In search of a modem/router

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
dawmail333

In search of a modem/router

Post by dawmail333 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:37 pm

The router in our house here has had better days, and I'm hoping to find a replacement ADSL2+ Modem/Router for a decent price. The new device needs to have a decent range, I have an external antennae if that helps, and it needs 4 ethernet ports. USB is not important, all I need is Ethernet, WLAN and ADSL2+. Any suggestions? I'd prefer not to get a Netcomm, bad experiences with those... (random factory resets anyone?)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! :D

bulletmark

Re: In search of a modem/router

Post by bulletmark » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:16 pm

People ask the same question a few times each day in the DSL hardware forum at Whirlpool. You will get plenty of informed opinions and suggestions there. See http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/82.

dawmail333

Post by dawmail333 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:28 pm

Sorry :( :oops:

I think I found a decent one though...

bulletmark

Post by bulletmark » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:46 pm

dawmail333 wrote:Sorry :( :oops:

I think I found a decent one though...
No need to apologise! If you look through that forum you will see that, given your stated requirements, many would suggest a Billion 7800N.

However, personally I fail to understand why people would buy any adsl modem which does not include voip + pstn line support? It is hardly much more and I think it is better and easier to have voip built in to your modem. Of course you are using voip right? If you aren't then you are missing something fundamental.

dawmail333

Post by dawmail333 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:56 pm

Nope, parents don't think much of voip. Makes the mobile bills cheaper too, we bundle our phones with Telstra.

Thinking of grabbing a Asus RT-N10, tbh, provides wireless N, ADSL2+, 4 ethernet ports and detachable antennae, perfect for our purposes. And I've never had any issue with ASUS. Best thing is, $45 from Umart, which is fairly close for shipping purposes. Nice stuff.

I also saw an interesting ASUS modem that provided a bittorrent client on the modem itself, interesting idea, but not worth an extra $50 imo.

Thanks anyway...

Oh, and tbh, I don't like Whirlpool.
Last edited by dawmail333 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:04 pm

dawmail333 wrote:Oh, and tbh, I don't like Whirlpool.
Very astute of you. And that modem seems like a bargain and should serve your needs well. As long as it is not a DLink or Netgear, I think most ADSL2+ modems are fine (though I personally like Dynalink, or Draytek if you are after a premium brand for a business)
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au