Bridge NBN Modem ZTE ZXHN H268A to use with ASUS RT-AC5300?

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
VinceS

Bridge NBN Modem ZTE ZXHN H268A to use with ASUS RT-AC5300?

Post by VinceS » Mon May 29, 2017 6:07 pm

Well the NBN is on and my network is in a mess since last Thursday when NBN switched on, but at least it works! If I can just figure out how to bridge the new Exetel supplied ZTE modem I expect all problems will melt away. But the doc it comes with has no clues about that. I even signed up to the zte support site and it is so amateurish even a determined old buzzard like me couldn't figure out how to find anything useful. Is there a techie here that knows what the correct settings should be for bridging this modem please?

I run a small engineering business from home and what I am trying to do is a) enjoy the FTTN NBN at something akin to 100/40 speeds, b) run 3 VOIP lines into the premises, being personal, business and fax numbers (the phones are all ported and paid to Exetel, prob finalise porting later this week), and c) continue to enjoy the better wireless and QOS control etc of the (damned expensive!) AC5300 router.

None of my existing phone equipment is VOIP compatible but I have been running the main handset through a Netcomm V300 VOIP router for many years. I now expect to run the two voice handsets into a CISCO SPA 112 two port phone adaptor and hook the fax up to the V300, eventually pensioning it off to a fax server service at some future juncture. Whether the SPA112 and V300 are best plugged into the now (to-be!) bridged H268A or the AC5300 is something I would appreciate tips on too?

Previously with ADSL I ran the AC5300 through a TP-Link TD-8816 V8.2 modem and got 16/0.9 speeds. Now I am only getting 40/26 from the 100/40 service, but will look at optimising this later, maybe wait until after copper switch-off? But if there are any suggestions about settings to ensure best speed I would love to hear them too.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Bleeding edge tech, ain't it grand...!!!

Amila Fernando
Forum Admin

Re: Bridge NBN Modem ZTE ZXHN H268A to use with ASUS RT-AC53

Post by Amila Fernando » Mon May 29, 2017 8:05 pm

VinceS wrote:Well the NBN is on and my network is in a mess since last Thursday when NBN switched on, but at least it works! If I can just figure out how to bridge the new Exetel supplied ZTE modem I expect all problems will melt away. But the doc it comes with has no clues about that. I even signed up to the zte support site and it is so amateurish even a determined old buzzard like me couldn't figure out how to find anything useful. Is there a techie here that knows what the correct settings should be for bridging this modem please?

I run a small engineering business from home and what I am trying to do is a) enjoy the FTTN NBN at something akin to 100/40 speeds, b) run 3 VOIP lines into the premises, being personal, business and fax numbers (the phones are all ported and paid to Exetel, prob finalise porting later this week), and c) continue to enjoy the better wireless and QOS control etc of the (damned expensive!) AC5300 router.

None of my existing phone equipment is VOIP compatible but I have been running the main handset through a Netcomm V300 VOIP router for many years. I now expect to run the two voice handsets into a CISCO SPA 112 two port phone adaptor and hook the fax up to the V300, eventually pensioning it off to a fax server service at some future juncture. Whether the SPA112 and V300 are best plugged into the now (to-be!) bridged H268A or the AC5300 is something I would appreciate tips on too?

Previously with ADSL I ran the AC5300 through a TP-Link TD-8816 V8.2 modem and got 16/0.9 speeds. Now I am only getting 40/26 from the 100/40 service, but will look at optimising this later, maybe wait until after copper switch-off? But if there are any suggestions about settings to ensure best speed I would love to hear them too.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Kindly note that I have looked into the concerns that you have raised and dropped an email to your nominated email with some guidelines under the ticket ID: 11645414.

Feel free to reply back if you have further concerns. :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

VinceS

Post by VinceS » Tue May 30, 2017 7:21 pm

Thank you Amila for that very useful info. Could you please clarify if I need to delete the existing pre-configured Exetel_EthWAN settings sheet under the Internet - WAN - Ethernet tab so the new bridged item created in that tab can become active? Or is there somewhere I can activate the new bridged connection item I created?

Also under the Internet - WAN - DSL tab exists pre-configured Exetel_VDSL and Exetel_ADSL settings sheets where I also see I can create a new item as a bridged connection. Should I also do this here too, and do the original settings sheets also need deleting or can I activate my new sheet?

I note in the manual provided it says the following:
Bridge configuration process
1. Click Create New Item to open the page of creating new DSL connection.
2. Enter the name of the WAN connection in Connection Name .
3. Set the DSL transfer mode to be ATM.
4. Configure the VPI/VCI.
The VPI/VCI provided by carriers must be set.
5. Click Apply to apply the changes.

Edit: This is obviously talking about the DSL tab, not the Ethernet tab. So what is the right way to bridge this modem?

It has occurred to me the smartest way to achieve what I want may be to simply go to Local Network - LAN tab and turn off DHCP server for both IPv4 and IPv6? Then I would put the ASUS wireless router back in router mode but use a static IP for internet access - hopefully exactly what that should be would become obvious...

What do you think - what is the best way to get this tech working in harmony? Thank you.

AroshJ
Exetel Staff

Post by AroshJ » Tue May 30, 2017 10:24 pm

VinceS wrote:Could you please clarify if I need to delete the existing pre-configured Exetel_EthWAN settings sheet under the Internet - WAN - Ethernet tab so the new bridged item created in that tab can become active? Or is there somewhere I can activate the new bridged connection item I created?

Also under the Internet - WAN - DSL tab exists pre-configured Exetel_VDSL and Exetel_ADSL settings sheets where I also see I can create a new item as a bridged connection. Should I also do this here too, and do the original settings sheets also need deleting or can I activate my new sheet?

