Modem/Router no longer able to establish connection

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
Franpa

Modem/Router no longer able to establish connection

Post by Franpa » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:23 pm

Netcomm NB16WV-02 (faulty)
D-Link Viper DSL-2900 (works fine)

Hi, at 3:30AM yesterday you performed maintenance and when that maintenance started the Netcomm modem/router lost connectivity. The Netcomm modem/router so far continues to be unable to establish an ADSL connection for more than a few seconds (I can reach Google during the brief moments that it establishes a connection).

Coincidentally we were already planning to get a new D-Link modem/router on the same day that the Netcomm modem/router stopped working (MSY was selling it for $239). The D-Link modem/router works fine and establishes a connection very quickly.

So I don't know, but to me it seems like you guys did something that broke phone line compatibility with my Netcomm modem/router, or it coincidentally developed a fault the same day we got a new modem/router. The Netcomm still seems to have functioning router/LAN functionality and the web interface remains accessible.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1333MHZ RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: Modem/Router no longer able to establish connection

Post by KavindaS » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:42 pm

Franpa wrote:Netcomm NB16WV-02 (faulty)
D-Link Viper DSL-2900 (works fine)

Hi, at 3:30AM yesterday you performed maintenance and when that maintenance started the Netcomm modem/router lost connectivity. The Netcomm modem/router so far continues to be unable to establish an ADSL connection for more than a few seconds (I can reach Google during the brief moments that it establishes a connection).

Coincidentally we were already planning to get a new D-Link modem/router on the same day that the Netcomm modem/router stopped working (MSY was selling it for $239). The D-Link modem/router works fine and establishes a connection very quickly.

So I don't know, but to me it seems like you guys did something that broke phone line compatibility with my Netcomm modem/router, or it coincidentally developed a fault the same day we got a new modem/router. The Netcomm still seems to have functioning router/LAN functionality and the web interface remains accessible.
We have not performed any network change to have an impact in a specific router / modem model. It is a change to have all connected services to perform at a better specs. If the service working fine with a different modem, means no issues with the connectivity from Exetel network to any working router.

As a suggestion you may refer the device manufacturer support and get the firmware upgraded of the Netcomm router.

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:25 pm

Well it's just very coincidental that the router failed the instant you guys started doing maintenance. I've submitted a RMA request to the manufacturer (It already had the latest firmware), it's over a year old and Netcomm don't mention on their website how long the warranty period is so I dunno if they'll accept the RMA request but that's not really your business so whatever :)
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1333MHZ RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

ymo

Post by ymo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:08 pm

> I've submitted a RMA request to the manufacturer (It already had the latest firmware), it's over a year old and Netcomm don't mention on their website how long the warranty period is so I dunno if they'll accept the RMA request but that's not really your business so whatever :)

They do:

http://support.netcommwireless.com/support/warranty

then

Verify / Check your Warranty

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:26 pm

That does not tell you when it expires, after entering your details it only tells you:

Registration Date (Same as Date of Purchase in my case)
Model Number
Date Of Purchase
Serial Number
Last Name

Making that page pointless.

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:29 pm

I found the box for the modem/router and it indicates it has 1 year warranty with a bonus 2nd year if registered online. So it's definitely within the warranty period and I am in the process of RMA'ing it.

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:30 pm

It seems we managed to fix it with a phone conversation with Netcomm. The problem was that for some unknown reason the modem/router now requires me to specify an online web address in the Keep Alive input box in order for the internet connection to be maintained for an effective indefinite amount of time, if the Keep Alive input box was left blank the modem/router would drop the ADSL connection about 10 seconds after establishing it.

Previously I didn't need to specify anything in the Keep Alive input box so I don't know if this issue is good enough to justify an RMA considering the device effectively now seems to work without issue. Apparently only a handful of Netcomm customers have experienced this weird issue and the same solution worked for them.

Also I kinda goofed when I reset the device to factory defaults, the device defaults to a Gateway IP of 192.168.20.1 and I had our computers with static IP addresses configured to use a Gateway IP address consisting of 192.168.1.1 (I originally changed the device to use 192.168.1.1). This simple issue was preventing me from accessing the router from our PC's, it wasn't until the technician on the phone (Or the guy reading from a script) mentioned that the gateway should be 192.168.20.1 that I realized this mistake.
Last edited by Franpa on Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:22 pm

Franpa wrote:It seems we managed to fix it with a phone conversation with Netcomm. The problem was that for some unknown reason the modem/router now requires me to specify an online web address in the Keep Alive input box in order for the internet connection to be maintained for an effective indefinite amount of time, if the Keep Alive input box was left blank the modem/router would drop the ADSL connection about 10 seconds after establishing it.

Previously I didn't need to specify anything in the Keep Alive input box so I don't know if this issue is good enough to justify an RMA considering the device effectively now seems to work without issue. Apparently only a handful of Netcomm customers have experienced this weird issue and the same solution worked for them.

Also I kinda goofed when I reset the device to factory defaults, the device defaults to a Gateway IP of 192.168.20.1 and I had our computers with static IP addresses configured to use a Gateway IP address consisting of 192.168.1.1 (I originally changed the device to use 192.168.1.1). This simple issue was preventing me from accessing the router from our PC's, it wasn't until the technician on the phone (Or the guy reading from a script) mentioned that the gatway should be 192.168.20.1 that I realized this mistake.
Finally glad to hear that. Thank you for sharing the useful information here. :)

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:08 am

In addition to the random need to specify a setting that previously (for more than a year) never needed to be specified, I've noticed that the 5GHZ Wifi seems to be dead, or rather mobile phones need to be within 1 foot of the Netcomm modem/router in order to detect the 5GHZ signal. If they are more than 1 foot away they will report the 5GHZ Access Point to be out of range (2.4Ghz seems to work fine).

Also, while placing a mobile phone within 1 foot of the Netcomm device will result in successful connection to the Netcomm 5GHZ Access Point if I place a mobile phone within 1 foot of the Netcomm device several unrelated access points will vanish from the list of available access points, which to me is indicative of there being some kind of interference being transmitted by the Netcomm device.

So I'll probably end up committing to RMA'ing the device.

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:56 pm

I've RMA'd it, sent it off on Tuesday and they've today sent us a replacement device (It's still in transit).