NetGear D6300 issue...

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
fredbucket

NetGear D6300 issue...

Post by fredbucket » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:27 pm

I have recently upgraded to a NetGear D6300 modem/router and am having some dropout issues for which I need some advice.

Basically, the modem every 12-24 hours drops the Wireless LAN, the Gigabit ethernet connection through a TP-Link bridge, and the internet - requiring power off/on to reset the whole thing. I have done an extended ping test from my computer to the modem and to the Exetel server and for roughly 35000 pings I had 100 timeouts. I'm also getting timeouts to Exetel (but not to the router surprisingly) using Total Network Monitor.

My question is this - is such a failure rate acceptable or should there (in theory) be no such dropouts at all, in which case I have a possible hardware problem with the D6300?

Thank you for any advice.

Regards
Fred

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: NetGear D6300 issue...

Post by Dazzled » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Do both the line and wireless drop, or just the line?

Re ping floods, look up server rate limiting - basically when busy, a server can ignore your ICMP packet. It's a router configuration; details for an extrem example can be seen at http://agix.com.au/blog/?p=2088 A Windows ping timeout means no response received in 4 seconds.

fredbucket

Re: NetGear D6300 issue...

Post by fredbucket » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:27 pm

Line and wireless. The results to the router and to Exetel are very similar, so that would suggest that no rate limiting is taking place.. I'm currently doing a ping test from another computer directly attached to the router - my computer before went through a bridge, so if I get the same sort of result then I can eliminate the bridge as an issue.

Regards
Fred