Some modem and ISP configuration questions

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
Franpa

Some modem and ISP configuration questions

Post by Franpa » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:01 am

1) Does Exetel support Seamless Rate Adaptation at my phone exchange? If I enable this when it isn't supported, will it cause negative issues or will it simply have no impact at all?

2) Should AnnexM and/or AnnexL be enabled for optimal connectivity?

3) Should Bitswap be enabled? It has been enabled for a long time now, just asking if I should leave it enabled or turn it off.

I've done a little research on the SRA and Bitswap topics, like reading http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsl_technology.htm
Last edited by Franpa on Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1333MHZ RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

Amila Fernando
Forum Admin

Re: Some modem and ISP configuration questions

Post by Amila Fernando » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:40 pm

Franpa wrote:1) Does Exetel support Seamless Rate Adaptation at my phone exchange? If I enable this when it isn't supported, will it cause negative issues or will it simply have no impact at all? Edit: It seems the Modem simply doesn't establish a Gateway if it is unsupported.

3) Should Bitswap be enabled? It has been enabled for a long time now, just asking if I should leave it enabled or turn it off.

I've done a little research on the SRA and Bitswap topics, like reading http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsl_technology.htm
First of all I apologize for the delayed response. We will check this and get back to you shortly.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:34 pm

No worries about the delayed response, it was the weekend after all.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1333MHZ RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

Amila Fernando
Forum Admin

Post by Amila Fernando » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:51 pm

Franpa wrote:1) Does Exetel support Seamless Rate Adaptation at my phone exchange? If I enable this when it isn't supported, will it cause negative issues or will it simply have no impact at all? Edit: It seems the Modem simply doesn't establish a Gateway if it is unsupported.

1) Yes, you can enable Seamless Rate Adaptation
2) No, AnnexM and AnnexL is not supported. The most common moduation setting would be Auto or ADSL Mutlimode as Exetel only support ADSL2+ and G.DMT.
3) Yes, enable Bitswap & leave it
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:18 am

Thanks, I wasn't sure SRA worked because it seems to increase the amount of time it takes for the modem to first establish a connection and it seemed to not be working/I simply wasn't waiting long enough. I wasn't sure if SRA worked when connected to a DSLAM indirectly via a Telstra RIM either (it does seem to work fine).

Should T1.413 be enabled? It is currently enabled for DSL Modulation in addition to G.DMT and ADSL2+. I assume disabling these extraneous modulation methods doesn't really accomplish too much, I imagine it very marginally (milliseconds) improves the time it takes to establish a connection since it no longer needs to determine what modulation to use.

There is no Auto or Multi-Mode setting for modulation on my D-Link Viper 2900 modem/router, it defaults to multiple methods being enabled, I'm just wanting to optimize the configuration.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:28 pm

Franpa wrote: Should T1.413 be enabled? It is currently enabled for DSL Modulation in addition to G.DMT and ADSL2+. I assume disabling these extraneous modulation methods doesn't really accomplish too much, I imagine it very marginally (milliseconds) improves the time it takes to establish a connection since it no longer needs to determine what modulation to use.
I don't think you'll find any difference by disabling T1.413. Because G.dmt is the international ITU standard and T1.413 the US ANSI standard but I don't think there are many differences.

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:03 pm

Awesome stuff. Okay now I want to know if SRA is something most people should have enabled if it is available to them or if it is mainly meant for troubleshooting a poor connection/connection issues.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:03 pm

Franpa wrote:Awesome stuff. Okay now I want to know if SRA is something most people should have enabled if it is available to them or if it is mainly meant for troubleshooting a poor connection/connection issues.
I have found a better answer in Whirlpool. It seems to be an advantage of enabling it.

"SRA software allows modems to make seamless data transfer rate changes to avoid dropping a connection. Modems are affected by cross talk from adjacent lines, as well as by other interference such as temperature changes and radio signals. Any interference on the connection can cause a modem to retrain on another connection and drop the existing connection. SRA makes dynamic data transfer rate changes to accommodate temporary noise conditions on the line thus preventing dropped connections."

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:40 pm

Yeah, there's that Whirlpool info, the info at the bottom of http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsl_technology.htm and a whole heap of users across the internet that are all guessing when SRA should be utilized by a consumer. There's no clear info it seems on whether it is meant for debugging/working around buggy connections at the expense of overall performance or if it is something you should turn on and leave on even if you have an excellent connection.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:30 pm

Franpa wrote:Yeah, there's that Whirlpool info, the info at the bottom of http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsl_technology.htm and a whole heap of users across the internet that are all guessing when SRA should be utilized by a consumer. There's no clear info it seems on whether it is meant for debugging/working around buggy connections at the expense of overall performance or if it is something you should turn on and leave on even if you have an excellent connection.
I think there is no issue by leaving it turned on, if above explained is practical :)