Netcomm NF4V .. How to configure for phone over NBN (FTTN)

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
xywolap

Netcomm NF4V .. How to configure for phone over NBN (FTTN)

Post by xywolap » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:11 pm

I have NBN (FTTN) up and running and Exetel have supplied the log on details for the phone setup with this modem NF4V but the .pdf supplied by them showing how to set it up has no relevance to ours whatsoever... (pulling hair out!!)
Their list of configuration examples on here does not include this modem even though they have sold them constantly for the past year approx.
Does anyone here know how to configure the NF4V for phone use over NBN (FTTN) ?? Or a link to a guide that would make sense?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Netcomm NF4V .. How to configure for phone over NBN (FTT

Post by Dazzled » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:29 pm

Does this help, step 2? http://www.netcommwireless.com/sm/self- ... etup-guide, with Exetel SIP domain as sent to you. Your authentication name is your 10 digit VOIP phone number, and password as sent to you.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:20 pm

xywolap wrote:I have NBN (FTTN) up and running and Exetel have supplied the log on details for the phone setup with this modem NF4V but the .pdf supplied by them showing how to set it up has no relevance to ours whatsoever... (pulling hair out!!)
Their list of configuration examples on here does not include this modem even though they have sold them constantly for the past year approx.
Does anyone here know how to configure the NF4V for phone use over NBN (FTTN) ?? Or a link to a guide that would make sense?
According to the user guide link given by Dazzled, once you log in to the voip setup page, follow the below recommended settings when configuring Voip.

1. Bound Interface Name: ANY_WAN

2. Country : Australia

3. sip local port(1-65535): 5060

4. SIP domain name*: LEAVE THIS FIELD BLANK

5. Use SIP Proxy for SIP Account 1 : "enable this field"

SIP Proxy: 58.96.1.2

SIP Proxy port: 5060

6. Use SIP Outbound Proxy for SIP Account 1 : "enable this field"

SIP Outbound Proxy:58.96.1.2

SIP Outbound Proxy port: 5060

7. Use SIP Proxy for SIP Account 1 : "enable this field"

SIP Registrar: 58.96.1.2

SIP Registrar port: 5060

8. Account enable 1 : "enable this field"

9. Polarity Reverse Enable : "disable this field"

10. Authentication name : YOUR VOIP PHONE NUMBER

11. Password : YOUR VOIP PASSWORD

12. Cid Name : LEAVE THIS FIELD BLANK

13. Cid Number : YOUR VOIP PHONE NUMBER

Do not change any of the other settings. Please contact Exetel support (0280301000/ 1300788141 / residentialsupport@exetel.com.au) if you have any difficulties after going through this.

xywolap

Post by xywolap » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:06 am

Thanks Kavinda.... I got it working....you were 99.9% correct !! :-)
The very first setting you mention, that is wrong for a FTTN over NBN
.... change that to PPP0.1 and voip over FTTN works.
I think the ANY WAN setting is for those connected through FTTP?
For those on FTTN select PPP0.1

I have noticed that many guides fail to show the different settings / hookup that is needed for FTTP and FTTN. It does need a tidy up? It would save a lot of calls and emails.

Please post this guide as a sticky for those with NF4V modem/routers.
Thanks again!!!

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:01 pm

xywolap wrote:Thanks Kavinda.... I got it working....you were 99.9% correct !! :-)
The very first setting you mention, that is wrong for a FTTN over NBN
.... change that to PPP0.1 and voip over FTTN works.
I think the ANY WAN setting is for those connected through FTTP?
For those on FTTN select PPP0.1

I have noticed that many guides fail to show the different settings / hookup that is needed for FTTP and FTTN. It does need a tidy up? It would save a lot of calls and emails.

Please post this guide as a sticky for those with NF4V modem/routers.
Thanks again!!!
It is great to hear the service is working now :) . "ANY WAN" has worked with few other FTTN services and that is why I have suggested to select that. Yes, in a way I would have asked you try both if one fails to register. Usually when the Internet is connected, we can check in router status for the connected interface and decide what "Bound Interface Name" needs to select. That is a good point you have made for future configurations. I will try and get these uploaded to Exewiki page in future.

ScoopD

Post by ScoopD » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:21 pm

It is excellent that the document I was sent was for the Netcomm V100, not the NF4V as supplied by Exetel. What is even better is that the details in that document say that the SIP Proxy = 202.177.222.24 (*** Aussie sarcasm inserted ***)

In the body of the email I was sent, it said that for a softphone or other BYO hardware to use SIP server = 58.96.1.2

Can you update your document to reflect the correct settings. I would assume there will be many new FTTN compatible modems supplied in the next couple of years.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:28 pm

ScoopD wrote:It is excellent that the document I was sent was for the Netcomm V100, not the NF4V as supplied by Exetel. What is even better is that the details in that document say that the SIP Proxy = 202.177.222.24 (*** Aussie sarcasm inserted ***)

In the body of the email I was sent, it said that for a softphone or other BYO hardware to use SIP server = 58.96.1.2

Can you update your document to reflect the correct settings. I would assume there will be many new FTTN compatible modems supplied in the next couple of years.
Do you mean a pdf you have received or a printed document? Can you please attach and email this to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au to check and correct this?

