D-Link 604T

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: D-Link 604T

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:30 pm

unclekenz wrote:might these difficulties be discernably more prevalent under ADSL2, not ADSL1
No. If there are issues with the DLink 604T they will manifest in similar ways regardless of modulation. I suspect most of these issues have been dealt with in the Generation II model of the DLink.

unclekenz

Post by unclekenz » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:54 pm

Hi, thanks for the info reply re D-Link 604T under ADSL2 v ADSL1.
I believe my modem is 1st Generation, the box states H/W Ver: A3 F/W Ver: V1.00B06.AU.
To date, no firmware upgrade has been carried out.
The modem has been connected for only 1 day, no glitches so far, clearly a longer use will help determine its reliability etc.
:idea: Meanwhile, does anyone have an opinion whether or not a firmware upgrade for this 1st Gen modem would achieve a
near or equivalent outcome in terms of bug fixes/reliability that I assume the 2nd Generation offers :?: TIA.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:34 pm

unclekenz wrote:Meanwhile, does anyone have an opinion whether or not a firmware upgrade for this 1st Gen modem would achieve a
near or equivalent outcome in terms of bug fixes/reliability that I assume the 2nd Generation offers :?: TIA.
I am fairly sure the answer is no.

The Generation II models were released to address the many bugs that the Generation I models had. Sites like http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/hardware/ ... del_id=192 even show that some features (like QoS, SPI firewall, WPA2 wireless encryption, etc) are only available on Generation II models.

However, if your G604T performed well under ADSL1 then I see no reason why it wouldn't perform the same under ADSL2+. If necessary, you can force the modulation of the ADSL connection to "G.DMT". This forces a standard ADSL1 connection and will still sync at up to 8Mbps. So this gives you a faster and more cost-efficient ADSL2+ connection while still retaining ADSL1 characteristics.

TijN

Post by TijN » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:09 pm

i used to have a D-link 604T had many problems with my internet which i always blamed exetel for.

then oneday i got a new modem NOT a D-LINK and never had any issues since.

don't buy a d-link. and i mean that. ever.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:09 am

TijN wrote:don't buy a d-link. and i mean that. ever.
I used to think this way about the Gen I models too. But the Gen II models seem to perform OK now. However, I still agree: NetComm, Billion or Dynalink are preferable for me.

neogeo

Post by neogeo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:24 pm

I have 2 of these modems, a generation II model (revision 3), and an older revision A model, the one that stands vertically instead of laying horizontal and I got to say the new one is the worst piece of sh*t I have ever seen.

Resets at random, drops settings like port forwarding and LAN IP settings, can't handle torrents, the list goes on..... On the other hand the old one is a dream, goes for weeks without any problems and very rarely needs to be rebooted. Never fails when downloading from P2P.

I recommmend anyone to stay well clear of the newer DLINK modems and routers.

TijN

Post by TijN » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:29 am

yeah exactly the same problems i had with it. This Dlink Model is really really bad, i'm not sure about other Dlink modems but this one made me never by another dlink again.

skyrider

Post by skyrider » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:14 pm

mine always drops settings EVEN after i save and reboot... quite dissapointing...
im having sync issues but not sure whos fault that is yet.

lovs2look

Post by lovs2look » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:11 pm

I have one and it works just fine...has done for about 6 months.
I actually bought it to replace a Netcomm that was suspect...just wondering if I made a wise decision there...Hmm.

teemac

Post by teemac » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:58 pm

I'm an old guy, so I started on Internet communications in the mid 70's with various BBS systems until late 80's, then along came Telecom's Discovery dial-up.

In late 1999 I changed to Optus dial-up. This lasted until Broadband became available in our area by Optusnet in late 2003.

I stayed with Optusnet until Feb 2007 when I changed to Exetel Broadband - best move I ever made :D

Currently I am an IT tech at our small country computer store and Help Desk person for a small ISP in our area.

Of the thousands of Modems, Network Switches and Routers we have sold, I have found D-Link provides the most reliable and easiest to setup products. Other products we sell such as Netcomm & Linksys etc incur many hours a week for our support staff with frustrated customers - they are good products, but a bugger to keep running. Those of my friends and clients who use D-Link products also seem to have next to no problems with them compared to other brands.

My current system at home is a water cooled overclocked Q6600 through a D-Link DSL-G604T. I also have 2x i7's and 2x Q6600's at the other end of the building connected to the 604T with D-Link DES-1008D Fast Ethernet Switch. In my lounge room is an E8400 based Media Centre connecting with a D-Link DGS 1005G Switch to the 604T. Connected through the 1005G switch is a D-Link NAS DNS-323 twin drive storage unit. There are also 2 laptops in the house connecting wirelessly to the 604T. All machines use Linux 32bit/64bit versions of one type or another except the media centre which is WinXP.

When I originally signed up to Optusnet in 2003 I used the Optus supplied D-Link DSL-302G before changing to the 604T a couple of months after signing up with Exetel. The old Optus supplied D-Link DSL-302g is currently still working at a friends place 6 years after it was first initialised.

The only small problem I have experienced with the 604T was when Port Forwarding settings dropped out - this has happened twice in 2 years after the local power substation down the road exploded. It only took 5 minutes to put Port Forwarding settings back in.

I have never had to return a D-Link product owned by myself or a client owned product through the shop where I work because of faults in the product. I often wonder how D-Link makes any money - I have a dozen or so of their products sitting around the house, not because they are faulty - just because they wouldn't die and I retired them wanting bigger/better/newer stuff.

D-Link products in my experience cannot be recommended highly enough for their quality and ease of use.

** I do not work for, nor am associated in any way with, nor do I get any commission etc from D-Link products. **

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:13 pm

Wow teemac - I have spent years doing heavy duty mathematical computing for the physical sciences, and have never had such toys on the desktop (mind you, for array processing and multi-dimensioned FFTs, a Core 2 Duo, with 64 bit Linux and a good threaded Fortran95 compiler can thrash anything except a similar box with 4 cores). I am always astounded when gamers have these things. What do you do with it?

rocknrolla007

Post by rocknrolla007 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:54 pm

Ok I have just upgraded to ADSL 2 connection with this modem... What changes do I have to make in the modem/router set up? Thanks

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:39 pm

rocknrolla007 wrote:Ok I have just upgraded to ADSL 2 connection with this modem... What changes do I have to make in the modem/router set up? Thanks
By default, nothing, because the modem uses Multimode modulation type. But if you find the sync speed is limited to 8Mbps and the upspeed to 384kbps, then you should look under the Advanced tab, ADSL configuration and double check modulation type is indeed set to Mutlimode

rocknrolla007

Post by rocknrolla007 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:08 am

Oh ok thanks.. I just checked, it is set to Multimode..should work fine then :)

colio

Post by colio » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:17 pm

So I just bought a Dlink 604T on Friday - its revision 3 I think... latest model. I was really impressed at how easy it was to set up as my last modem/router was a 3 year old Billion where everything had to be set up manually.

But that is where my good feelings about this modem ended. I have been using it for just over a day & I cannot wait until Monday to disconnect the thing & take it back to the shop & hopefully get an exchange to a different model.

Seriously BAD connection speeds especially on wireless. It's sooo slow. I had no idea about this modem.. I should've done my research instead of stepping into the shop & buying one that looked ok & priced well.

Bummed & frustrated.

Oh well, live & learn..