I note in the manual provided it says the following:
Bridge configuration process
1. Click Create New Item to open the page of creating new DSL connection.
2. Enter the name of the WAN connection in Connection Name .
3. Set the DSL transfer mode to be ATM.
4. Configure the VPI/VCI.
The VPI/VCI provided by carriers must be set.
5. Click Apply to apply the changes.

Edit: This is obviously talking about the DSL tab, not the Ethernet tab. So what is the right way to bridge this modem?

It has occurred to me the smartest way to achieve what I want may be to simply go to Local Network - LAN tab and turn off DHCP server for both IPv4 and IPv6? Then I would put the ASUS wireless router back in router mode but use a static IP for internet access - hopefully exactly what that should be would become obvious...

What do you think - what is the best way to get this tech working in harmony? Thank you.
Please note that I have send you a specific email under the same ticket bearing reference number 11645414 in order to address above concerns. You may reply to the same email thread if there are any further issues.

VinceS

Post by VinceS » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:29 pm

Thank you for your response Arosh, essentially stating "the ZTE modem needs to be plugged into the wall socket. Since you wish to configure the ZTE device in bridge mode you may delete the Exetel_VDSL PPPoE interface. This can be applied assuming that you are planning to configure the ASUS router to dial the PPPoE connection."

What I am trying to do is get my existing equipment to work with the NBN. Simplistically, I just wanted to remove the old modem and install the new. I am not trying to make it complicated or have some special thing going on. Just want decent wireless and 3 VOIP lines.

Obviously the ZTE modem is plugged into the wall. Into that is plugged the ASUS RT-AC5300 wireless router which also has a Netcomm V300 VOIP modem plugged into it and running one VOIP line through that. I also have a CISCO SPA 112 two port phone adaptor that I will be using to convert the other two copper line phones to VOIP, when the Exetel port of these phones completes.

So I understood bridging the ZTE modem was the simplest solution and use the ASUS to send the VDSL2 connection details. If that is wrong please say.

I do see I could turn off DHCP in the ZTE and turn it on in the ASUS but leave the VDSL2 connection to the ZTE and allocate a static IP to the WAN from the ASUS. Would this be smarter? It certainly leaves the traffic connection with the ZTE, which would have to be the most efficient? But I guess I would plug the CISCO into the ASUS to keep QOS together?

Mate I do have a clue so won't get lost if you give me technical info / hard jobs to do, but please I just want to get this stuff all working. Perhaps that's the correct question is "How would you set it up if it was at your place?" Thank you.

AroshJ
Exetel Staff

Post by AroshJ » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:08 pm

VinceS wrote:I do see I could turn off DHCP in the ZTE and turn it on in the ASUS but leave the VDSL2 connection to the ZTE and allocate a static IP to the WAN from the ASUS. Would this be smarter? It certainly leaves the traffic connection with the ZTE, which would have to be the most efficient? But I guess I would plug the CISCO into the ASUS to keep QOS together?

Mate I do have a clue so won't get lost if you give me technical info / hard jobs to do, but please I just want to get this stuff all working. Perhaps that's the correct question is "How would you set it up if it was at your place?" Thank you.
Please note that we have provided you a feedback in relation to the above query through the same email thread. Ticket ID: 11645414.

VinceS

Post by VinceS » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:23 pm

The modem is now working beautifully. As always, simple in the end. So here is the answer for anyone else looking for it:

Do a factory reset on the ZTE modem and plug an ethernet cable to it. Go to 192.168.20.1 and log in. First thing is change admin and user passwords. Then go to Internet in top bar item and WAN in side bar. In VSL tab make a new item Called Bridged by Me and select Bridge Connection from the "Type" box drop-down menu and PTM from "DSL Transfer Mode" box. Select VLAN Off. Apply. Click delete icon against the other items so only one remaining is your new bridge. Go to Ethernet tab and repeat same procedure (no DSL box here, of course!).

You also need to turn the WLAN off so the upstream router can do its job. Either press and hold the WLAN button on the box or go to Local Network in top bar and select to turn it off in WLAN tab. The WLAN in this modem is just fine, just that the WLAN in the ASUS RT-AC5300 router is even better, for higher speed at distance.

That is it. Leave DHCP server turned on. Connect it to, and put VSL account details in, the upstream router and you are go. Can find the modem using 192.168.20.1 whenever you like.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:30 pm

VinceS wrote:The modem is now working beautifully. As always, simple in the end. So here is the answer for anyone else looking for it:

Do a factory reset on the ZTE modem and plug an ethernet cable to it. Go to 192.168.20.1 and log in. First thing is change admin and user passwords. Then go to Internet in top bar item and WAN in side bar. In VSL tab make a new item Called Bridged by Me and select Bridge Connection from the "Type" box drop-down menu and PTM from "DSL Transfer Mode" box. Select VLAN Off. Apply. Click delete icon against the other items so only one remaining is your new bridge. Go to Ethernet tab and repeat same procedure (no DSL box here, of course!).

You also need to turn the WLAN off so the upstream router can do its job. Either press and hold the WLAN button on the box or go to Local Network in top bar and select to turn it off in WLAN tab. The WLAN in this modem is just fine, just that the WLAN in the ASUS RT-AC5300 router is even better, for higher speed at distance.

That is it. Leave DHCP server turned on. Connect it to, and put VSL account details in, the upstream router and you are go. Can find the modem using 192.168.20.1 whenever you like.

Finally great news and thanks for sharing the steps you have followed, which is useful for all the users. :)