Modem recommendations

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
coref1

Re: Modem recommendations

Post by coref1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:43 pm

:D
Dazzled wrote:Billion make very good routers, but configuring their VoIP successfully in all-in-one units can be difficult. I was referring to the frequent help requests. Their DMZ implentation can be funny too as Jokiin reminded us today.

I usually equip my friends and non-tech family with simple Dynalink RTA1046VW all-in-one wireless units. (Use the very new firmware downloadable from this forum). I think of the Asus RT-N* series for their large internal RAM and the ability to chuck out the built-in firmware and run open source Linux gateway router systems. The biggest of them when converted can actually be set up as an Asterix box, so these are serious devices for the technical fiddler.

If the Netcomm is ok apart from wireless, you could put a wireless unit behind it fed by cable and keep using the modem/router/VoIP side of the Netcomm. TP-Link has some quite affordable high power access points to pick from at $50-$70. This would be the cheapest way out.

You have quite a full home network. I hope it doesn't all run at once.
Thanks Dazzled,

Your right we're a low tech family with a high tech home network. It's probably a wonder the Netcomm copes at all at times.

I have noticed from other forums the Billion devices don't seem to be user friendly so I take on board what you said.

I should have mentioned I'm looking to upgrade the capacity of both my wired and wireless network so was thinking of a modem router with Gigabit ports and N wireless/high power tmt capacity.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:01 pm

Have you looked at the Draytek Vigor 2710 range? There's an all-in-one there with wireless N. Quality, but hardly a giveaway, eg http://www.jmgtechnology.com.au/index.p ... =89_90_121 User astromo has put up a how-to for VoIP on this forum at download/file.php?id=771

Unless all your devices are talking to each other your ADSL connection is the bottleneck.

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:04 pm

coref1 wrote: I should have mentioned I'm looking to upgrade the capacity of both my wired and wireless network so was thinking of a modem router with Gigabit ports and N wireless/high power tmt capacity.
I have recently lashed out on a Draytek 2710vn. Very happy, rock solid so far (four months)...fully featured for VOIP and HSPA fallback or network printer.
It does not come with Gig Lan but model up does. If you hunt online you can find good deals. I had a Netcomm NB6Plus4W but the Lan ports died due to heat maybe.
RAND-NF/20INCTEL-Draytek 2710vn

coref1

Post by coref1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:46 pm

Dazzled wrote:Have you looked at the Draytek Vigor 2710 range? There's an all-in-one there with wireless N. Quality, but hardly a giveaway, eg http://www.jmgtechnology.com.au/index.p ... =89_90_121 User astromo has put up a how-to for VoIP on this forum at download/file.php?id=771

Unless all your devices are talking to each other your ADSL connection is the bottleneck.
Thanks Dazzled and Mixer,

I think your right about my adsl connection, maybe the NBN will fix it. Hope the QLD floods doesn't delay it.

I was looking at the Drayteks before when I was more focussed on the voip and they do seem to be good but like you said they're no giveaway. Having said that if they solve my problem at least a bit I'd be happy to pay the price. I'm about 3ks from the exchange and getting about 3.3 to 4 mbps down speed. Do you think a Draytek would help?

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:03 pm

coref1 wrote:Do you think a Draytek would help?
Sync and download change was marginal from the Netcomm to Draytek.
Got more improvement locating the unit at the first building entry and removing redundant cables and cheap ADSL filters.
VOIP appears more stable ??? from when I was using a V210P.

coref1

Post by coref1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:39 pm

Mixer wrote:
coref1 wrote:Do you think a Draytek would help?
Sync and download change was marginal from the Netcomm to Draytek.
Got more improvement locating the unit at the first building entry and removing redundant cables and cheap ADSL filters.
VOIP appears more stable ??? from when I was using a V210P.
Thanks Mixer,

Did you notice any improvement in wireless connections as that is my biggest problem at present?

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:54 am

coref1 wrote: any improvement in wireless connections

Yes the range is much better than what the Netcomm was. You can also buy higher gain antenna.

coref1

Post by coref1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:25 am

Mixer wrote:
coref1 wrote: any improvement in wireless connections

Yes the range is much better than what the Netcomm was. You can also buy higher gain antenna.
Thanks Mixer,
I'll focus on a more stable wireless connection over speed. In this regards the separate wireless access point Dazzled mentioned would be a cheaper option but do you think it would give me stronger wireless connection then a Draytek?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:28 am

If necessary, yes.

