Did these emails come from Exetel

Malware detection, cleaning and prevention

Did these emails come from Exetel

Postby patara on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:09 am

Hi, on the 12th April I received 2 emails from noreply@exemail.com.au. They were both titled 'Scanned image from MX-2600N' and both contained an attachment, but no body letter. Are these from Exetel? I'm not opening the attachment until I know for sure what it is about and if they really are from Exetel. About 2 hours before they arrived I got a call on my landline from a person wanting to discuss connecting to Exetel NBN. She did not know I was already with Exetel until I told her. I did not give her my details, e.g. email address etc.. She did know my full name. I'm wondering if this person [Christina] is from Exetel. She told me about a special offer and gave me a reference number and said she would ring back at a more convenient time to discuss the plans further. I thought these emails may be from her, but there are no details written in the emails and I don't know why a scanned image would be sent to me.
Could you advise please....Patricia
patara

Re: Did these emails come from Exetel

Postby Dazzled on Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:01 am

I received some like this on the 11th, with a .doc file attached. If you look at the email header Received: fields you can see where they passed through. Mine were spoofed.

That Subject: header "Scanned image from MX-2600N" is used by known Windows malware .
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Did these emails come from Exetel

Postby patara on Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:27 am

OK, thanks Dazzled. I'll ignore them then. I wouldn't have even considered them except I got that phone call a few hours earlier and thought it may be connected.....Patricia
patara

Return to Virus / spam / spyware issues