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:31 pm

KavindaS wrote:
ScoopD wrote:It is excellent that the document I was sent was for the Netcomm V100, not the NF4V as supplied by Exetel. What is even better is that the details in that document say that the SIP Proxy = 202.177.222.24 (*** Aussie sarcasm inserted ***)

Do you mean a pdf you have received or a printed document? Can you please attach and email this to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au to check and correct this?
Please refer https://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.p ... 39#p318339

ScoopD

Post by ScoopD » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:39 pm

PDF link was sent in the email from Exetel support
http://www.exetel.com.au/files/VOIP_Setup.pdf

I then received another email from Exetel Provisioning with links to a web page and a PDF that do not exist - just redirected back to the home page

http://www.exetel.com.au/voip_setup.php
http://www.exetel.com.au/voip_pdf/softphone.pdf

And then another email from Exetel Provisioning essentially the same, but with the following information at the beginning of the email -
Following is the information you will need to configure and connect to the Exetel VOIP service.

To use Exetel VOIP service, you will need a telephone number and password and these are:

VOIP Number =

Password = (The password is case sensitive)

VOIP Number =

VOIP Number =

VOIP Number =

VOIP Number =

shehanw
Exetel Staff

Post by shehanw » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:56 pm

Apologies for that, please refer the following link and setup your VOIP service.

http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... etup_Guide

tin

Post by tin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:28 pm

Not working for my grandmother's NF4V. Internet is working great, but the VoIP just says "down" on the modem. Factory reset and used the Exetel wiki as a guide, and it just won't work.
To make matters worse, it seems to not even be trying. There's nothing at all in the logs about voice stuff. I even switched all the voice logging options to debug, and checked the debug level logs... Nothing!

But given the other random issues I've found in the NF4V's web interface, I'm starting to wonder if it's even trying to connect. Anything beyond basic WiFi and internet seems very poorly tested.
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:52 pm

tin wrote:Not working for my grandmother's NF4V. Internet is working great, but the VoIP just says "down" on the modem. Factory reset and used the Exetel wiki as a guide, and it just won't work.
To make matters worse, it seems to not even be trying. There's nothing at all in the logs about voice stuff. I even switched all the voice logging options to debug, and checked the debug level logs... Nothing!

But given the other random issues I've found in the NF4V's web interface, I'm starting to wonder if it's even trying to connect. Anything beyond basic WiFi and internet seems very poorly tested.
Again follow the below steps correctly.

1. Bound Interface Name: "ANY_WAN" . If that doesn't work change that to "PPP0.1" and check.

2. Country : Australia

3. sip local port(1-65535): 5060

4. SIP domain name*: LEAVE THIS FIELD BLANK

5. Use SIP Proxy for SIP Account 1 : "enable this field"

SIP Proxy: 58.96.1.2

SIP Proxy port: 5060

6. Use SIP Outbound Proxy for SIP Account 1 : "enable this field"

SIP Outbound Proxy:58.96.1.2

SIP Outbound Proxy port: 5060

7. Use SIP Proxy for SIP Account 1 : "enable this field"

SIP Registrar: 58.96.1.2

SIP Registrar port: 5060

8. Account enable 1 : "enable this field"

9. Polarity Reverse Enable : "disable this field"

10. Authentication name : YOUR VOIP PHONE NUMBER

11. Password : YOUR VOIP PASSWORD

12. Cid Name : LEAVE THIS FIELD BLANK

13. Cid Number : YOUR VOIP PHONE NUMBER
-----------

If the voip not registering after following above, try below 2 steps as well.
1. Use sip1.exetel.com.au instead of all used 58.96.1.2
2. Go to Advance setup > NAT > ALG > Untick 'Enable SIP'

Do not change any of the other settings. Please contact Exetel support (0280301000/ 1300788141 / residentialsupport@exetel.com.au) if you have any difficulties after going through this.

tin

Post by tin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:31 am

I had read this thread already before I factory reset yesterday, and I've done all that... I've factory reset to ensure no one else's fiddling was causing problems. I toggled SIP ALG, I tried the PPP0.1 interface option... I left it around 5 minutes between toggling settings to check if it would register... And it just does nothing.

I'm not dicking around anymore. I'm ordering a Cisco ATA and letting it do the work. Wall mountable too, unlike these stupid looking modems.
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:03 pm

tin wrote:I had read this thread already before I factory reset yesterday, and I've done all that... I've factory reset to ensure no one else's fiddling was causing problems. I toggled SIP ALG, I tried the PPP0.1 interface option... I left it around 5 minutes between toggling settings to check if it would register... And it just does nothing.

I'm not dicking around anymore. I'm ordering a Cisco ATA and letting it do the work. Wall mountable too, unlike these stupid looking modems.
Sorry to hear that. Let me know if you are willing to check this with us, so I can arrange a senior engineer to contact you.