pm

Hi,

Good evening to you.
We have requested our developers to check your usage inquiry and We will be in touch with you via email.
An email has been sent to the nominated email address on your account under reference Case-860182 with information related to your inquiry.

Thank you!

eighth

Post by eighth » Fri May 14, 2021 10:11 pm

I got this response yesterday:
Our development team has advised that there is no additional usage added to your usage logs.

They have also advised that your Usage records are not incorrect.
... and since the h268a has no way to accurately monitor traffic that would seem to be the end of the matter, even though I can see a big discrepancy between what I know I'm consuming and exetel's tally. I was going to leave it there, but just now I got:
We are waiting to hear from you regarding feedback or information about a recent service fault you have raised with us. This information is vital for us to be able to fix your service issue.
... ok. Here's a snapshot of uploads/downloads through the modem's WAN status page I took yesterday:

which says I consumed less than 5 gigabytes in 12 days, which is very wrong. Since this topic was meant to be about modem issues, the feedback can be that the h268a's firmware isn't very helpful. In fact the only other forum post I've made in the last few years was a complaint about how VoIP logs were removed during the latest firmware update for "security" reasons. All I got was an apology rather than a fix, which I expect will be the case here too.