Connection problem - Alcatel/Thompson Speedtouch 530

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
The Lobster

Connection problem - Alcatel/Thompson Speedtouch 530

Post by The Lobster » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Hi all,
My sister-in-law has the above modem on an adsl1 connection. Has been working fine for over 6 months but she had a phone line issue a few days ago. She lost the dial tone on her phone. Telstra sorted that out but now I can't get her internet connection back up. The LAN icon continually says "acquiring network address" and if I put 10.0.0.130 into the browser to get to the modem config, it tells me that page cannot be found. The modem itself is showing that it has a connection, so I assume it's an issue between the modem and the pc. I'm going to try resetting the modem to factory settings and starting again.

Any other ideas???

thanks

matt

Munka

Re: Connection problem - Alcatel/Thompson Speedtouch 530

Post by Munka » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:32 pm

The Lobster wrote:Hi all,
My sister-in-law has the above modem on an adsl1 connection. Has been working fine for over 6 months but she had a phone line issue a few days ago. She lost the dial tone on her phone. Telstra sorted that out but now I can't get her internet connection back up. The LAN icon continually says "acquiring network address" and if I put 10.0.0.130 into the browser to get to the modem config, it tells me that page cannot be found. The modem itself is showing that it has a connection, so I assume it's an issue between the modem and the pc. I'm going to try resetting the modem to factory settings and starting again.

Any other ideas???

thanks

matt
Hi I thought that speedtouch default telnet ip was 192.168.1.254, I don't have the model you are trying to access, but the other numerous speedtouch modems I have setup were all the 192.168.1.254 address. I could be mistaken but try that address.
Munka

The Lobster

Post by The Lobster » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:09 pm

Thanks Munka but I tried that too.

So I did a factory reset on the modem which made absolutely no difference except the DSL light went from green to orange. I think this confirms that the modem was connected to Exetel OK before, but the factory reset has taken the correct username and password out so now it doesn't connect. So I think my issue is somewhere between the motherboard and modem via the LAN controller. I tried removing the network adapter driver and letting windows reinstall it, which it did, but didn't make any difference. The device manager is reporting a problem with the "PCI Simple Communications Controller". After doing a bit of research on that I used http://www.pcidatabase.com to work out that it is the Dell Optiplex Data Fax Modem which is causing the error. That presumably has nothing to do with my problem.

So I'm at a dead end for ideas. Can anyone suggest anything? All I can think of is to put another network card in and see if that makes any difference.

thanks again.

matt

ps - just realised this should be in the Speedtouch section of the forums. Mods, feel free to move it there.

sable

Post by sable » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:34 pm

and if I put 10.0.0.130 into the browser to get to the modem config, it tells me that page cannot be found
The default IP address of this modem is 10.0.0.138 as are all Telstra issued units.

What was the phone line issue and how was it fixed?

It is possible the ADSL codes have been dropped off the line (just went through this with a customer)

The Lobster

Post by The Lobster » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:45 am

sable wrote:
and if I put 10.0.0.130 into the browser to get to the modem config, it tells me that page cannot be found
The default IP address of this modem is 10.0.0.138 as are all Telstra issued units.

What was the phone line issue and how was it fixed?

It is possible the ADSL codes have been dropped off the line (just went through this with a customer)

I'm not sure, but surely I'd still be able to access the modem config program if that happened, wouldn't I??? It seems to me that it's an issue between the pc and the modem rather than the modem and the ISP.

thanks for the suggestion

matt

sable

Post by sable » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:50 am

Matt

Unless it was a typo in your original post you are trying to access the modem using the wrong IP address.

The default IP address of Telstra modems is 10.0.0.138

If you are using this address then yes that part of he problem is between PC and modem, you should be able to access the estup pages of the modem regardless of the condition of the adsl service.

The Lobster

Post by The Lobster » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:29 am

sable wrote:Matt

Unless it was a typo in your original post you are trying to access the modem using the wrong IP address.

The default IP address of Telstra modems is 10.0.0.138

If you are using this address then yes that part of he problem is between PC and modem, you should be able to access the estup pages of the modem regardless of the condition of the adsl service.
Sorry, yes, typo. I was trying to get access via 10.0.0.138.

matt

sable

Post by sable » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:40 am

So you need to check the status of the network hardware and connections on the PC.

Is there another PC you can get access from.