D-Link DSL-G225 ('N 300') ADLS/VDSL modem connection problem

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
AlexN

D-Link DSL-G225 ('N 300') ADLS/VDSL modem connection problem

Post by AlexN » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:27 pm

We had a lighting strike during a violent thunderstorm the other night - we disconnected the computers when we were woken up by it, but forgot to unplug the ASUS modem/router, which is now cooked.

We bought a D-Link 'N 300' (DSL-G225) to replace the dead modem/router, but noticed a hum on the line and no internet server access. Repairs have been made - very promptly and rapidly - to the incoming phone line by Telstra after I reported the problem to Exetel Support, but I am still having trouble connecting: the 'internet connection' light is on but red, and no incoming data via the Exetel 'ADSL2' link. Phone line is crystal clear again now, though.

As far as I can tell, the settings plus my user name and password are correct, but we aren't connecting to the internet. We are spending a fortune on hotpsots trying to figure this out and use usual essential day-to-day functions such as email (but lucky that we have those!).

The modem is set to PPoE/LLC, 0-8-35, VMUX is -1, no PPP pass-through, primary DNS set to 220.233.0.4, secondary to 220.233.0.3.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Alex.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: D-Link DSL-G225 ('N 300') ADLS/VDSL modem connection problem

Post by KavindaS » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:29 pm

AlexN wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:27 pm

The modem is set to PPoE/LLC, 0-8-35, VMUX is -1, no PPP pass-through, primary DNS set to 220.233.0.4, secondary to 220.233.0.3.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Alex.
Hi Alex,

Welcome to the Exetel forum :) . If you have the ADSL line sync (DSL light solid on ) with your new modem, one more time try doing a factory reset to the modem and reconfigure it with the modem basic settings as per below.

1. Correct Exetel provided radius username and password.
2. PPPoE/LLC
3. VPI - and VCI 35
4. Ip addresses and DNS settings assign automatically. If manually needs only (primary DNS set to 220.233.0.4, secondary to 220.233.0.3 )

If the service still not authenticating, I would like to have a check on this with a line test and therefore, provide the recent service issue ticket reference number here or PM me your 10 digit telephone number.

AlexN

Post by AlexN » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:15 pm

Hello KavindaS,

Thank you very much for your reply. The internet light on the modem is solid green, but still no data coming down the line.

I reset the modem to factory defaults this morning before adding in the DNS IP addresses, and the Telstra technician rest it as well, yesterday.

I'll try that again. The ticket ref. no. is 14167367.

Thanks, Alex.

AlexN

Post by AlexN » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:30 pm

DSL light was on and solid as well.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:35 pm

AlexN wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:30 pm
DSL light was on and solid as well.
Hi Alex,

Thank you for providing the reference details and I have checked the service connectivity within the Exetel network. Your modem appears to be correctly authenticated and I can see the session. However, there is less packet flow the modem and therefore, i have cleared the connected circuit from here. Please have the modem power reboot and check the service.

AlexN

Post by AlexN » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:49 pm

Hello again KavindaS,

It looks as though everything is fixed, thank you very much :). Things are a lot faster after I rebooted the modem - the connection via the 'old' modem (ASUS DSL-AC68U) was never very quick to begin with.

I manage to sort things out at this end after speaking to the phone help line for half an hour this afternoon. I downloaded Firefox (safari would probably have worked too), and used the D-Link connection wizard to set things up. A major difference this time around since I first used the wizard to set the router up was to use the AAPT settings, as recommended on one of the Exetel Forum pages. I had used 'Other' previously, and made some things up :oops: .

Everything is running beautifully now: very crisp, quick and responsive.

Thank you very very much for you help. The you, phone help line and the Telstra technician have all been very helpful indeed.

Best regards,
Alex Newman.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:58 pm

AlexN wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:49 pm
Hello again KavindaS,

It looks as though everything is fixed, thank you very much :). Things are a lot faster after I rebooted the modem - the connection via the 'old' modem (ASUS DSL-AC68U) was never very quick to begin with.

I manage to sort things out at this end after speaking to the phone help line for half an hour this afternoon. I downloaded Firefox (safari would probably have worked too), and used the D-Link connection wizard to set things up. A major difference this time around since I first used the wizard to set the router up was to use the AAPT settings, as recommended on one of the Exetel Forum pages. I had used 'Other' previously, and made some things up :oops: .

Everything is running beautifully now: very crisp, quick and responsive.

Thank you very very much for you help. The you, phone help line and the Telstra technician have all been very helpful indeed.

Best regards,
Alex Newman.
Hi Alex,

That is a strong positive feedback and we are glad to hear the good news from your side. Enjoy the internet and do not hesitate to contact us in future, for any service assistance.

AlexN

Post by AlexN » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:40 am

Hello KavindaS,

You beat me to it! I meant to post here yesterday but got caught up in day-long treks around Sydney and the Blue Mountains in the heat. By the timn I got home I gave up for the day.

But as I said, great service, and the internet is now very snappy :).

Cheers,
Alex.

nilushid
Exetel Staff

Post by nilushid » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:33 pm

AlexN wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:40 am

But as I said, great service, and the internet is now very snappy :).

Cheers,
Alex.
Thanks Alex...