Blocked for Virus, No Notification

Malware detection, cleaning and prevention
drayzen

Blocked for Virus, No Notification

Post by drayzen » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:21 pm

I have just found out that my father's account has been blocked for having a virus.
This is funny seeing as it was just the other day I set up the $2/m Exetel SPAM/Virus option.

Anyway, I have now been given the address of the unblocking page but there had been no notification to his email as it says there should have been:
Q&A Quote:
Q. Why block my access? Why not just call me to let me know?

A. ... We have tried to contact you via your nominated contact email account without success. ...
No, you haven't actually.
I only found out through an email to billing@ as the only recent communication from Exetel were two emails about the CCard used for payment expiring.
Seeing as I couldn't find any reason for the service not working I had logged a fault which is just a waste of everybody's time.

I would send you an email but the last one went unanswered, so here I am on the forum again...

How long does it take for the service to become re-activated?
..The wolf does not concern itself with the opinions of sheep..

JamesR

Re: Blocked for Virus, No Notification

Post by JamesR » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:34 pm

drayzen wrote:I have just found out that my father's account has been blocked for having a virus.
This is funny seeing as it was just the other day I set up the $2/m Exetel SPAM/Virus option.

Anyway, I have now been given the address of the unblocking page but there had been no notification to his email as it says there should have been:
Q&A Quote:

A. ... We have tried to contact you via your nominated contact email account without success. ...
No, you haven't actually.
I only found out through an email to billing@ as the only recent communication from Exetel were two emails about the CCard used for payment expiring.
Seeing as I couldn't find any reason for the service not working I had logged a fault which is just a waste of everybody's time.

I would send you an email but the last one went unanswered, so here I am on the forum again...

You should follow the instructions for a VIRUS BLOCK at http://blocked.exetel.com.au/ after you are sure you have removed the cause of the virus.
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:37 pm

drayzen wrote:I have just found out that my father's account has been blocked for having a virus.
the spam protection is to stop you from receiving them, you get blocked for sending them, it means he has a virus or some spyware on his computer that is attempting to send out excessive amounts of email
drayzen wrote:
Q&A Quote:
you should have been redirected to a page that shows you the reason for the block, this doesn't always seem to work though
drayzen wrote:
you can unblock it yourself from that same page and it tells you how long it will be, I can't recall how long it takes but it is within a few hours, part of the unblock is you agreeing that you have fixed the problem, keep in mind if he still has the virus or whatever that is pumping out emails and you haven't fixed it you will just end up getting blocked again, suggest checking the machine thoroughly before you unblock it

drayzen

Post by drayzen » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:36 pm

Hi James,
Thakyou for the information, but I think you missed the point of my post.
I was already aware of how to turn it on again.

The real issue I had (as per the subject) was that there was no notification prior to the account being blocked, while the exetel site says that it is standard practice.
Should an email have been sent prior to the blocking, or is the Q&A on the virus info page incorrect?

As far as turning on the SPAM/Virus protection, I'm aware it doesn't clean a local infection, it was just a funny coincidence... :roll:

thanks, Al

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:51 pm

drayzen wrote:The real issue I had (as per the subject) was that there was no notification prior to the account being blocked, while the exetel site says that it is standard practice.
Should an email have been sent prior to the blocking, or is the Q&A on the virus info page incorrect?
That is a good question, because in the case of a virus or spam block it makes sense for the block to be activated immediately upon detection of such an occurrence. So there isn't any time to send an email notification prior to blockage.

Notification does, however, make sense for abuse and credit card blocks, so that sentence may very well be a remnant from other block pages.

Exetel, deliberately, have multiple mechanisms set up to cater for exactly this sort of thing: Email notification, real-time HTTP redirection to blocked.exetel.com.au, ADSL status in your member facilities, WAN IP address of your modem changing to 10.x.x.x. Each of these methods is subject to failure (i.e. email not appropriate, redirection not functioning as intended, user unaware of their WAN IP address, etc) but there are usually enough redundant mechanisms to verify the reason for a block. There is nothing wrong with logging a fault though. This is, after all, what a helpdesk is for.

drayzen

Post by drayzen » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:36 am

Thanks Corey,
Parhaps there could be something put on the user start page?
I had looged in to my dad's account a few times looking for something to explain it, but I didn't see anything obvious.
Perhaps the ADSL page was showing as blocked and I missed it.
I have additionally always had my own email address in as a secondary contact and nothing came through to me.

I guess the strange warning mesage on his system was the rediretion gone wrong.
I got him to read out to me over the phone what he saw on screen and put in in an update to the fault.
I have since closed the fault so I'm not sure it you can see the attached update still...
I think it said something about 'cache operator' and a couple of long multi-level exetel directories.
Perhaps that will help correct the redirection?
He's using Firefox.

thanks, Al

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:08 pm

I'm sorry drayzen, but I don't understand any of that. "User start page"? "ADSL page?" I am also not aware of any "cache operator" error page or multi-level exetel directories.

Even if I did understand, I'm just a forum moderator / fellow Exetel customer so I would suggest you liaise with Exetel directly via residentialsupport@exetel.com.au or by replying to any previous helpdesk tickets. I personally find the most reliable means to check a blocked status is via the Member Facilities (under Account Details > View Exetel Services I think) or by checking your modem's WAN IP address (to see if it is a 10.x.x.x address) and comparing to the list at http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=298&t=26525