Which wireless NIC work with Netcomm?

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
terryc

Which wireless NIC work with Netcomm?

Post by terryc » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:25 pm

I have recently purchased a Netcomm NMB6plus4W and would like to get the wireless part working, but I am having trouble getting any client to connect.

Actually, it is a clinet, an old Toshiba laptop running Win98. It isn't the laptop itself that is the problem as it has successfully connected to a Cisco 340 and more recently next foors Netgear WAP during my extended downtime this week.

I have tried both a netgear and a Dlink nic. No success on the netgear, with slow success on the Dlink. Actually, theDlink was faster than the netgear cardto the netgear router next door.

So I am wonder what wireless NICs people have working with their Netcomm WAP/dsl router and how well they work.

P.s not distance or interferrece problem.

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:06 pm

I think this is an issue with the fact that its an old machine running Win98, which i may add is no longer supported via any sort of updates via m$, with very limited driver support regardless of what you say have already worked in the past.
What i might suggest with that laptop is to use a wireless Ethernet bridge, like a Linksys WET54G, that way then you can impose WPA on the WiFi.

terryc

Post by terryc » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:57 pm

[quote="Spanner_Man"]I think this is an issue with the fact that its an old machine running Win98, which i may add is no longer supported via any sort of updates via m$, with very limited driver support regardless of what you say have already worked in the past.
What i might suggest with that laptop is to use a wireless Ethernet bridge, like a Linksys WET54G, that way then you can impose WPA on the WiFi.[/quote]

Not an option. Wireless is nice, but really just a toy. I am not about buying any new WAP and decisions are not made on what MS supports.

The PCMCIA wireless nics came with Win98 drivers and they work to two other WAPS. I also have two older lappies that run win98 and are useful soley for sickbed or immobility around here, or to return a favour to the neighbour.

At best, I'll buy another brand NIC for a few dollars, which is why I am asking people what brand nics work with their netcomm WAPS.

And the lappies remain at win98 because, well, they play the games I like {:-).

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:32 pm

terryc wrote:Not an option. Wireless is nice, but really just a toy. I am not about buying any new WAP and decisions are not made on what MS supports.
I wasn't talking about a WAP, if you bothered to look at what i posted before and used google you would see that it isn't a WAP (Wireless Access Point) but an Wireless Ethernet Bridge
terryc wrote:and the lappies remain at win98 because, well, they play the games I like {:-).
Perhaps talking a look at DosBox.
Its how Steam provides those older games, and how i have alot of other people playing their older games on WinXP/Vista/*nix

terryc

Post by terryc » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:03 am

[quote="Spanner_Man"][quote="terryc"]Not an option. Wireless is nice, but really just a toy. I am not about buying any new WAP and decisions are not made on what MS supports.[/quote]I wasn't talking about a WAP, if you bothered to look at what i posted before and used google you would see that it isn't a WAP (Wireless Access Point) but an Wireless Ethernet Bridge[/quote]

I didn't need to look no matter what label you give it. It is wasting money on another piece of hardware.

[quote]
[quote="terryc"]and the lappies remain at win98 because, well, they play the games I like {:-).[/quote]Perhaps talking a look at [url=http://www.dosbox.com/]DosBox[/url].
Its how Steam provides those older games, and how i have alot of other people playing their older games on WinXP/Vista/*nix[/quote]

You really do have trouble following the gist of an what s being said. I am not interested in buying new hardware. Nor am I interested in loading another peice of software on the lappie. It works just fine. It does what i want it to do just fine.

What isn't working nicely is the netcomm NB6+4w. It seems to have problem working with various brand NICs. It also has a routing problem with wireless clients

Now obviously you do not have anything helpful to contribute, unless of course, as originally asked, you'd like to tell me what wireless NICs you use with a NB6+4W.

outbush

Post by outbush » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:24 pm

terryc wrote: I didn't need to look no matter what label you give it. It is wasting money on another piece of hardware.
You have already wasted money on the NB6, because of not finding out if its wireless was compatible with your 'Lappies' , so I think you better just bite the bullet, do away with the NB6 and get a router/modem that is wireless compatible.
terryc wrote:What isn't working nicely is the netcomm NB6+4w. It seems to have problem working with various brand NICs. It also has a routing problem with wireless clients
As I said above, if your not happy change it.
Try some networking forums, they might have some advice.
terryc wrote:Now obviously you do not have anything helpful to contribute, .....
Well I think if you are going to criticize users suggestions no more will come forward with possiblities.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:18 pm

terryc wrote:What isn't working nicely is the netcomm NB6+4w. It seems to have problem working with various brand NICs. It also has a routing problem with wireless clients
All wireless NICs should work perfectly with all wireless modems. So long as the modem is configured with a known protocol (801.11a/b/g), SSID and channel, you should be able to install and configure the drivers of the wireless NIC to connect without a hitch.

If you are having problems, it is likely that either:
* you have not configured wireless properly (in which case, you should downgrade the protocol to 801.11b, change the channel number, remove any encryption and move the laptops close to the wireless modem/router); or
* you have a faulty NB6+4W (you should try connecting using a computer that is known to work properly, ideally an XP machine not a Win98 machine, or you can also try a firmware update / modem hard reset)

terryc

Post by terryc » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:27 pm

I am beginning to suspect that the NB6 is faulty. It worked fine yesterday to a Dlink with shared key and wep, but declined to work on wireless today. Yes, I went through the process of building up the different levels strp by step to find any faults.

It also had problems in DNS for internal cleints. It picks up the DNS servers correctly from extel, but gets confused over port forwarding it back. My web server is internal, so if an internal machine request the webserver (default home page) it actually gets served the configuration page login for the NB6. I am awaiting a reply from Netcomm on this.

It is already the latest firmware.

It also played up last Sunday with picking up the exetel gateway. It seemed to flip over four different ones ntil it settled down.

terryc

Post by terryc » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Thanks Corey, turned out o be channel chatter. Both the netgear and dlink are working fine.

Things were simpler when it was wavelans and early days. Now there is so much other crap around operating in these bands.

Kinda of funny when about four years ago I could get an 8km line of sight connection back to an external antenna. Wonder what I could manage today.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:12 pm

terryc wrote:Kinda of funny when about four years ago I could get an 8km line of sight connection back to an external antenna. Wonder what I could manage today.
There are freely available wireless boosters available for better coverage of households. There should also still be some good external antennas available that boost the wireless signal strength. I've even seen articles about homemade antennas (though I probably woudln't encourage this) that extended reach out well past 2km.

I also know of someone who needed to set up temporary internet in an adjacent office building because of relocation. The result was trying to point a directional antenna (without the benefit of windows) in the right vicinity and pick up a signal with a receiving router. In the end it worked pretty well.

antenna