Plan Upgrade Question

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
SteveDave

Plan Upgrade Question

Post by SteveDave » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi guys,

after receiving the Email about the surcharge that will be applied to all old plans, I've decided to upgrade from 1.5MB to 8MB, ADSL1.

I currently have a 2-wire modem supplied by Telstra, which I've been using this whole time. Now I'm just wondering as to whether this modem will be capable of handling the upgraded speed? And will any modifications need to be made to the modem settings?

Thanks in advance.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Plan Upgrade Question

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:00 pm

You'll still be on ADSL1, and it will work, no configuration changes needed. It might be necessary to reboot it (switch off and on again) after the change to ensure it initialises at the new speed.

If you want to consider VoIP telephony (you should) you might find Telstra crippled your router. Prices have come down a lot and the good onlline retailer catalogues are worth while studying. Eg http://www.jmgtechnology.com.au/ who only do networking stuff, or a general hardware seller, such as http://www.seeknbuy.com.au/. The simplest path to VoIP is using a combined modem/router/ATA all-in-one unit, like the Dynalink.

SteveDave

Post by SteveDave » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Just another quick question, will the speed change happen immediately or by the time the next payment occurs? And will the $40 fee for the change of plans occur straight away?

Sorry, that was 2 questions.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:43 am

SteveDave wrote:Just another quick question, will the speed change happen immediately or by the time the next payment occurs? And will the $40 fee for the change of plans occur straight away?
Both will occur at the start of the billing cycle (i.e. first business day of the new month)
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Petunia1943

Post by Petunia1943 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:10 pm

Hi
I am an oldie :) When I change from my old TL-A 256/64 plan to a T PAYU 1500/256 plan
Will I need to do anything re my modem/router Exetel supplied NB 1300
Regards
Trev

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:17 pm

Petunia, it's just an ADSL1 speed change, so the reply is nope, the NB1300 will still work as is. It's getting a bit long in the tooth though, so retirement is on the cards. I'd get a new one soon and keep it as an emergency spare. Prices for simple wired modems have come down a lot. Exetel have a range at https://www.exetel.com.au/modemorder/index.php. From another supplier, I wouldn't mind one of these http://www.jmgtechnology.com.au/product ... cts_id=435 as a simple modem router either.

(I've got an NB1300 standing by in the drawer at the moment)

Petunia1943

Post by Petunia1943 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:32 pm

Many thanks Dazzled for your prompt and helpful reply
Old Trev

Petunia1943

Post by Petunia1943 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:44 pm

Hi again (be)Dazzled
On looking at your second link to the modems, it specifically says TD8840 ADSL2......
Does this make it ok for Adsl1 (Can't get 2 via Optus here yet)
PS..... The description etc may as well be in hieroglyphics for me ,sob :(
Thanks again
Trev

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Petunia1943 wrote:Hi again (be)Dazzled
On looking at your second link to the modems, it specifically says TD8840 ADSL2......
Does this make it ok for Adsl1 (Can't get 2 via Optus here yet)
PS..... The description etc may as well be in hieroglyphics for me ,sob :(
Thanks again
Trev
ADSL2 modems work fine for ADSL1, just the other way around has some limits, I use a TD8810 and it has been an excellent modem

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:07 pm

To add to Jokiin....

The heiroglyphics are: G.992.1 (G.DMT) translates as ADSL1 capable; and G.992.5 is ADSL2+ capable for people who don't dream in tech-spec. Almost all moderm modems can handle both. They even make it easy by determining the right modulation to use by themselves. That one, BTW is from a very low cost Chinese manufacturer whose products I have been pleasantly surprised by. Affordable domestic modems fail within a few years of solid use - they are built to a wholesale price. There are a couple of brands I wouldn't touch, and they tend to be sold by the retail chains.

PS Further info here: http://www.tp-link.com.au/ Check out the wireless version TD-W8901G if you think you'll ever have a laptop.

Petunia

Post by Petunia » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:44 pm

More Dazzling :)
My wife and I both have laptops which are remotely wirelessly connected to a netgear router which is linked to the NB 1300 by cable.
Does the wireless one you mention in your last post make the netgear redundant :)
No more I promise (Buy you a beer or two if your in Tamworth your'e prob not a Country Music fan ? )
Trev

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:46 pm

Dazzled wrote:To add to Jokiin....

The heiroglyphics are: G.992.1 (G.DMT) translates as ADSL1 capable; and G.992.5 is ADSL2+ capable for people who don't dream in tech-spec. Almost all moderm modems can handle both. They even make it easy by determining the right modulation to use by themselves. That one, BTW is from a very low cost Chinese manufacturer whose products I have been pleasantly surprised by. Affordable domestic modems fail within a few years of solid use - they are built to a wholesale price. There are a couple of brands I wouldn't touch, and they tend to be sold by the retail chains.

PS Further info here: http://www.tp-link.com.au/ Check out the wireless version TD-W8901G if you think you'll ever have a laptop.
I've been using the TP-Link for a bit over two years and it has been rock solid, bought it when I got ADSL2 connected at my old house, I've relocated and I'm back on ADSL1 and it still works great

I use another model TP-Link in my office in China, the one I bought had an Australian equivalent so I was able to flash with the Australian firmware so I could get an English interface, used that one for almost the same amount of time and has been a great product as well, very cheap product but in my experience has been excellent, highly recommended

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:48 pm

Petunia wrote:More Dazzling :)
My wife and I both have laptops which are remotely wirelessly connected to a netgear router which is linked to the NB 1300 by cable.
Does the wireless one you mention in your last post make the netgear redundant :)
No more I promise (Buy you a beer or two if your in Tamworth your'e prob not a Country Music fan ? )
Trev
that would give you an all in one solution, modem, router, wireless http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/prod ... =TD-W8901G

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:26 pm

I don't go up Tamworth way much any more - that music puts me right off. (Interestingly my relos and forebears once sat on more acres than I can count up your way. Save me an Old)