VOIP using a Cisco ATA

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
MatthewK

VOIP using a Cisco ATA

Post by MatthewK » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:26 pm

Hi all - have rejoined Exetel for my new NBN service which is working well - the NBN optical modem seems to be just fine and I have my Belkin router plugged into it and serving the entire house via wifi. All good.
I've never set up VOIP before, and bought a Cisco SPA112 ATA in order to do so. I have the ATA plugged in to the Belkin and it has assigned an IP address via DHCP successfully, and I can access the config page.
My question is - what do I do from here? Naively I hoped that might be all, but when I call the new number associated with our NBN service, Optus advises that the number has been disconnected. It was my belief that the VOIP was bundled with our NBN setup, and most of the information regarding the new service has made reference to a new number (03 6128 xxxx instead of our old 03 6234 xxxx number).
I'm sure it's a simple thing - but where do I go from here?
Thanks in advance (and apologies if I should have RTFM, but I searched around here and I did R the FM that came with the Cisco ATA).
Cheers,
Matthew.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: VOIP using a Cisco ATA

Post by Dazzled » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:00 pm

Maybe I've had too much Easter festivity, but I'm not clear on the problem, particularly the Optus bit.

If you have an ordinary VoIP service, the config is simple:
Proxy-58.96.1.2
Display Name- 10 digit phone number
User ID- same 10 digit number
Password- as received by email
Dial Plan- leave default unless you have a better version.

The ATA communicates with 58.96.1.2 on port 5060 UDP. Make sure the router firewall permits non-established connection to the ATA on this port, ie port forward to the ATA address, or even DMZ, or you won't get inward calls.

MatthewK

Post by MatthewK » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks - none of that information was in the mailout from Exetel, so perhaps I have to ask for it to be activated separately. Entering those things in the Cisco config didn't yield a working connection - the "Optus" thing is being generated by my mobile phone provider when I try to call our not-currently-connected number.
Many thanks for your help - I will ask Exetel if VOIP is enabled for our service.
Cheers, Matthew.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:18 pm

MatthewK wrote:Thanks - none of that information was in the mailout from Exetel, so perhaps I have to ask for it to be activated separately. Entering those things in the Cisco config didn't yield a working connection - the "Optus" thing is being generated by my mobile phone provider when I try to call our not-currently-connected number.
Many thanks for your help - I will ask Exetel if VOIP is enabled for our service.
Cheers, Matthew.
I have tested the VoIP account from our end and seems all good. Also I can see you have configured the device with VoIP credentials and VoIP is currently connected with our servers.

MatthewK

Post by MatthewK » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:04 pm

Thanks Shamin, I got a quick and very helpful response from your support team and it all worked first shot. Thumbs up for residential service support at Exetel!
Cheers,
Matthew.