Unable to access resolve most websites (TP Link TD-W8960N)

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
DougFiasco

Unable to access resolve most websites (TP Link TD-W8960N)

Post by DougFiasco » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:16 pm

Hi,
I've just bought a new modem (TD-W8960N) as I was getting increasingly frequent dropouts, and blamed my aging Billion.

So I've set up the new modem, and it seems to be connected, but I can't access most websites.
I can access gmail, and google docs. And access friends, chat and updates through Steam (but not Steam store). But every other website fails.
I can ping IP addresses, but nothing through the browser. I managed to connect to one site, by typing in the IP address.

I've checked DNS etc, but welcome any suggestions of things to try. My original modem, still works fine (with it's existing settings).
TP-Link have asked if there was a MAC restriction on my line too, but I wouldn't expect so.
I'll play around with MTUs a bit more, but I've exhausted all the options I can think of and have found...

Thanks.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: Unable to access resolve most websites (TP Link TD-W8960

Post by KavindaS » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:09 pm

DougFiasco wrote:Hi,
I've just bought a new modem (TD-W8960N) as I was getting increasingly frequent dropouts, and blamed my aging Billion.

So I've set up the new modem, and it seems to be connected, but I can't access most websites.
I can access gmail, and google docs. And access friends, chat and updates through Steam (but not Steam store). But every other website fails.
I can ping IP addresses, but nothing through the browser. I managed to connect to one site, by typing in the IP address.

I've checked DNS etc, but welcome any suggestions of things to try. My original modem, still works fine (with it's existing settings).
TP-Link have asked if there was a MAC restriction on my line too, but I wouldn't expect so.
I'll play around with MTUs a bit more, but I've exhausted all the options I can think of and have found...

Thanks.
Service appears to be fine as it is working fine with the previous modem. Try with one more factory reset and reconfigure with the most basic settings. If the issue persists, possible faulty modem even it is brand new.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:18 pm

Go to the Advanced Setup ->DNS section of the router and see whether you have picked up the DNS server. Auto should get it. If not enter 220.233.0.4 manually. If that fails, enter that IP into your computer OS as a direct DNS lookup by the OS. (Control Panel in Windows)

DougFiasco

Post by DougFiasco » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:36 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried the DNS options, and even automatically - it's still picking up the Exetel DNS ones. Though I also get "58.96.3.34" which is similar to my IP, so I assume Exetel too. I've just emailed TP link for suggestions. If they've got nothing, I'll return the modem. I'm certain the problem is with the modem, because even when I set up wifi on the new one, my phone experiences the same problems. I just hoped somebody might know some simple trick I've overlooked :D

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:01 pm

DougFiasco wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I've tried the DNS options, and even automatically - it's still picking up the Exetel DNS ones. Though I also get "58.96.3.34" which is similar to my IP, so I assume Exetel too. I've just emailed TP link for suggestions. If they've got nothing, I'll return the modem. I'm certain the problem is with the modem, because even when I set up wifi on the new one, my phone experiences the same problems. I just hoped somebody might know some simple trick I've overlooked :D
If you continuously getting 58.96.3.34 as the DNS, Try manually inputting Primary Dns 220.233.0.4 and Secondary Dns 220.233.0.3. You may also try by lowering the MTU value to 1400 or below for testing purposes.

jbd

Post by jbd » Mon May 29, 2017 5:22 am

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was having this issue a month ago, but also had a separate issue where I couldn't post on the Forum which I've only just had fixed.
The modem issue was unable to be fixed by Exetel, but has been fixed by TP-Link support with a firmware update (and several weeks of back and forth beforehand via 3 levels of their support teams). The issue was related to MTU settings, and for a Windows desktop was fixed fairly quickly. The sticking point was that MTU can't be changed on Android devices, so apps on my phone were still mostly not usable etc.
All seems to be working once they provided a beta Firmware late last week. TP-Link still want to do some cleanup analysis with me remotely, and hopefully after that they will release the firmware into production via their website. In the meantime, if someone is readying this thread and has the same issue, contact me via PM and I can provide you with the Firmware file.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Mon May 29, 2017 4:22 pm

jbd wrote:Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was having this issue a month ago, but also had a separate issue where I couldn't post on the Forum which I've only just had fixed.
The modem issue was unable to be fixed by Exetel, but has been fixed by TP-Link support with a firmware update (and several weeks of back and forth beforehand via 3 levels of their support teams). The issue was related to MTU settings, and for a Windows desktop was fixed fairly quickly. The sticking point was that MTU can't be changed on Android devices, so apps on my phone were still mostly not usable etc.
All seems to be working once they provided a beta Firmware late last week. TP-Link still want to do some cleanup analysis with me remotely, and hopefully after that they will release the firmware into production via their website. In the meantime, if someone is readying this thread and has the same issue, contact me via PM and I can provide you with the Firmware file.
Thank you for sharing some valuable information and troubleshooting steps here. That is exactly why the Exetel technical support engineers, suggests to contact modem vendor support for issues that can be resolved by them. :)