Setting Bridge mode on ZTE H268a for fixed wireless nbn

Modem setup, reviews and questions (All brands, including wireless modems)
sgt5

Setting Bridge mode on ZTE H268a for fixed wireless nbn

Post by sgt5 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:48 pm

I've been trying all morning to set up the ZTE H268a modem provided by Exetel in bridge mode to use with my pre-existing netgear R7000 router but have not succeeded. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

I found these instructions on the exetel wiki - Can someone please answer the questions in red?:

1. Log in to the Administrator mode – 192.168.20.1 and enter Username/Password as admin/admin

2. Select "Internet" in top menu

3. Select "WAN" in left menu

4. Chose WAN type that you want to bridge – DSL or Ethernet --> Which one do I select if I have an NBN Fixed Wireless connection?

5. Select "+Create New Item" to create your new Bridge Mode connection

6. Name your "Connection Name" as something useful like "Exetel_ADSL_Bridge"

7. Select appropriate "DSL Transfer Mode" – ATM for ADSL (VPI/VCI = 8/35) or PTM for VDSL. For Ethernet, just select "Bridge Connection" --> Which one do I select if I have an NBN Fixed Wireless connection?

8. Select "Type" (ADSL/VDSL) as "Bridge Connection"

9. Hit "Apply" and you will be in bridge mode --> Do I need to delete the pre-existing configurations named Exetel_VDSL and Exetel_ADSL and Exetel_Ethwan or will the H268a just ignore those once I click apply?

10. Configure the 'client' (computer or Ethernet Router of your choice) that resides behind (LAN side) of the Bridge Mode modem as a PPPoE client with your Exetel broadband credentials

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: Setting Bridge mode on ZTE H268a for fixed wireless nbn

Post by KavindaS » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:50 pm

sgt5 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:48 pm

Please find the below answers.

4. Chose WAN type that you want to bridge – DSL or Ethernet --> Which one do I select if I have an NBN Fixed Wireless connection?

Ethernet

7. Select appropriate "DSL Transfer Mode" – ATM for ADSL (VPI/VCI = 8/35) or PTM for VDSL. For Ethernet, just select "Bridge Connection" --> Which one do I select if I have an NBN Fixed Wireless connection?

Bridge connection

9. Hit "Apply" and you will be in bridge mode --> Do I need to delete the pre-existing configurations named Exetel_VDSL and Exetel_ADSL and Exetel_Ethwan or will the H268a just ignore those once I click apply?

ignore - no need to delete

10. Configure the 'client' (computer or Ethernet Router of your choice) that resides behind (LAN side) of the Bridge Mode modem as a PPPoE client with your Exetel broadband credentials

sgt5

Post by sgt5 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:56 pm

The only reason I was going to bridge the modem was so that I could use the VOIP on the modem for my phone (the R7000 doesn't have one) - but apparently the VOIP on the modem won't work if the modem is in bridge mode - is that right?

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:19 pm

sgt5 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:56 pm
The only reason I was going to bridge the modem was so that I could use the VOIP on the modem for my phone (the R7000 doesn't have one) - but apparently the VOIP on the modem won't work if the modem is in bridge mode - is that right?
That is right.....