NB6plus4W weak signal

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
bigflytiger

NB6plus4W weak signal

Post by bigflytiger » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:21 pm

I got a new NB6plus4W. I am happy about the ADSL speed. It increased about 16% compared with my old NB5plus4. but I am having problem to receive signal if I use my laptop in next room.
I have tried to change diffrent Channel via wireless basic setting. It didnt make any difference.
is anyone having similar problem? or knowing any way to boost the signal via manipulate the NB6plus4W setting? I would love to know any good solution. thanks :D :wink:

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: NB6plus4W weak signal

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:55 pm

bigflytiger wrote:is anyone having similar problem? or knowing any way to boost the signal via manipulate the NB6plus4W setting? I would love to know any good solution. thanks :D :wink:
Hi-gain antennas aren't an option for the NB6Plus4W as the antenna is non-removable, but you can try a wireless repeater.

Perhaps just try to remove any external source of interference. For example, a AC transformer or cordless phone placed atop or near the wireless antenna can seriously affect the signal.

You can also try rotating and orientating the direction of the antenna. The signal spreads out in a torus (picture a 50m radius doughnut with the hole place through the antenna) so make sure the antenna is pointing upwards or sidewards and not towards the direction you wish to transmit.

bigflytiger

Post by bigflytiger » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:28 pm

believe or not , the big mirror on the wall which is between the modem and my laptop causing the problem.
moving the mirror away ,it resovle the weak signal problem :roll: :lol: :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol:
Glass mirrors are most often coated with non-toxic silver or aluminium

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:22 pm

You know, I actually saw that suggestion (mirrors affecting reception) listed on one of the pages I browsed but thought to myself "Nah, that wouldn't be a useful thing to post"

Here is another intuitive one when you think about it: Flyscreen doors. The nature of flywire (metal mesh) it is designed to absorb electromagnetic signals (picture the scene in Enemy of the State where Gene Hackman's character resides in a metal cage to prevent stray electromagnetic signals alerting authorities to his presence)

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:49 pm

Reminds me of a research establishment I was once involved with. There was a windowless workshop for calibrating instruments, where the bare brickwork and the floor and ceiling slabs were completely lined with fine steel mesh, all earthed to a long copper faced rod. This was plastered over and the floor topped. Then the walls and ceiling were lined with foil, and the floor got a conductive operating theatre finish. The doors and frames were steel. The power supply had a fearsome array of filters, and it was in all metal fittings. No, you couldn't get wireless in there either.