You'll see some access points listed at the sidebar of the site I referred to earlier for the Draytek. TP-Link is an affordable Chinese brand with good English documentation, Cisco is a US design. The purpose of these is usually to extend range (so secure it properly in the suburbs), or clean up local signal difficulties. Some are also NAT routers, so keep the config in mind when putting one behind your existing NAT router. Others just repeat the incoming ethernet, which would probably suit your case.

These devices can be flexible, like repeating your wireless router. There are some ideas at the top of each FAQ at http://www.tp-link.com/support/faq.asp?c=9

coref1

Post by coref1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:06 am

Dazzled wrote:If necessary, yes.

You'll see some access points listed at the sidebar of the site I referred to earlier for the Draytek. TP-Link is an affordable Chinese brand with good English documentation, Cisco is a US design. The purpose of these is usually to extend range (so secure it properly in the suburbs), or clean up local signal difficulties. Some are also NAT routers, so keep the config in mind when putting one behind your existing NAT router. Others just repeat the incoming ethernet, which would probably suit your case.

These devices can be flexible, like repeating your wireless router. There are some ideas at the top of each FAQ at http://www.tp-link.com/support/faq.asp?c=9

Thanks Dazzled,

Do you think a wireless repeater would give stronger wireless transmission than an all in one N wireless router modem unit.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:13 pm

Gee how long is a piece of string? You'd have to compare the specs of the things that interest you. Going back to the first post
I'm looking for a replacement for my nb9w due to it's increasingly unreliable wireless connection.
Can you give me some idea on what modem router would be most capable?
We then discussed a range of decent modem/routers from the quite affordable to the top of the line so far as domestic models are concerned. But going back to basics, you have a very large home network connected to a fixed bandwidth ADSL service. You can't do anything to get more external bandwidth when your menagerie of gadgets are all in use. That is more constricting than running out of wireless bandwidth. If the Netcomm wireless performance is less than satisfactory, we can economically fix that without replacing the device - just add an access point with a longer range. If that's not enough, you could use an access point as a repeater at the back of the house or wherever. Unless you live on a large rural property that will do. if your house construction creates a poor radio area (as some do), a low cost access point will rectify it, and may be useful whatever make router you choose.

If you think the Netcomm is on the way out you could replace it entirely. They usually only last a few years. The units mentioned in the posts above have decent domestic ranges within legal limits. If I'm due for a present I'll certainly ask for a wireless N Draytek. If I'm paying I'll probably end up with a Dynalink all-in-one, and not feel bad about replacing it in a few years. Just don't let any of these things overheat. Some are arranged vertically for ventilation, or can be stood up that way. Some have more "aeration". It helps if you can't put things on one. Don't stack up routers and modems on the desktop.

samarium

Post by samarium » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:21 pm

coref1 wrote:I'm looking for a replacement for my nb9w due to it's increasingly unreliable wireless connection.
Is it getting adequately cooled? Many wireless modems perform poorly when too hot.

IanS

Post by IanS » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:58 am

samarium wrote:
coref1 wrote:I'm looking for a replacement for my nb9w due to it's increasingly unreliable wireless connection.
Is it getting adequately cooled? Many wireless modems perform poorly when too hot.
I've recently converted friends from an NB9W to a (gasp) Billion 7404VGPX. They made comment that the wireless now worked in their bedroom, where it didn't with the NB9W.

I’ve also experienced several dead or dying power packs with NB9Ws, that cause issues with VoIP/PSTN phone calls & lots of ADSL dropouts.

coref1

Post by coref1 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:54 am

samarium wrote:
I've got it sitting by itself on a glass top so ventilation is as good as I can give it. having said that it does seem to be hot on the bottom.

coref1

Post by coref1 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:02 am

IanS wrote:
samarium wrote:

I've recently converted friends from an NB9W to a (gasp) Billion 7404VGPX. They made comment that the wireless now worked in their bedroom, where it didn't with the NB9W.

I’ve also experienced several dead or dying power packs with NB9Ws, that cause issues with VoIP/PSTN phone calls & lots of ADSL dropouts.
I've had the Nb9w for a few years now so it's probably due to be buried. I just have to decide whether to go down the cheaper route with something like a Dynalink or spend more and go for something like a Billion or Draytrek.