Email Hoax being circulated to Exetel users

Malware detection, cleaning and prevention
Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Email Hoax being circulated to Exetel users

Post by Gidget » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:42 pm

There is already a place in your User Facilities to view messages sent to you from Exetel, but Exetel does not appear to have made use of the facility for recent messages for some reason - the last entry in my User Facilities is dated 27 May 2014. Perhaps this is because the emails were not sent out "in house" - probably all the more reason why they should be. James, care to comment?

To read the messages after you log in to your User Facilities, click on the Account tab, and then on the Messages tab.

I naturally agree with your other points about links in emails, IanS :-).
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

IanS

Post by IanS » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:50 pm

Gidget wrote:There is already a place in your User Facilities to view messages sent to you from Exetel, but Exetel does not appear to have made use of the facility for recent messages for some reason - the last entry in my User Facilities is dated 27 May 2014. Perhaps this is because the emails were not sent out "in house" - probably all the more reason why they should be. James, care to comment?

To read the messages after you log in to your User Facilities, click on the Account tab, and then on the Messages tab.

I naturally agree with your other points about links in emails, IanS :-).
Yes Gidget, this is where I looked & also checked the forum too.

May I also suggest that you apply a banner or a popup message to indicate you have a message, because most people aren’t going to click on the Messages drop down menu unless it “slaps them in the face” :!:

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:45 pm

Your last para needs to be addressed by Exetel - I'm only a volunteer admin on the Forum :-)
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

sable

Post by sable » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:10 pm

Ian S
There was a thread started by ShaminG with the title Billing changes In July 2014 on 12 June, it is still there with no responses look in the Admin/Invoice/Billing section.

bt

IanS

Post by IanS » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:24 pm

sable wrote:Ian S
There was a thread started by ShaminG with the title Billing changes In July 2014 on 12 June, it is still there with no responses look in the Admin/Invoice/Billing section.

bt
Well if there was a posting there from Exetel, then this thread wouldn't be required.
The main issues are:
1) they used MailChimp, when they haven't before,
2) the message was full of hyperlinks with mothering pointing directly to an Exetel site
3) I received a notice "Important Notice: Billing changes effective 14 July for mobile customers who receive their bill on the 1st of each month." When I don't have any mobile services with Exetel!!!
4) no other references, either in the forum or on their website

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:20 pm

I think that the main problem here is circulating users with mail that comes from *mcdlv.net. It is caught as spam by anybody with a decent set of filters.

A second problem was the inclusion of tracking - this causes an immediate no-questions-asked rejection by my system - at least until I recovered it. This, along with fraud, is another good reason to never display HTML email.

muzzatron

Post by muzzatron » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:24 pm

HI - I get these from time to time. They are always obvious. But a weird thing happened today. I opened my email and all my passwords were blank, so Mail was asking for my passwords to email accounts. Then I put them in and downloaded emails and got two scammy emails including this one:

A bit unsettling. Hopefully a coincidence? I never click on those scam emails so don't feel I have done anything.
Attachments
SCAM 1.jpeg
SCAM 1.jpeg (27.89 KiB) Viewed 161 times

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:44 pm

Display the header and message in plain text.

The Received: fields in the header will show the path this has taken to reach you. The true destination of the link will also be revealed.

If you have sent your password inadvertently go to the User Facility and change them. I'm not sure what you actually did with the password.

muzzatron

Post by muzzatron » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:01 pm

HI!

I saved the email as plain text and it reads like this:

Subject: Information Update
Date: 21 September 2018 at 11:07:47 AM AEST
Reply-To: <srv@i9.cm>

Exetel! Mail Alert

Your Exetel Service account has been temporarily restricted.

Click to update Info

Thank you.

I also got the same email, but says my SMS account has been suspended too.

I didn't click on the the link they sent. As i am always wary of scams. Not sure why I had to re-enter my email password, before I downloaded the scam email. Doesn't add up.
Ill go change my passwords too. Thanks.