D-Link 604T

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
bjay

D-Link 604T

Post by bjay » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:11 pm

Am considering churning across from Optus Broadband to Exetel and need to know if there are any issues relating to the use of D-Link 604T and a telephone line connection with Telstra. Tech support and other comments welcome asap as I have to consider within the next two weeks.......well thats the plan anyway!!! Thanks folks.

CLoSeR

Re: D-Link 604T

Post by CLoSeR » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:59 pm

bjay wrote:Am considering churning across from Optus Broadband to Exetel and need to know if there are any issues relating to the use of D-Link 604T and a telephone line connection with Telstra. Tech support and other comments welcome asap as I have to consider within the next two weeks.......well thats the plan anyway!!! Thanks folks.
No, if your modem is working now theres no reason why It wouldnt work with Exetel.

Although, I must say im not a big fan of this particular modem.
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

bjay

Post by bjay » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:00 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I am curious with:

"Although, I must say im not a big fan of this particular modem"

Are there issues with this modem or have you had a run of misfortune???

Cheers
BJ

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:51 pm

Dlink have made a few modems which havent had the best track record. A friend of mine had which kept resetting itself and dropping all settings.

If yours is working fine, then thats good. Lets hope it stays that way.

Regards,

CLoSeR
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:02 pm

Many users experience problems with DLink brand modems. I am of the same opinion as Closer and I would never recommend DLink modems to anybody. They tend to exhibit many more random issues and are also not as reliable under P2P usage compared to other brands of modem like Billions and Netcomms for instance

However, you can go ahead and retain your DLink for use with Exetel. It is just that if you start noticing random issues with drop outs, poor wireless connectivity, or general incorrect behaviour your first suspicion should be directed at the DLink and you should borrow a different modem to test whether those symptoms persist.

bjay

Post by bjay » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:44 pm

Thanks all for the feedback, much appreciated. Will keep that info in mind as things move ahead.

Cheers,
BJ

Reagle

Post by Reagle » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:07 pm

Currently using that modem myself with no problems at all through Exetel. Started out with a Netcomm NB1300 & went to the D-Link when I wanted the wireless. If any issues just make sure you have upgraded to the latest firmware.
Using: Netcomm NF10WV + TP-Link Archer C2

bjay

Post by bjay » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:35 pm

Hey Reagle,

Thanks for the extra info, not expecting any issues but handy to get the feedback. Am planning to contact exetel this week and start the changeover. Will be changing the partners setup in Sydney too from Optus to Exetel.

Cheers,
BJ

ciscokid

DLINK 604t

Post by ciscokid » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:31 pm

I have literally sold hundreds of these modems.

To this day I have never had one come back with any issues. they are dead simple to setup and configure. I found the standard antenna on this model seems to transmit further than some competitors do.

I also sell netgear modems and linksys and have had no end of trouble with the netgear ones so I have stopped doing them at the moment.
The linksys are great as well.

Link most things weather it's top of the range equipment or comes highly recommended there will always be somebody that cops a dud one it's bound to happen.

Also personal preference when you buy a good product and have a good run you always seem to stick with that brand.

A few years ago now I purchased a video card for a customer as it was highly recommended by his mates and when he got it the card was a real dud.

Go with your gut feeling, read everyone's reviews and experiences then make an informed decision.

roby

Post by roby » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:44 am

I have one of these modems works perfectly for me on exetel no problems

TijN

Post by TijN » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:21 pm

604T is the modem that put me off Dlink forever... the worst modem in the world.

My dlink 604T would just do wierd stuff all the time. like die EVERY 2-3 days and id have to reset it. for a while i just thought it was normal for all ADSL users. now that i dont have a Dlink the ADSL has never been better.

satyr

Post by satyr » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:09 am

I have a 604T. Had it since my days at Chariot with ADSL.

Am experiencing frustrating sync issues, but I believe that may have something to do with my connection to the exchange and or ISP's modems at the exchange.

Otherwise Modem is fine.

felix

Post by felix » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:46 am

I just replaced my 604T with a Belkin. Had it about 15months and i had random troubles with it, many related to sync/authorisation. Finally it started spewing squelch down the phone line so I replaced it.

THe belkin had about the same RRP so I was happy and I like belkin gear.

satyr

Post by satyr » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:12 pm

felix wrote:I just replaced my 604T with a Belkin. Had it about 15months and i had random troubles with it, many related to sync/authorisation. Finally it started spewing squelch down the phone line so I replaced it.

THe belkin had about the same RRP so I was happy and I like belkin gear.
Regarding my sync issues mentioned above, see http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 56#p218435. Problem may have been resolved.

--
<insert witty comment>Huh!?? :? </insert witty comment>

unclekenz

Post by unclekenz » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:00 pm

:D Hi ALL,
I'm considering changing from ADSL1 to ADSL2 at Exetel.
Specifically concerning difficulties reported here by users of the D-Link 604T modem, might these difficulties be discernably more prevalent under ADSL2, not ADSL1 :?: TIA.
Cheers. Ken