NB64W resets if you try connect wireless device

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
squeakytown

NB64W resets if you try connect wireless device

Post by squeakytown » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:24 pm

I just purchased a backup NB64W thru exetel and while ethernet connects fine, if I attempt to connect using a handheld wireless device the modem power light goes red and the modem self resets.
I then have to unplug the modem and reset again to gain ethernet access back on the modem.

My original modem is also a nb64w and works fine with wthernet and 4 wireless devices attached.

I have found that after reseting modem and connecting via ehternet OK, if I then unplug ethernet and try to get a laptop to go wireless, the PC does log on successfully to modem but wirelss is reported by XP as 'Limited or no connectivity' - no internet or modem access works. Plugging ethernet backin (wait for XP to acquire address) then allows modem and internet access back.

Tried a different NB6W4 powersupply but get the same issue.

Sounds like the wirelss part of the new modem is stuffed?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: NB64W resets if you try connect wireless device

Post by Dazzled » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:47 pm

Do you mean NB6+4W? Is the config identical to the old unit? See also http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892896

squeakytown

Post by squeakytown » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:56 pm

Yes - I was just abbreviating the name - its a NB6Plus4W.

The wireless power issue occurs with apple products (ipod touches) and the wireless failing to connect to the internet occurs for both XP and Mac computers.

The settings are the same but as the new modem (not working) is 2 weeks old its on a more recent firmware.
I am really assuming this is a modem issue as why else would a modem have a power issue and self reset when a wireless device attempts to connect?

squeakytown

Post by squeakytown » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:26 pm

I have played with the security settings and have got wireless working with PC/Mac computers - changing the wep setting to 64 and back to 128 fix XP?

So I am only faced with the original issue.

For the same Ipod touche, if I attempt to connect to the new modem the modem will reset its self (power light goes red and all lights go off and the start sequence proceeds).
The other NB6Plus4W modem does not have this issue and connects fine.

Yes the one working is on an older firmware.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:59 pm

What happens if you change wireless channels? Use numbers under 11.
Edit: Get it working without security first.

squeakytown

Post by squeakytown » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:16 pm

Thanks - any suggestion is appreciated.

Changing channels didn't help.
Turning security off allowed the touch to connect and use the internet without causing the modem to crash.

Further testing has proved this issue with the NB6Plus4w (firmware 3.64y) and Apple hardware if you use wireless with WEP security (64 or 128).
The modem will crash if I connect to a secured network using an apple touch (v3 software) or apple mac (10.4).

My older working NB6plus4w is on firmware 3.29u.
Before someone says change the firmware - this voids your warrenty with netcomm - so would send it back first....

squeakytown

Post by squeakytown » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:43 pm

Ok - found it - don't you love the internet....sometimes.
Searched for 'netcomm reset mac wep' and found a reference to the security type 'WEP/WEP2' crashing modem firmware for macs.
(Don't know why my old modem is fine...)

Change security method to WPA PSK and ...no crashes!

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks for the update. Following up your reference, I noticed that Safari can't Save/Reboot the NB9W either.