SPAM from Exetel??

Malware detection, cleaning and prevention
OzButcher

SPAM from Exetel??

Post by OzButcher » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:34 am

I noticed I had the $2 spam blocker switched on so I disabled it.

Today I had 30 spam emails since last night and a lot of them are from @exetel.com.au many of them from my own username@exetel.com.au

Dunno whats going on. I haven't used or registered my email address with exetel anywhere as I don't even use it! How could it be getting spammed??

Some of the subjects headings:

"Overdue Invoice Billing Department"
"Your Order"
"Delivery Status Notification"
"Hi"
"support@paypal.com"

Is there a abuse email address we can get these checked out?
Got a DENT? The Ding King - Mobile Paintless Dent Removal. http://www.thedingking.com.au

James
Exetel Staff

Re: SPAM from Exetel??

Post by James » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:37 am

OzButcher wrote:I noticed I had the $2 spam blocker switched on so I disabled it.

Today I had 30 spam emails since last night and a lot of them are from @exetel.com.au many of them from my own username@exetel.com.au

Dunno whats going on. I haven't used or registered my email address with exetel anywhere as I don't even use it! How could it be getting spammed??

Some of the subjects headings:

"Overdue Invoice Billing Department"
"Your Order"
"Delivery Status Notification"
"Hi"
"support@paypal.com"

Is there a abuse email address we can get these checked out?
It's just spam, nothing can be done about it.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:44 am

James wrote: It's just spam, nothing can be done about it.
other than using the spam filter of course :)

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:38 am

jok11n wrote:
James wrote: It's just spam, nothing can be done about it.
other than using the spam filter of course :)
Exactly:)

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:02 pm

Note that spammers fake the email headers, even to the extent of making it look like you sent it to yourself. They may have picked up your address from someone else's compromised computer, or they may have brute force guessed it. If it is a dictionary word or a phone book name, then they got it that way. If you examine the header (turn header display ON in your email client) you will see the address that the Exetel router received it from. Everything else is probably spoofed.

austdata

Post by austdata » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:04 pm

My favourite are the ones they send out that look like a bounced message from me. :shock:

I've added filters too.
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

monsoon

Post by monsoon » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:55 pm

deleted duplicate post from slow connection problems --- :roll:
Last edited by monsoon on Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monsoon

Post by monsoon » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:05 pm

I have also been bombarded with a load of spam and I have only been connected for a few days. It seems to be coming from the same outfit and I find it very suspicious that someone had got hold of my email address as I have not given this email to absolutly no one so I'm thinking some of the people who are contracted to Exetel are selling our email addresses. Anyway I have disabled this email account as it's a joke and will use my own domain names and other email accounts. :evil:

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:25 pm

Monsoon, I have a collection of Exetel email addresses, going back years, and only one is spammed at all - and that one gets a daily pounding. Its distinctive feature is that it is a word found in any dictionary or phone book. That is all that is needed for a bot to fire something at you. You don't need a conspiracy.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:26 pm

Dazzled wrote:Monsoon, I have a collection of Exetel email addresses, going back years, and only one is spammed at all - and that one gets a daily pounding. Its distinctive feature is that it is a word found in any dictionary or phone book. That is all that is needed for a bot to fire something at you. You don't need a conspiracy.
Ditto, almost. I have a single @exemail address and have NO spam on it. Distinctive name. But I have a mate with a very generic type email address (@exemail) who gets a heap - and he's never used it to sign up for stuff.

Blame the bots - they guess addresses and just add domains to the end of them.

Unless you're Senator Conroy in which case blame the Russian Mob :roll:

austdata

Post by austdata » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:38 pm

monsoon wrote:I have also been bombarded with a load of spam and I have only been connected for a few days. It seems to be coming from the same outfit and I find it very suspicious that someone had got hold of my email address as I have not given this email to absolutly no one so I'm thinking some of the people who are contracted to Exetel are selling our email addresses. Anyway I have disabled this email account as it's a joke and will use my own domain names and other email accounts. :evil:
If you're not using it any more, post it here (just the user name part) and some of us may be able to explain why it was hit so hard by spam.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:43 pm

monsoon wrote:I have also been bombarded with a load of spam and I have only been connected for a few days. It seems to be coming from the same outfit and I find it very suspicious that someone had got hold of my email address as I have not given this email to absolutly no one so I'm thinking some of the people who are contracted to Exetel are selling our email addresses. Anyway I have disabled this email account as it's a joke and will use my own domain names and other email accounts. :evil:
Exetel don't have any contracted staff, our Sri Lanka operation are actually Exetel employees (they aren't contracted to a 3rd party), and besides that, there's no way they can obtain a full listing of everyone's email accounts!

I believe your issue is likely to have been:
- An old email account that a previous customer had received spam on.
- An easily guessable email address, so the bots just simply guess them (typically ISP servers would be ideal targets, they do have a lot of email accounts).
- An email account that was posted to the internet before (and so was discovered by bots).
- For good measure, The Russian mob :D

To reduce / remove spam, choose a word that is uncommon. I have an exemail account and it does not receive any spam at all, then again, it doesn't receive much email either. It's not a dictionary word, and it's not easily found on the internet. It does not contain any special characters, and it is just 6 letters long.
You could try adding a number(s) to the email account name, as this makes it much more difficult to guess.

austdata

Post by austdata » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:59 pm

JasonM wrote: To reduce / remove spam, choose a word that is uncommon. I have an exemail account and it does not receive any spam at all, then again, it doesn't receive much email either. It's not a dictionary word, and it's not easily found on the internet. It does not contain any special characters, and it is just 6 letters long.
You could try adding a number(s) to the email account name, as this makes it much more difficult to guess.
Or just add your initial. So if your name was, say James M, you would be jamesm at exe etc... :mrgreen:

majones

Post by majones » Fri May 29, 2009 9:13 am

Although it may be obvious turning on the $2 spam filter would probably work, I forward my account to gmail and use their spam filter.
Interestingly I received this fairly genuine looking spam email today:
Its obviously spam, but some less knowledgeable may not realise.
Just thought I'd add it to a known list of spam posing as Exetel.

Dear Subscriber,

Exetel wish to notify all our customers
of the problem we are having on your email
account due to virus which infiltrate our server.
We discovered that in a few days from now,
subscribers will not be able to access
his or her email account residing in Exetel
central server system.

In that regards,You are advice to immediately
send us the required information so as to update your
account.

Full Name:........................
Email Address:.................
Password:.........................
Telephone:......................

Thanks for your understanding.